Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BF2 Dumping 2gb to page file after a period of play, leaving 315 meg in the RAM ?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BF2 Dumping 2gb to page file after a period of play, leaving 315 meg in the RAM ?!

This problem is the most bizarre thing I've come across.

After an extended period of gameplay the game seems to remove most of the content from the RAM and dumps it all into the page file, causing horrific stuttering and the inevitable crash into a building of whatever vehicle im driving.

When I first added 2gb ram to my system, I noticed bf2 using up 1.3 gig of my ram to run, whereas previously, with 1gb system ram it would take up around 700mb.

Now however, after the install of a new diamondmax 160gb SATA drive (I was previously on PATA), this strange page file dump occurs, in what is seemingly an unprovoked situation everytime.
    Perhaps significantly, during normal stutter-free gameplay, I noticed that BF2.exe isn't taking up 1.3gb in my ram as before, but around 700meg, but now with around 1Gb in the page file.
    Windows recognises both my sticks of ram though, so the system apparently sees 2Gb.

Has anyone had any experience with this sort of problem before, I can't find a single similar issue posted on any forums...?

Any help would be appreciated,
    cheers guys.

Re: BF2 Dumping 2gb to page file after a period of play, leaving 315 meg in the RAM ?

Cant say ive run across that issue . But what you could do is go into start then right click my computer and hit properties . Now click advanced tab, then performance settings button, advanced tab, then click change under Virtual memory . Now click what ever HD your page file is on and click custom set , now set both to the min amount of page file , so set both to 2 and hit set then ok and reboot .

Now see how your game is running . If its still the same you can try setting it to 0 hit set and reboot and you will have no page file . Defrag your comp a few times then go back and set you page file to recomended on both and hit set . Now reboot and your page file wont move and should be nicely together. Allso if you have your HD partioned put games and page file on an empty partion, it will never get fragmented . Anyways as i said first thing id do is set it to Min page file then try it out if that dont work try the secound option . Ive allways noticed if my page files a mess on the HD my game runs like crap .

Ps: for those of you who want to know if your page file is together just use windows defrag and your page file will show up green durring a scan .

Comment

Re: BF2 Dumping 2gb to page file after a period of play, leaving 315 meg in the RAM ?

Sorry, totally forgot to mention that I'd tried fixing the page file to a constant value, and setting it to 0. I've now currently got it on a different drive to that of the battlefield installation. Still doesn't make a difference :*(

Comment

Can you tell us some of your riggs spec ect ? Are you running XP or Vista ?

Comment

Oh yeah soz.

Tis win xp sp2,

Athlon 64 3500,
          2gb (crucial or some ****) ram.
          160gb maxtor diamondmax SATA I drive,
          160gb Seagate IDE drive
          some other 80gig drive.
          Asus A8n-e mobo
          Tagan 480W psu
          XFX 6800GT PCI-E

Comment

This is still an issue, and it's totally bizarre. Just happened to me again after around 2 hours of play, totally randomly. I can't believe no else is experiencing this.

Comment

Still happening =/

Comment

im not sure if i fully understand what's going on , but u want more stuff in ur ram and not in ur pagefile?

wat u can try is to Disable Paging Executive.
                Download htis program here http://www.download.com/TuneXP/3000-...-10290928.html and i think its a pretty useful tool.

when u install and get everythin set up, under Memory and file system, just enable "Disable Paging Executive". this tweak basically keeps more stuff in ur ram more than in ur pagefile.

if u want more info about TuneXP i recommend also, this site:
                http://gear.ign.com/articles/626/626714p5.html (its a bf2 optimization guide and it baically gives u wat settings u should set on/off in TuneXP)

Comment

I'm getting something similar.

Brief specs:

Asus A8N-SLi Premium
                  AMD X2 4200
                  2Gb Corsair XMS mem
                  2 x Raptor 36Gb (RAID)
                  2 x 6800 Ultras

I'm using Allied Intent Extended mod (v1.0) and the problem seems to exist on certain maps, specifically refinery.

Starts out smooth as anything, then the game starts to stutter. Disk activity is constant. The whole machine becomes sluggish. Quitting BF2, I notice that the pagefile had gone up to nearly 4Gb. After BF2 has quit, nearly all my memory has been eaten up by a task which doesn't show up in task manager. It doesn't come back unless you reboot.

This is on a clean Windows XP install, with all critical updates and patches applied.

Things I've tried already:

Checked drivers are latest versions (SATA etc etc)
                  Tried setting processor affinity to 1 core (using prioaff.exe)
                  Deleting cache

I could mess with my pagefile to see if that helps, but that sort of feels like a fudge and not a fix.

I find it hard to believe that it's the mod or the map - I run it on an AMD 64 3500 single with a single 7600GT and it's fine. I'm pretty sure it's got something to do with my hardware setup.

Any ideas?

Comment

Try defragging your HDD, tho i have never heard of this bug, try contact DICE they maybe able to lend a hand, or not :P

Comment

Working...
                    X