Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Battlefield 2's way of conserving resources or a problem?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battlefield 2's way of conserving resources or a problem?

I don't know how long this behavior's been happening, maybe since I first played the demo or just recently. I'll get to the point.

On some occasions and on some maps, whenever I drive or walk/run a long distance, sometimes I can see terrain textures "morphing" as if they are being compressed and the terrain itself convexing to its actual form. Probably the most extreme example is on the east alley of Hotel in Karkand: If I move away from the wall that separates the river and the alley, the ground concaves which leaves a cavity between the wall and itself allowing you to see the river. It closes or convexes up to normal as you near that point.

Then there are objects that "updates" itself with better geometry instantaneously at relatively ridiculous close view distance. For example, I have a F-35 in my view at 50 meters. When I close in 40 meters, I can see the F-35 changing with more details. Close in more and more and details "pop up" and I start to notice its fuselage also morphing from a peanut (highly exaggerated description) to a cylinder. Between 20 and 30 meters, the F-35 begins to show off all its details and shadows are added in an instant.

I realize most games do this where objects faraway will have less geometry/quality, but Battlefield 2 is probably the only game that I know in which the object's details and shadows "pop up" and "morph" noticeably.

Does anyone get this too?

Re: Battlefield 2's way of conserving resources or a problem?

Yeah me too, it's conserving resources and its a problem.

Comment

Here's an example:

From a distance, the road blocks look like this:

However, as I close in, the two farther blocks change instantly to a better quality:

I knew the games do this to save performance for a long time, but I don't recall the change being instantaneous, instead with transition and flow.

Comment

ive been getting tht wit my 6200... but i just bought the 7600gs yesterday and i have yet to find out if tht is the same case for me.... it happened before like i said... but i dunno... ill let u noe... but i was playing for like a min yesterday nite on the same video settings and for some reason its alot better... and yes... i did NOT change the video setting...

Comment

Working...
        X