Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• State of the art Vista machine - Graphics Lag and CTD

Hi guys,

I tend to harp on in threads so ill try to keep it simple yet thorough and answer questions as they come along.

My setup:

Vista Ultimate 32 bit.
    Intel QX6850 (4 x 3.0Ghz)
    Asus Stiker Extreme Mobo
    2GB Corsair 6400 Dominator
    2 x Nvidia 8800GTXs (SLi)
    1000 Watt PSU
    30" Dell (2560x1600 resolution)
    Raptor 72Gb HDD

Ill try to explain the situation in chronological order but I am at work some of the details (i.e. hotfix KB numbers are unavailable at the moment)

I had Vista running with an E6600 CPU and 1 8800GTX and the system ran fine with about 60FPS.

I got my second 8800GTX and SLI'd and the systems FPS did not increase and BF2 became unstable with CTD's and Memory DLL errors (I used to get them now and then but now it was happening almost every map (on some servers))

I assumed the E6600 which was defiantly bottlenecking my FPS was causing the problem so to my dismay I jumped on the net and purchased the best CPU there was (last week - I’m sure there’s something better now) an Intel QX6850.

After the hardware upgrade, went into safe mode, wiped all GFX drivers and installed the latest Nvidia Drivers. (162.xx or 163.xx not sure right now)

Booted back into Vista Ultimate 32, enabled SLi again (which caused another reboot) and the machine seemed to be ready.

I ran 3dMark06 to make sure the upgrade and driver install was done correctly and my mark went from a measly 11000 to over 17000 and my FPS were over 100.

Great I thought, now the system is ready to go.

I loaded BF2 and after 1 map the game crashed with the memory problem.
    I loaded it up again and it played a few more maps but the crashed again with the memory problem.
    I loaded it again and then the lag kicked in on Strike at Karkand with FPS (Fraps installed) dropping to 1-10, sound became choppy and I exited the game (which even took at least a minute for the menu to pop up after pressing ESC).
    Not the right forum but I will add it for more info, I also run the POE2 (Point of Existence) MOD and there is a map called "Assault on Odessa" which is so laggy and choppy I press ESC as soon as it loads and takes about 5 mins for the menu to load up. (When others with lower spec can play it fine)

I did some reading and after reading a few things complaining about memory errors with BF2, SLI and Vista I did the following (gets a little sketchy here as I cannot remember the exact order of things):

Applied the C++ fix for memory (in command prompt)
    Applied the BCEDIT thing for memory.
    Installed the Microsoft Hotfix for Vista and DX10 and Multi-GPUs (which I know is irrelevant to this DX9 problem)
    Installed the Microsoft patch (which is going to be included in the update which will be released on the 14th of August) which is meant to increase performance and reliability for Vista and 3D applications (or something like that)

Rebooted a few times (after the installs) and then loaded BF2 in anticipation.

Exact same problems - GFX lag, choppy sound and constant CTD Memory DLL errors.

I did some more reading and saw that I should change the sound settings in BF2 from Software to Hardware.

I reapplied the C++ and BCEDIT fixes (as I thought I may had done it wrong), changed the sound in BF2 from software to hardware and rebooted for good measure.

I loaded BF2 and HEY PRESTO!!

It worked, all my maps were much quicker getting around 100-150FPS (Even Assault on Odessa on POE2) and no more Memory DLL crashes!!!

This glorified moment was short lived.

The game crashed suddenly in the middle of a game, no errors, nothing just quickly and quietly disappeared and nothing more than my naked desktop was sitting before me.

I assumed it was a once off, continued to play and the same thing kept happening, I did some more research and found that the maps which lagged/slowed/chopped up the graphics and sound were still a little laggy (although much better). Going back to the perfect example of the POE2 map "Assault on Odessa" it was going good on about 70FPS but would regularly drop to 10-20 when a lot of stuff happened like a Plane flew overhead or a tank rolled past. This also happened a lot on other big/complicated maps like "Strike at Karkland" and "Fushee Pass" (or whatever it's called)

So I'm now left with this state of the art machine which randomly CTD's with no errors and has GFX lag whenever a lot of stuff is happening in BF2.

I will lastly add that my resolution is always on 2560x1600, my GFX settings on BF2 are all maxed out and I refuse to drop it because I shouldn't have to. (with a £3000+ system that is)

I personally suspect dodgy sound drivers or something sound related.
    I just want to check with the community first before I wipe my system and install XP.

Sorry about the big post but I wanted to include EVERYTHING.

Re: State of the art Vista machine - Graphics Lag and CTD

Well i think as you said the problem is drivers right now,nvidia still doesnt have very good drivers for sli let alone a single card setup.

Comment

Originally posted by stephensolfo View Post
      Well i think as you said the problem is drivers right now,nvidia still doesnt have very good drivers for sli let alone a single card setup.
      Yep.. you speak the truth..SLI isn't exactly going good with Vista just yet and the drivers.. I'm assuming you've run the 163.11 Beta's they seem to be having more results.

But applying hot fix after hot fix which are all beta's right now isn't exactly a good idea either but hey its worth a shot right.

