Creative X-FI / windows update, problem and fix

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Creative X-FI / windows update, problem and fix

I recently ran into a problem with my x-fi card that would occasionaly make my bf2 game lock up. heres the reason and the fix.

the reason for the lock ups I found out were my sound card, a creative x-fi, I recently did a windows update and right after I did that I noticed my game kept locking up about once maybe twice a day. I remembered that windows updated my sound driver, the driver was dated june of this year but creative hasnt made any new drivers for the x-fi since oct. of 06.

that being said the windows driver for my card was obviously the culprit, but removing soundblaster drivers can be a bit of a pain, so heres how I removed them, I went into my add remove programs menu under control panel, then removed all creative software and drivers, next I went into program files and removed all creative files, and finally I used this program call "driver cleaner" and removed the rest of the files that I couldnt get. after that is all said and done, restart your computer and use the creative drivers from their website, it should be dated oct. 06.

hope this helps somone other than me

Re: Creative X-FI / windows update, problem and fix

Their drivers (latest) gave me a Stop 0x0A error. Before that, it would loop every 1p sound, after 5 minutes of play I had quite a nice musical beat to play to.

Comment

There aparently are alot of problems with this new driver from microsoft, apparently the whole goal with this new driver was added DRM to the end user, thanks alot MS.. for nothing

Comment

Brilliant, the only addition DRM???

What a waste of bandwidth...

Comment

Originally posted by alex98uk View Post
          Brilliant, the only addition DRM???
          There is a little more to them than that,

Hope you have System restore or some other way to go back to the previous drivers.

Comment

Thank you soooo much ||3RB||MOBB

I bought a X-Fi Xtreme Gamer Fatal1ty Professional 3 weeks ago, unfortunately my Asus Striker Motherboard upped and died the afternoon I'd finished testing the card. One week later I got the replacement MB and set the system back up and updated the drivers via Microsoft (big mistake!!!). From that point on BF2 would hard lock after about 20 minutes of play time. It was driving me nutz! I searched the Creative forums and found a number of posts with other people saying the same thing for BF2 and WoW but no hard answers or solutions. Yesterday morning found your post and followed the instructions and had a great night of BF2 last night without a single hard lock.

Cheers Dude

Comment

Thanks T@rty, the whole I posted this is because I KNEW i wouldnt be the only one running into this, I had the same lock ups, cleaned out the old driver, put in the knew and voila, problem solved.

Originaly I posted this under general discussion as to be better seen by the Bf2 community but it got moved to the tech support forum. Alot of people have no Idea that it's the microsoft driver doing this lock up.

Comment

Is this on XP or Vista? I remember installing this update, but forgot the OS

Comment

XP. In addition to the BF2 problems you guys are encountering you also lose hardware Dolby and DTS. Basically MS's attempt at forcing Vista type DRM on XP.

Comment

Do you know the KB number?

Comment

No KB number. Just MS forcing Creative to add DRM, and remove Dolby and DTS hardware encoding/decoding to get the latest drivers WHQL'ed.

Comment

Well, I have the driver dated 11/08/2006, free of DRM or not? Common sense says yes, but I don't know, this update completely wooshed by me.

Comment

Microsoft is so damn stupid, apple, (as proprietery as they are) is actually doing away with DRM ( so I've heard) and heres ms, actually destablizing systems just to implement DRM, the dolby and DTS is news to me, just a big turd on a $hit ice cream sundae.

Comment

I'd have moved to Linux years ago, just can't beat a gaming addiction

Comment

Originally posted by camperstrike View Post
                              Well, I have the driver dated 11/08/2006, free of DRM or not? Common sense says yes, but I don't know, this update completely wooshed by me.
                              If this is the one you're referring to,

Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeMusic, Platinum, Fatal1ty and Elite Pro Driver with OpenAL support 2.09.0007

then no, it doesn't have any of the DRM crap in it.

Comment

Working...
                              X