Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• freezing on startup...

Hello, well this isnt a major problem but it does annoy me quite a bit

A few weeks ago, i was able to play BF2 fine...i would double click the icon on desktop, the 'Battlefield 2' thing pops up, the screen then goes black for a second and the EA games comes up etc and it loads...

I recently formatted my computer (about a week ago) and since then, when i open Battlefield 2 the 'Battlefield 2' thing pops up, then the screen goes black and stays black for about 20-30 seconds (maybe longer) and then the EA sports thing comes up, as i said this isnt a major problem as im able to play the game but its just annoying when i have to wait that long knowing that i never had to a few weeks ago.

I have the 1.41 patch installed and my graphics card drivers etc are all up to date, so im not sure whats going on

Any help would be appreciated

Re: freezing on startup...

Originally posted by Keithuk View Post
    Hello, well this isnt a major problem but it does annoy me quite a bit

A few weeks ago, i was able to play BF2 fine...i would double click the icon on desktop, the 'Battlefield 2' thing pops up, the screen then goes black for a second and the EA games comes up etc and it loads...

I recently formatted my computer (about a week ago) and since then, when i open Battlefield 2 the 'Battlefield 2' thing pops up, then the screen goes black and stays black for about 20-30 seconds (maybe longer) and then the EA sports thing comes up, as i said this isnt a major problem as im able to play the game but its just annoying when i have to wait that long knowing that i never had to a few weeks ago.

I have the 1.41 patch installed and my graphics card drivers etc are all up to date, so im not sure whats going on

Any help would be appreciated
    you reformatted your drive it puts all your settings back to default, loads all that krap that u dont need & runs some of it. I'd check my startup items, my process thats running in the background, and i 'dd crank up my bf2 make it high priority in the process's & i'd ditch the dice logs & movies, that unless ya llike waiting on those, if ur not sure how to do it, go to ur EA folder & get in bf2/mods then look for movies folder & delte everthing in there & ya dont gotta wait on those logo's to load.

how much ram & whats ur spec's?

Comment

Originally posted by opc_tim
      you reformatted your drive it puts all your settings back to default, loads all that krap that u dont need & runs some of it. I'd check my startup items, my process thats running in the background, and i 'dd crank up my bf2 make it high priority in the process's & i'd ditch the dice logs & movies, that unless ya llike waiting on those, if ur not sure how to do it, go to ur EA folder & get in bf2/mods then look for movies folder & delte everthing in there & ya dont gotta wait on those logo's to load.

how much ram & whats ur spec's?
      Thanks for your help, i made sure that nothing was running and the only things on startup that i need are essential (e.g/ norton) and then i tried again and still the loading persisted, i havent yet deleted the movies etc from the BF2 folder - thats my next step

My specs are:

Windows XP Home
      AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3800+
      2gb Ram
      Nvidia Geforce 7300 GS 512mb
      160gb Hard Drive

I know the graphics card isnt the best (and will hopefully be updated during the summer) but as i didnt have the problem a few weeks back, i cant really put it down to my hardware.

Comment

Thanks for your help, i made sure that nothing was running and the only things on startup that i need are essential (e.g/ norton) and then i tried again and still the loading persisted, i havent yet deleted the movies etc from the BF2 folder - thats my next step

My specs are:

Windows XP Home
        AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3800+
        2gb Ram
        Nvidia Geforce 7300 GS 512mb
        160gb Hard Drive

I know the graphics card is the best (and will hopefully be updated during the summer) but as i didnt have the problem a few weeks back, i cant really put it down to my hardware.
        yeah if it didnt do it before then has to be software setting, or something, check ur direct x make sure its up2date, there's a ton of tweaks for bf2 http://bf2lag.com/top5tips.html dont mess with the page filing one, i dont know why they put that there, it makes computer run like krap, something that is good to do i think is to set your computer system to choose amount of page filing, that might help some.

besta luck

Comment

Originally posted by opc_tim View Post
          yeah if it didnt do it before then has to be software setting, or something, check ur direct x make sure its up2date, there's a ton of tweaks for bf2 http://bf2lag.com/top5tips.html dont mess with the page filing one, i dont know why they put that there, it makes computer run like krap, something that is good to do i think is to set your computer system to choose amount of page filing, that might help some.

besta luck
          Thanks for your help mate, i have updated Direct X and still it stays black

I done what you said with the videos though and none of them intro vids etc start loading now so that makes it a bit faster even with the black screen.

