Odd Freezing Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Odd Freezing Problem

This isn't just occuring during Battlefield 2 gameplay it seems to happen with every game I play. The game could be loading up or playing fine when an odd click sound comes from my computer and it freezes. I then have to restart the computer.

I originally thought it was my video card not properly updated. However I cancelled that out after downloading the latest version of Catalyst (ATI) and it still froze. Even with weak games that have far smaller recommendations for effective gameplay. The funny thing in all of this is my old video card ,which was a mere Radeon 9250 128 MB, played BF2 on low without ever freezing. Yet my current video card, Radeon X700 AGP 256MB, can not hold the same record. I've had the card since November and its been like Russian Roulette. Battlefield 2 could be fine for months then it decides to quit on me.

I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions as to what the problem is. My specs are pathetic: 512MB RD RimRam, Processar P4 2.7 Ghz, Harddrive 18.9 GB.

Re: Odd Freezing Problem

Originally posted by Nefarious
    This isn't just occuring during Battlefield 2 gameplay it seems to happen with every game I play. The game could be loading up or playing fine when an odd click sound comes from my computer and it freezes. I then have to restart the computer.

I originally thought it was my video card not properly updated. However I cancelled that out after downloading the latest version of Catalyst (ATI) and it still froze. Even with weak games that have far smaller recommendations for effective gameplay. The funny thing in all of this is my old video card ,which was a mere Radeon 9250 128 MB, played BF2 on low without ever freezing. Yet my current video card, Radeon X700 AGP 256MB, can not hold the same record. I've had the card since November and its been like Russian Roulette. Battlefield 2 could be fine for months then it decides to quit on me.

I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions as to what the problem is. My specs are pathetic: 512MB RD RimRam, Processar P4 2.7 Ghz, Harddrive 18.9 GB.
    sounds like hardware problem of some kind, i'd update my Ram no matter what, i'd get a 1GB stick to add to your 512, i think that help alot. but your new card could have a problem i'd put old one back in to see if it works, if it works fine i'd get my new one exchanged.

freeze's can or are usually driver problems, something ususing up your memory & cpu usage, or maybe heat, have u checked that? check your GPU heat & also your processor heat, make sure your fans are blowing good, blow out the dust outta your heatsinks & off MB.

& what might help more than anything if you havent allready is clean the sucker up with CC cleaner, & scan registry for any issues, gotta be someting like that dude.

besta luck

I forgot this go here http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/referrer/srtest just hit the dropdown box & hit bf2, then click the "can i run it " link, ya never know it might tell ya whats wrong.

Comment

Your right on with the ram, the website recommends I get more to properly run the game.

Thanks for the info, I'm going to try and clean out the fans.

Comment

Originally posted by Nefarious
        Your right on with the ram, the website recommends I get more to properly run the game.

Thanks for the info, I'm going to try and clean out the fans.
        do what u can afford but i'd go atleast another GB, if not 2 if ya can afford it, remember keep same size in slots.

allways good to do good cleaning physically on the dust & internally on the spyware, malware , all that junk, if ur running norton or macafee throw that krap out & get some good anti-virius/spyware/malware programs, *more than one, like i run my main one, plus spybot , hijack this, etc.

besta luck man

Comment

I think you need to do GFX again

but seriously, when you DL the latest drivers, did you run driver cleaner? if not, that would make it worse. The freezing IMO is a GFX problem, A faulty V-card will do that, same thing happened to me with my old X850.

Comment

I didn't know that people still used RDRAM anymore. Thats gonna be pricey. $$$$$

Comment

Working...
            X