Decisions...Decisions...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Decisions...Decisions...

Hey guys, atm with my POS PC i can hardly play BF2 at all, i'm on the lowest settings playing 8 bots a side and i still get lag, even playing a Mod especially PR, i get Lag spikes that get me killed, so im wondering if anyone can tell me if i can save money by upgrading my current rig instead of buying a new one.

Current PC -
    Amd Athlon XP 2400@1.2GHZ
    Nvidia GeForce FX 5700LE Graphics Card@256MB
    Klingston DDR RAM 1GB(2x512mb)
    SATA 250GB HDD
    Some crappy case

this puppy cost £250 two and a half years ago, now with all this new high tech crap i feel i need to upgrade, so this X-mas i'll "decided" weather or not to buy this Rig.

X-mas PC -
    Amd Athlon Dual Core 6000@3.0GHZ
    Nvidia Geforce 7600 GT - SLI READY(2x258mb)
    Klingston DDR2 RAM 4GB(4x1028mb)
    SATA 320GB HDD
    Atrix Gaming Case

this baby cost £520 with P&P, but i was wondering if i could upgrade my current one to be a bit better with about £150, as if i buy this New pc ill have £400 left, and im going to be buying a Nvidia Geforce 8800GTX (BF 2142 Edition) for £350

i want to know what you lot think, i would really like to get the most for my money, and the most i can spend on 1 PC is £600 really, and "extra's" like the GTX would come after Xmas as ill be back at college.

Re: Decisions...Decisions...

Shouldn't your 2400+ run faster than that?

My old computer has a 1800+ that runs at 1.53 Ghz.

Comment

its either a 2400 or a 2200 but it runs at 1.2Ghz and its lame, five years ago i use to have a tin can that was the perfect Room heater, it was only 800MHz but it did the job fine for diablo 2.

ive tried overclocking it but the best i can get it to is to 1.4 but it doesnt do much of a difference, and higher then 1410 and as soon as i "set" it to that my system hangs, im useing CPUCooL as my overclocker..

EDIT: i retryed overclocking my CPU but my system hung again, does anyone have a Safe and Good overclocking program? as ive tried a few now and they just make my system hang, my PLL is a VIA 950910 af
      on CPUCooL i found it and it listed it as a 950910 and it worked, but now it doesnt work...

Comment

wouldnt matter, you wont see a big increase with that rig :/ but your new one looks good as long as you get the 8800 but I would get a 7900 GS to hold you while you wait for the GTX...

Comment

what games are u playing atm? if u still play mainly bf2, i think that an 8800 would be overkill/unecessary.

mean while, this can help a tiny bit for ur 5700LE

Comment

see here for ~five hundred pound behemoth. others will improve, but this is a good starting point, imho.

Comment

i play alot of games, cs;s, bf2, dod;s, mainly fps's but i have a capture card and fancy recording some of my xbox 360 pwnage, yet my gfx card doesnt support it so thats why i want a much better rig

Comment

Originally posted by dudbomb View Post
                Hey guys, atm with my POS PC i can hardly play BF2 at all, i'm on the lowest settings playing 8 bots a side and i still get lag, even playing a Mod especially PR, i get Lag spikes that get me killed, so im wondering if anyone can tell me if i can save money by upgrading my current rig instead of buying a new one.

Current PC -
                Amd Athlon XP 2400@1.2GHZ
                Nvidia GeForce FX 5700LE Graphics Card@256MB
                Klingston DDR RAM 1GB(2x512mb)
                SATA 250GB HDD
                Some crappy case

this puppy cost £250 two and a half years ago, now with all this new high tech crap i feel i need to upgrade, so this X-mas i'll "decided" weather or not to buy this Rig.

X-mas PC -
                Amd Athlon Dual Core 6000@3.0GHZ
                Nvidia Geforce 7600 GT - SLI READY(2x258mb)
                Klingston DDR2 RAM 4GB(4x1028mb)
                SATA 320GB HDD
                Atrix Gaming Case

this baby cost £520 with P&P, but i was wondering if i could upgrade my current one to be a bit better with about £150, as if i buy this New pc ill have £400 left, and im going to be buying a Nvidia Geforce 8800GTX (BF 2142 Edition) for £350

i want to know what you lot think, i would really like to get the most for my money, and the most i can spend on 1 PC is £600 really, and "extra's" like the GTX would come after Xmas as ill be back at college.
                Ok first off, DONT DO SLI!!!!!!! I dont know how much a 7600GT costs where you are, but you will NOT get double the performance, in fact running at a res of less than 1600x1400 you will not get more than 30% increase. Not worth the $$$ you have to spend. So instead, get one good card, like an 8800 GTS 640MB or GTX. Another thing, is your current GPU AGP or Pci-e, makes a bigg diff in what cards you can and cant get.

Originally posted by dudbomb View Post
                i play alot of games, cs;s, bf2, dod;s, mainly fps's but i have a capture card and fancy recording some of my xbox 360 pwnage, yet my gfx card doesnt support it so thats why i want a much better rig
                These cards will run fine on anything like a 7600GT or better, if you want to future proof though, make sure you get a DX10 card.

Comment

all you need really is a new cpu and motherboard

Comment

Originally posted by phusebox View Post
                    all you need really is a new cpu and motherboard
                    and memory and graphics...So that'll be a new computer then...

Comment

Thanks for the advice, i think im going to try to find a seller who can sell me a rig with.

AMD Athlon Dual Core @ 3.0Ghz
                      4GB DDR2 Ram
                      Nvidia Geforce 8800 GTS

then after i get that ill be upgrading the GTS to a GTX because i cant wait for Crysis to come out it looks so SWEET!

ps:thanks for the info on the SLI cards, the thing with sli is one card is for GFX and the other is just more RAM that goes to were any is needed, and they cost the same as a GTX anyway

Comment

Working...
                      X