Comment

Originally posted by Keithuk
            Thanks for your help mate, i have updated Direct X and still it stays black

I done what you said with the videos though and none of them intro vids etc start loading now so that makes it a bit faster even with the black screen.
            no problem, glad the deleteing video's helped, I tell ya what its weird since it didnt do it before, are you sure you dont have any hardware problems like ram? or PSU maybe? I been there on the black screens, disappearing taskbar, Icons become huge, take forever for the game to turn off doing the same krap, but where it didnt do it before is puzzling, anyway for mine at that time i got more ram and i got a bigger PSU and no problems loading or unloading, allmost instant unless sometings dowloading of course.

maybe someone else might know whats goin on .

besta luck, keep us posted.

Comment

no problem, glad the deleteing video's helped, I tell ya what its weird since it didnt do it before, are you sure you dont have any hardware problems like ram? or PSU maybe? I been there on the black screens, disappearing taskbar, Icons become huge, take forever for the game to turn off doing the same krap, but where it didnt do it before is puzzling, anyway for mine at that time i got more ram and i got a bigger PSU and no problems loading or unloading, allmost instant unless sometings dowloading of course.

maybe someone else might know whats goin on .

besta luck, keep us posted.
              well that was my initial thought, but i suppose im just in hope that its not

I have another problem with a black screen that i never used to have when i bootup my computer, the first screen flashes and then it goes black...at this point before i formatted the windows XP home would load, but instead it stays black for about 20 seconds and then the XP loads :|:
              Ive no idea what that could be, everything is up to date and the same as before so i can on presume its something hardware related :/

Comment

well that was my initial thought, but i suppose im just in hope that its not

I have another problem with a black screen that i never used to have when i bootup my computer, the first screen flashes and then it goes black...at this point before i formatted the windows XP home would load, but instead it stays black for about 20 seconds and then the XP loads :|:
                Ive no idea what that could be, everything is up to date and the same as before so i can on presume its something hardware related :/
                sure sounds that way, you might want to try this sight to do a scan , its free, & i think its pretty good one, just hit "full tests" on the left, it checks out your pewter givesyou a report, hope it helps
                PC Matic is an American-Made Antivirus that provides the best computer security protection using superior allowlisting technology to help prevent ransomware and malware. PC Matic Pro’s commitment to the security and privacy of your data is of vital importance, and we are committed to protecting you and your business with advanced cybersecurity.

Comment

sure sounds that way, you might want to try this sight to do a scan , its free, & i think its pretty good one, just hit "full tests" on the left, it checks out your pewter givesyou a report, hope it helps
                  http://pcpitstop.com/
                  Thanks for all your help mate, i ran that tool and it found nothing wrong...

But i have now fixed the problem It was some problem with the registry i think because i ran some windows registry fix thing that repaired the files that may of been damaged and it sorted the freezing black screen problem, and also sorted out the 'error connecting to a socket' problem
                  Im now able to play :salute:

Comment

Thanks for all your help mate, i ran that tool and it found nothing wrong...

But i have now fixed the problem It was some problem with the registry i think because i ran some windows registry fix thing that repaired the files that may of been damaged and it sorted the freezing black screen problem, and also sorted out the 'error connecting to a socket' problem
                    Im now able to play :salute:
                    great, glad you got 'er fixed, allways good to know what was wrong, cause ya never know when we might have same problem

:salute:

Comment

ye, at least we know that there is a fix for these problems

The only other problem, i forgot my password - tried to recover it and that didnt work so ive ended up creating a new account and starting a fresh. Im not too bothered as i only had 800 points on the other one anyways

Comment

ye, at least we know that there is a fix for these problems

The only other problem, i forgot my password - tried to recover it and that didnt work so ive ended up creating a new account and starting a fresh. Im not too bothered as i only had 800 points on the other one anyways
                        I think EA has some way u can retieve it thru your EA account, if you remember that one anyway i think u can go to EA support & get it for you name.
                        dont forget if u have the expansion packs if you play a few rounds on your special forces, when u make rank u will have 2 unlocks avaliable instead of one. i dont know why its that way but i reckon it is.
                        cya:salute:

Comment

I think EA has some way u can retieve it thru your EA account, if you remember that one anyway i think u can go to EA support & get it for you name.
                          dont forget if u have the expansion packs if you play a few rounds on your special forces, when u make rank u will have 2 unlocks avaliable instead of one. i dont know why its that way but i reckon it is.
                          cya:salute:
                          :O I never new about that ranking thing.

I am on 147 (need 150 to move up a rank) so its lucky you said

I think ill go and have a game of special forces now

Comment

Working...
                          X