Compressing before editing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compressing before editing

I am looking for a good compression type that can be used for editing later.

Currently I have many GBs of Fraps uncompressed video on my drive. I need to free up room by compressing the video, but I need to compress it in a format that Premier Pro 1.5 can edit at a later date. This rules out xvid and divx - everyones favorite.

How do you guys keep your unedited repository from eating your hard drive alive?

Re: Compressing before editing

Premiere Pro and other editing programs generally don't like dealing with compressed files.. uncompressed avi is your best bet for editing, especially with premiere.
    I'm not sure but you might have some luck with a quicktime format. But your best bet is to ride it out and just delete all the unused fraps.

If you have a large frap video and you only need a small part of it, you could experiment with exporting uncompressed parts of your timeline and re-importing them in the same spot and deleting the original fraps footage.

It's worth a shot

Comment

My other option is to leave it uncompressed and size it down from the initial half-size it was recorded at.

Any other suggestions?

I prefer to leave the full video intact. Frag videos are fine, but full round videos allow a better understanding of play style/methods.

Comment

I try to stay away from compressing my footage as much as i can, if you compress everything to make room for more, your quality isnt so great when you will do the final render. Like keyelite said, its better to edit with uncompressed avi. files.

Comment

Working...
        X