Comment

Thanks for the response guys.
        Now Im at home - the drivers I'm using are: 163.11 and yes I remember they are much more stable.
        Ill play around with some sound drivers on my hunch and let you guys know what happens.
        It kills me to say it but do you guys think disabling SLi for the time being is the best option if I want to get more gameplay in?

Apart from this issue, I like Vista and I don't really want to reinstall with XP or Dual-Boot. (Plus I hate reloading a machines)

Comment

Vista support for SLI is very weak. There are problems on both Microsoft's and Nvidia/ATI's end.

If you are a hard core gamer, which you seem to be with the expensive rig, I would instead opt to go with windows XP. Otherwise look forward to not utilizing your $600 graphics cards to their fullest.:yay:

Comment

personally i would still go with xp now unless you want the dual boot,im keeping my vista cd safe till i feel i "have to" upgrade.

Comment

Just dual-boot, otherwise there's no point with SLI...

Is it me or is SLI/xfire all half-arsed no matter what?

Comment

Vista is not direct x 9.0c friendly. I don't care what you do, you will not get BF2 to function on Vista as well as XP. I've installed Vista twice trying to get full function and decided to revert back to XP. Now, all my games are on xp hdd. I have Vista on another HDD. Vista is nice, but not for alot of games.

Comment

have you tried running memtest to check your memory? A friend of mine had similar crashes with vista / 8800gtx card and found one of his very expensive high end mushkin 2gig dimms was bad.

also try running with 1 stick at a time and see if you have any crashes.
                  "Crunch's First Officer"
                  twitter: @signaprime

Comment

I think I have fixed it.

I played for 3 hours last night with full graphics options enabled form within BF2.
                    8 x Anti-aliasing Enabled (Hardware controlled from NV Control Panel)
                    2560x1600 res and sound set to software with the sound quality at medium.

According to Fraps (after changing the locked max FPS from 100 to 300) I was getting an average of 130 FPS.

I played on 3 maps - Wake Island 07, Dragon Valley and Strike at Karkand for around 2-3 hours and it didn't crash or lag once.

What I did fail to mention is that I had those NVLDDMKM.SYS errors where the display driver stopped working. I forgot to mention because it only started happening a few days ago.

(One of many pages regarding this is: http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=518749 )

So previously I seemed to fix the lag and the Memory errors (from what I listed in my first post) but it was still randomly CTD with no errors.

I realised last night that when this NVLDDMKM.SYS error happens the screen goes blank, then reloads the image and displays an error mentioning that the NVLDDMKM.SYS stopped working and has recovered successfully.

I then thought maybe BF2 isn't crashing at all and these errors are kind of resetting the Display adaptor hence the almost immediate CTD from BF2.

So I thought what have I changed in the last few days to get this NVLDDMKM.SYS error.

I remembered that it was the Microsoft Performance and Reliability Patch (KB 38194).

I downloaded my latest SoundMax audio drivers, went into control panel, uninstalled the above mentioned hotfix), rebooted went into safe mode, it uninstalled the rest of the hotix and rebooted again, went back into safe mode, uninstalled the Nvidia drivers using the Add/Remove Programs. Ran CC Cleaner and cleaned all Nvida Display drivers (being careful not to remove the Nforce drivers!!), cleaned the SoundMax drivers, then went into C:\Windows\System 32\ and scrolled down to the files beginning with NV****.*** I checked the properties of every one of these files (there were about 10) went to the "Author" tab, and removed any files Authored by Nvidia which referenced 163.11 in the version number (as they were leftover files from my last Nvidia driver install - Seems CC didn't clean everything!).
                    Anyway, I then rebooted back into Normal Vista Start-up and it started to go on about my 8800GTX cards wanting drivers, I installed the 163.11 drivers, rebooted. When it came back into windows I enabled SLI (Which auto reboots) and then when I was back in, I loaded FRAPS then BF2 and it seemed to be running fine. I quit BF2, enabled 8xAA Hardware controlled from the control panel, loaded BF2, and applied the GAME.LOCKFPS 300 setting.

And it worked! Like mentioned above, I played for around 3 hours with FPS constantly around 130 with everything maxed out.

I’ll try again tonight but I think that’s it.

So in summary, the reason my BF was still CTD was the NVDDLMKM.SYS error.
                    I think the sound driver reinstall didn't actually do anything.
                    Removing the Hotfix and reinstalling the Video drivers fixed the NVDLLMKM.SYS error which in turn stopped my BF2 from CTDing. It seems I fixed BF2 with my previous things (C++ and BCEDIT things and Sound switched to Software)

:yay::yay:

NOTE: I think I make a mistake regarding the sound setting in BF2, when I had the problem it was set to Hardware, I changed it to Software to fix it (Not Visa Versa like I suggested in my first post). Ill double check that when I get home and let you know.

Comment

Glad you got it working, yeah, I was getting great FPS in Vista as well but gameplay was never smooth. Keep us posted.

Comment

hey,

atleast its completely fixed now, btw nice rig and VERY nice graphics card!

:salute:

Comment

Working...
                        X