A Newb's guide to modding BF2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Newb's guide to modding BF2

Hi there, if you've come here to seek help with modding, read on!

As a new comer to modding BF2 you're thinking to yourself, "How the heck do i start modding!!", well Sir/Ma'am I will help you start modding BF2 for newbs.

First things first, you will want to make sure your not going to be botherd for the next 30 minutes or so, make sure you've got a nice glass of milk or mountain dew or whatever you have to drink, maybe some cookies or some food too, if you're all set then lets continue.

Go into your Battlefield 2 directory, the Default installment of it is at
    C:\Program Files\EA Games\Battlefield 2
    once in this directory, locate the folder called "mods", when you find it, go into it. you will notice you only have one folder on there called bf2, unless you have downloaded other mods then they will be there also.

Copy the bf2 folder and once its finished copying, rename the new bf2 folder to something, lets call it MyMod, go into "MyMod" folder, you will now see alot of files and a few folders.

Right click in a empty space in the folder and click View, then click Details, everything is much easyer to see and easy to sort, Now for the first part of Modding BF2 for Newb's.

find the .zip file called Objects_server, double click it to open it, in this .zip folder contains the stuff for bf2, ok to begn with all were going to do is make the M24 USMC sniper rifle have 10 bullets in a clip, and give it more damage and a faster bullet speed.

So navigate to the folder called "Weapons", then navigate to the "Handheld" folder, now a huge list of weapons comes up, search for the folder called "usrif_m24" thats the one we want.

In the M24 folder we have, three folders, and 5 other files, look for the file in that folder called "usrif_m24.tweak" now Open that file with "Notepad" or any other text editor, this file contains all the data for the M24, bullet speed, damage everything, The file is Code, alot of it will confuse you as it does me, but we want to search for a few thinngs only.

Press CTRL and the F key, you will now have a Search box, search for BeginCompefaultAmmoComp, it will find it really fast, what we just searched for is Ammo for a weapon/vehicle there are two or more in some files, tanks have three, machine gun, main cannon and smoke, helicopters have three or four, Flares, TV missile, chain gun and rocket pods.

What you want to be looking at is
    rem ---BeginCompefaultAmmoComp ---
    ObjectTemplate.createComponent DefaultAmmoComp
    ObjectTemplate.ammo.magSize 5
    ObjectTemplate.ammo.nrOfMags 7
    ObjectTemplate.ammo.reloadTime 6

Some times in certain weapons either the magsize, number of mags and the reload time wont be there, you can just add it there by typeing it so you can edit it to your liking.

Ok, so now lets edit the M24 a little, lets change the Magsize from 5 to 11, you need to have 1 more then what u put, as ingame it uses a magazine to give you ammo, duh! so 5 clips in the file = 4 in game, so change the magsize to 10 or whatever you want just dont make it rediculous like 10000, change the relaod time to something more interesting like 4 seconds, and the number of mags to 10 also, now we have this.

rem ---BeginCompefaultAmmoComp ---
    ObjectTemplate.createComponent DefaultAmmoComp
    ObjectTemplate.ammo.magSize 11
    ObjectTemplate.ammo.nrOfMags 11
    ObjectTemplate.ammo.reloadTime 4

Change it in the file, now were going to make the bullet go Much faster, and we will add some more damage, to get a 1 hit K.O, CTRL and F again, and search for "velocity" its found it, and it looks like this, ObjectTemplate.velocity 1000, thats the weapons shooting speed, the bigger the number, the faster it is, the smaller the slower!, 1000 velocity is amout the maximum speed for anything in BF2, frag 'nades are at about 35, and the USMC's Anti tank predator rocket is about 250.

Change the ObjectTemplate.velocity 1000 to be ObjectTemplate.velocity 2500
    its all you will need for a lightning fast shot

Now to modify the M24's Damage!

Search for ObjectTemplate.damage 95 and you have the M24's damage, 95 seem's like alot but its not.
    above the damage is another line of damage, the Minimum damage!
    ObjectTemplate.minDamage 1

Lets change the Min damage to 100 so its now ObjectTemplate.minDamage 100 then change the normal damage to be about 220 so its now ObjectTemplate.damage 220.

We're done modifying the M24 to be a powerful sniper
    go ahead and save the file, if you're useing Winrar it will say the name is invalid or something, just tell it so you want to save it as a file on your machine, dont change the name, and save the file in the "MyMod" folder, then in the zip folder as i pray you havent closed it, were the "usrif_m24.tweak" file is you want to select it then right click it and click "Add file to archive" if you can see it.

Locate our modified "usrif_m24.tweak" file and then add it, if you didn't rename it then it's worked perfectly and it will say would you like to overwrite/modify existing file's say yes, close the .zip folder.

Now to play our mod!

