Grass in BF2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grass in BF2

How come you can't see grass once you get to a certain distance? Like when you're a sniper, and you think hiding in the tall grass keeps you hidden, but really you're clearly visible to someone 50+ meters away. Kinda defeats the purpose for grass...

I've seen it like this in games for my xbox, too, so it's not just BF2.

Just curious why it does this.

Re: Grass in BF2

BF2's crappy optimization standards....

Comment

better preformance for more people.

Comment

My guess is-- The reason people can see you is because there is not enough grass to hide in. In mods there is generally more grass, shrubs, etc.
        I've had people on numerious occations walk right past me and then into their doom:evil:

Also people with shadows and dynamic lighting off have a better chance at seeing you because they can't hide in shadows and the geometry is lower sometimes making it easier to spot snipers out.

Its also about position, movement. If your at a top of a hill in a front of a bush it will make it easier to be seen as aposed to being in the middle of a hill in front of a bush. You see what I mean.

Comment

If you were to 'generate' all the objects at a longer distance it would give worse performance so you only see the detail at a certain range, however Project reality have done a great job by making the 17x17( i think ) map with a huge view distance so you can see a long long way over the map without lag.

Comment

Because EA sucks and screws up everything. lol
            They do have some good games out but they still suck...

Comment

the game loads the bigger objects first, ie surrounding hills etc first, it then moves onto the smaller detail. howerver, saying that, there is one bush that you stay hidden in.

Comment

Originally posted by ham_411 View Post
                the game loads the bigger objects first, ie surrounding hills etc first, it then moves onto the smaller detail. howerver, saying that, there is one bush that you stay hidden in.
                And that bush in on Wake Island.

Comment

This grass is annoying as hell when fighting up close, both of you go prone and neither of you can see ****.

Comment

I suggest when Crysis comes out you get it if you want real grass and bushes to hide in and play with... it will destroy BF games and the crappy graphics they employ around gameplay... Crysis and DX10 FTW!

Comment

Originally posted by zuiquan1 View Post
                      BF2's crappy optimization standards....
                      totaly

Comment

Having grass at all distances would kill most of people`s PC and the engine would just make suicide.

Grass is always mostly for the eyecandy, even in Armed Assault. I`m still waiting for a game where grass is actually useful over long distances and is not there just for the looks.

Comment

Originally posted by nadicus View Post
                          My guess is-- The reason people can see you is because there is not enough grass to hide in. In mods there is generally more grass, shrubs, etc.
                          I've had people on numerious occations walk right past me and then into their doom:evil:

Also people with shadows and dynamic lighting off have a better chance at seeing you because they can't hide in shadows and the geometry is lower sometimes making it easier to spot snipers out.

Its also about position, movement. If your at a top of a hill in a front of a bush it will make it easier to be seen as aposed to being in the middle of a hill in front of a bush. You see what I mean.
                          lol yeah i love that....i was playing on mashtuur yesterday and i was one of two of the remaining guys so i was trying to find a base to cap....then i head a car behind me so i went prone in a bush and threw a claymore in front of me. the MEC guy literally walked over me not seeing me and BOOM. It was hilarious :laugh:

Comment

i find bushes tend to always shield me form enemys eyes better than grass since bushes are always drawn out unlike grass.

Comment

That's what bushes are for.
                              Originally posted by Commado_evans View Post
                              Because DICE sucks and screws up everything. lol
                              They do have some good games out but they still suck...
                              DICE made the game, not EA. EA is the publisher for DICE.

Comment

Working...
                              X