Random crashes in-game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Random crashes in-game

I searched and found a thread in which someone had a similar problem, but noone gave the OP a response that would help me:

Basically BF2 crashes randomly - no error msg, nothing - just randomly shuts down.

The difference is that my rig is only a few months old, and I don't suspect my specs are having a hard time dealing with BF2. I'm running all the settings on high, and my cpu is only at 53C.

asus p5b mobo
    e6600 cpu
    8800gts 320 mb evga card
    2x1G corsair ddr2 ram

not sure what else you guys need to know...I'm not much of a techie, so I don't know exactly where this problem lies. Maybe with my rig (though I doubt it), maybe with BF2, who knows.

TIA!

Re: Random crashes in-game

try running memtest on the ram, usually shut downs come from faulty memory, also it could be a wacky driver problem since the new DX10 drivers are still in the fritz...

Comment

drivers drivers drivers

my crashes were caused by the nv4disp.dll driver
      it is an unsigned driver not supported by win xp but comes with the nvidia card

does ur rig have an nvidia card....you might want to try older driver sets...i had terrible crashes with the next to last driver....so i updated to the newest, and it was even worse....so i rolled back to 91.24 works okay now.

also sound drivers can cause bf2 to crash....so if you have a creative sound card in ur machine, you will want to adjust drivers and settings for that too.

ram can cause crashes but you normally get a bsod with those. to rule this out run memtest 86.

good luck

Comment

Well I don't think it's a sound driver - I don't have a sound card. I'll take a look and test out some older drivers for my video card, though. I'm also gonna run memtest and let you guys know what happens.

Thanks for the help!

Comment

Oh, and another thing is that I occasionally get this (don't really know how to explain it without a pic, below). I'm assuming it's probably something with my drivers or maybe something with the client?

(weird colour distortion, little icons missing...this all happens randomly)

Comment

Originally posted by ChuckTs View Post
            Well I don't think it's a sound driver - I don't have a sound card.
            Oh yes you do. The onboard sound needs a driver too. Even Realtek AC'97 audio can cause FPS issues and/or instability. Trust me - my old machine did it. If that is not the issue, then you have eliminated one possibility. Oh yeah, run memtest also, RAM is picky. Bad RAM (because a cheap PSU cooked it, I assume) caused the weird colors for me a long time ago.

Comment

Yeah....realtek 97 does have issues with BF2!! The article I just read said not to use the "Hardware" setting in the BF2 audio setup, but to stick with the Software setting only. I keep my audio set at medium, because setting it to high does decrease your fps.

Just something else to keep in mind!

Comment

Originally posted by BPCrusher01 View Post
                Oh yes you do. The onboard sound needs a driver too. Even Realtek AC'97 audio can cause FPS issues and/or instability. Trust me - my old machine did it. If that is not the issue, then you have eliminated one possibility. Oh yeah, run memtest also, RAM is picky. Bad RAM (because a cheap PSU cooked it, I assume) caused the weird colors for me a long time ago.

new here guys just so i can say i am having the same problom my game crashes after about 2-10 min of playing

i have gone from ati sapphire 1600 pro 512 to evga 7600 gs witch worked fine with the universal driver and now i am running the 7800 gs oc 256 apg card, its not my memory

any ideas ??

get the black screen monitor loses reception and then i have to manually resstart sometimes ctrl+alt+del works to get me back to the desk top

Comment

Universal driver? What's that, the integrated driver built into the OS? Get the appropriate one here.

Comment

Originally posted by BPCrusher01 View Post
                    Universal driver? What's that, the integrated driver built into the OS? Get the appropriate one here.
                    http://www.nvidia.com/content/drivers/drivers.asp

that is the driver it wont give me an option for my specific driver that is the same driver it gives you for all 7 series cards

Comment

Driver Problem

Comment

Working...
                      X