Locate your BF2 shortcut, copy it and paste a new one, rename it to MyMod, then select it, right click it and click "properties", now at the top click the tab called "Shortcut" and were it says Target, delete the text in the box To the right of it and put in
    "C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\Battlefield 2\BF2.exe" +modPath mods/MyMod +menu 1 +fullscreen 1

the C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\Battlefield 2\BF2.exe part might be different to yours, so werever your BF2 folder is, put that there instead, normally its the same.

once thats done close everything, double click the shortcut, get in game, and play as a USMC sniper with the M24 and notice how powerful it is! this concludes the Newb's guide to BF2 modding.

I hope you enjoy'd my tutorial, if you have any questions ask me on msn as i'll delighted to help people
    my msn address is - i.r.dan@hotmail.com

PS: it would be nice if a Mod/Admin Sticky'd this as there currently isnt one and i didnt know how to start modding and i found it out

Re: A Newb's guide to modding BF2

this is a lot easier to understand than most mod tuts i seen thanks, im gonna try it now

Comment

holy crap dude, you live in northampton, i live like 10 mins away from northampton XD in Daventry, but yeh no one else had anything liek this on the web and i learnt to mod by my self so i thought id put it here for people

Please people, tell me what you think of my guide.

Comment

very good, though you can do alot more

have you gone over to the BFSP forums dudbomb?

Comment

Originally posted by dudbomb View Post
          (WARNING, THE FORUMS EMOTIONS REPLACED CERTAIN PARTS OF CODE/TEXT MAINLY THE EMOTION it is a : and a D following it)
          Could just disable smilies, under additional options.

Comment

Thanks spik3d, i will do that in a second, and sars i have been to the forums but found nothing that much...but this is just a started for people, i couldnt find anything on basic BF2 modding, the mod tool seem'ed very complicated so i just played around and found out

Comment

awsome guide! after reading it all i really wanted to do this! BUT, i cant seem to open the usrif_m24.tweak file in notepad.

Comment

i think you need to go into the Mod folder and find a .con file and set it to allways open with notepad, try that then try it and btw you Double click the file, not right click

Comment

or you can drag it to your desktop and then edit it there

i might start writing how to edit kits and other map stuff if people are interested

i have time to kill

EDIT: also dudbomb, around the code parts you can put

[ code][/code ] (minus the spaces in the thingy)

so it lookes like this

Code:
                  code goes here!

Comment

Originally posted by Sars99
                    or you can drag it to your desktop and then edit it there

i might start writing how to edit kits and other map stuff if people are interested

i have time to kill

EDIT: also dudbomb, around the code parts you can put

[ code][/code ] (minus the spaces in the thingy)

so it lookes like this

Code:
                    code goes here!

And why the hell would i want to do that? its a waste of time and looks stupid, and why do you want to hi-jack my thread? and the last dudes problem was he cant open the file, why?, because he hasnt set it to open with notepad so extracting it wont change a thing....

Kit editing is easy, but you can mess up if you get carried away, like giving C4, HK21 and Medpacks to everyone, because of there inventory code, every solder has a 10 space inventory and some weapons take up certain slots.... slot 1(knife), slot 2(secondary weapon), slot 3(primary weapon), slot 5(Explosive weapon, C4/Claymore/Grenade) and slot 6(spare object, Grappleing hook/zipline/shock paddles), putting two of the same object code into a kit will cause CTD, you can just copy the guns folder and edit the code so you can assign a specific kit to only have that weapon, instead of it being distributed...i wrote this so people will know how to start as i didnt see a guide here to do anything basic, modding is modding, not how to change the colour of wood which is for photoshopping, you dont mod things in photoshop lmao

Comment

And why the hell would i want to do that?
                      so it stands out more

and why do you want to hi-jack my thread?
                      i dont, i'm on my extra long summer holidays and i'm bored. After reading your guide above i thought i could do something similiar, as i have time to kill, plus its somewhat constructive use of my time rather then wasting it on useless MSN convos.

Kit editing is easy, but you can mess up if you get carried away, like giving C4, HK21 and Medpacks to everyone, because of there inventory code, every solder has a 10 space inventory and some weapons take up certain slots.... slot 1(knife), slot 2(secondary weapon), slot 3(primary weapon), slot 5(Explosive weapon, C4/Claymore/Grenade) and slot 6(spare object, Grappleing hook/zipline/shock paddles), putting two of the same object code into a kit will cause CTD, you can just copy the guns folder and edit the code so you can assign a specific kit to only have that weapon, instead of it being distributed
                      and being a no0b how would you know that? hmmm

and you can do more then that with kits / soldiers.

and the last dudes problem was he cant open the file, why?, because he hasnt set it to open with notepad so extracting it wont change a thing....
                      and i only suggested that beacuase when its uncompressed you can right click and have a 'open with' option which can be easier if someone isn't 100% familiar with a program, now i'm not saying that he isn't but he didn't say so how did we know?

Comment

Originally posted by St._Sasquatch View Post
                        awsome guide! after reading it all i really wanted to do this! BUT, i cant seem to open the usrif_m24.tweak file in notepad.

Find a .con file anywhere, right click open with and set it to notepad and tick always open with this program.

Comment

Working...
                        X