X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crash - I have tried EVERYTHING!

I have the a system very similar to this one:

with this graphics card:

BF2 keeps crashing. After a period of time screen freezes with sound stuttering
    and I have to restart.

First I did everything I could find, updated drivers, reduced sound acceleration, defragged, reinstalled with patch 1.41, ended all unessential processes and every other piece of advice given.

First game singleplayer played through fine no problems. Every other game crashed after that.

Since then I took things a step further. I've set up a XP dual boot, one for normal use, one for gaming. This is a stripped down version with everything set for gaming, no other programs, I install BF2 and patch

First game singleplayer played through fine no problems. Every other game crashed after that.

Interesting how again I was able to get through one game after installing!!!!!!!

I also tried running from an image of the DVD with DEAMON TOOLS but no it still crashes.

Please please please help!

Many thanks in advance

Okay I read about this after I posted...

System specs:
    CPU - AMD AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3800+ 2410.8
    MOBO - nForce 430
    GRAPHICS CARD - NVIDIA 7600GT
    RAM - 1024
    HD - 250GB SATA II
    Latest Drivers installed - nvidia 6.14.10.9424
    OS - XP SP2
    Anti-Virus/firewall - TURNED OFF
    Internet connection - ethernet DSL

Re: Crash - I have tried EVERYTHING!

http://support.electronicarts.co.uk/...topview=1&skin=

Try there m8, soundslike a driver issue to me.

Comment

Thanks for your reply but I'm not immediately sure what to try. I have seen all the EA advice for BF2. My game crashed with the drivers that came with the graphics and MOBO and installing the latest drivers has made no difference.

Do you suggest installing an older driver somehow?

Also on the link you gave me there is a related link to my problem but in C&C Generals. It says to reduce the video acceleration. I haven't seen that suggested on any BF2 pages but I might give that a go.
      Okay, I am fairly certain it was overheating.

While I was fiddling I clocked the graphics card fan up (not in an attempt to fix it but because there was nothing else to fiddle with). Anyway it crashed but much quicker. So I took the side of my box off and I have just got through a whole game with no crashing.

I had already set the graphics card fan to operate at 100% constantly on my gaming boot of XP but is there a way to do this with the CPU fan?

I haven't overclocked or anything so I'm fairly pissed off that it is overheating as I don't want to buy any more stuff.

Incidentally the C&C Generals tip about reducing the graphics acceleration made the menus not dispaly properly...

Glad to have found the problem but annoyed I have to think of a solution or leave my box open!

Comment

No way you could fit a few more fans within your case? Either that and/or a more powerful vga cooler like an Accellero x2 or a Zalman could help a lot.

Comment

I don't really know where to start looking for this kind of thing.

I don't want to spend a lot and I want to get it right first time.

Is there a way to tell whether the graphics card or CPU is overheating?
          I could buy a new fan for the CPU maybe but if that doesn't work then I would be annoyed. Surely the graphics card comes with an adequete fan attached???

Comment

Your gfx card temp can be monitored by installing ntune from www.nvidia.com and i am not sure about your cpu, sorry. Most gfx cards do have a decent fan but if the airflow through your case isnt that good its very cheap and easy to put right. A few 80 or 120mm fans on the front and rear of your case can easily rectify the problem for the price of a few pints of ale.

Comment

well i've gone and spent a whole evening's worth of pints (with chips and taxi)!
              These badboys arrive tomorrow:

I think the Zalman will only just fit inside my case!

Will let you know how it goes...

might have to get my hands dirty with some overclocking now

Comment

You do know that Zalman cooler is for your CPU and not graphics card?

Comment

The fan i ordered is about twice the size of the graphics card!!

Yeah i figured it was probably the CPU overheating anyway. It's had trouble before.

I guess the fan that came with the card should be okay plus there was no circulation in the case. I want a quieter fan than the stock one on 100% plus as I said I can have a go at overclocking too!

Comment

How do you know its not the graphics card overheating though?

Comment

yeah i didn't know for certain and to be honest i didn't properly investigate. I just went with that assumpiton though.

I was right however:

Before with case open:
                      CPU 20C rising to 60C

After with case closed:
                      CPU 16C rising to 20C

Comment

Working...
                      X