Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When will the time come for something completely different?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When will the time come for something completely different?

Im eagerly awaiting for some mod teams to really work their imagination and create something totally different than what blatantly put is glorified BF2´s. The effort and work put into modding is legendary. However the concept is not.

The few bold mods arent really trying to be mainstream either and are aimed at a too small niche group.

I mean, theres potential to make mods that just take the engine as a base and create something that doesnt even look/play like BF2 does. For example theres "Alien Swarm" for UT2004 that does this.

Any teams out there with rather radical ideas?

Re: When will the time come for something completely different?

unreal engine is alot better, easier to mod with then bf2. bf2 engine is more of a specific engine for one game(like halo) as ut uses the unreal engine which also like half life is designed for a wide range of modding uses.

Comment

Yeah, but Im not talking about a radical game genre change (ie. from FPS to RTS). Im talking about completely refurbished concepts. Right now were having a launch after launch of the same vehicle based FPS, which can bluntly be described as reskinned BF2 vanilla games. No offense to the mod teams, Im just overdramatizing the situation.

Comment

Problem is, so much stuff is hardcoded and unmoddable that it's hard to completely change the dynamics of the game.

Comment

Originally posted by Sir. Elxx View Post
          Problem is, so much stuff is hardcoded and unmoddable that it's hard to completely change the dynamics of the game.
          How about a different age, time. Different approach to the teamwork concept? Time to quit with the history as we know it and go with the history we dont know about.

Comment

like a mod focused on Battleships in a fictional WW1-esque environment?

Comment

We've had Care Bears vs Tellytubbies firing paintball guns. That is "out there" although small and niche.

We have 2x Stargate mods in the process, a BSG mod, the Maurader mod, a few other apocalypse type mods.

What do you think is going to be out there and large enough? The main problem is grabbing the vanilla players attention and getting them to download the mod concerned.

Comment

Originally posted by [R-PUB]MrD View Post
                We've had Care Bears vs Tellytubbies firing paintball guns. That is "out there" although small and niche.

We have 2x Stargate mods in the process, a BSG mod, the Maurader mod, a few other apocalypse type mods.

What do you think is going to be out there and large enough? The main problem is grabbing the vanilla players attention and getting them to download the mod concerned.
                Bingo. Thats what Im talking about. Different concept.

What I personally would like, would be some wild vehicular concepts. If you look at the mods, every gunship out there has 2 pilots, copilot always uses the cannon and the TV screen (you get the point), et cetera.

For example, nobody is trying to make the REAL BF2142. With BF2 engine, I have no doubt that walkers aside, you could make something beautiful and great, and directly compete with BF2142 because the game is poor.

For example, nobody has been trying to use the amazing F35B concept to create a true hoverjet that can hover like a chopper and fly like a jet.

Tanks a´la StarCraft? Plant them somewhere for 10X increased damage and whatnot.

Im talking about a completely fresh new concept, be it futuristic war on earth, or even futuristic aliens vs humans thing, which by itsself would be a wonderful COOP game.

So far, the releases until now have always featured games that dont take that engine to something else. And those bold, skilled guys who do go out there and do something marvellous, have made projects for the niche.

Originally posted by zuiquan1 View Post
                like a mod focused on Battleships in a fictional WW1-esque environment?
                Hell yes, why not?

I remember we had discussion in the past about an Ace Combat mod, which on its own would be such an awesome COOP ground.
                WHen I first posted this topic I was actually thinking about a Twisted Metal mod... oh em gee fun!

Comment

Originally posted by Chris_Redfield View Post
                  Bingo. Thats what Im talking about. Different concept.

What I personally would like, would be some wild vehicular concepts. If you look at the mods, every gunship out there has 2 pilots, copilot always uses the cannon and the TV screen (you get the point), et cetera.

For example, nobody is trying to make the REAL BF2142. With BF2 engine, I have no doubt that walkers aside, you could make something beautiful and great, and directly compete with BF2142 because the game is poor.

For example, nobody has been trying to use the amazing F35B concept to create a true hoverjet that can hover like a chopper and fly like a jet.

Tanks a´la StarCraft? Plant them somewhere for 10X increased damage and whatnot.

Im talking about a completely fresh new concept, be it futuristic war on earth, or even futuristic aliens vs humans thing, which by itsself would be a wonderful COOP game.

So far, the releases until now have always featured games that dont take that engine to something else. And those bold, skilled guys who do go out there and do something marvellous, have made projects for the niche.

Hell yes, why not?

I remember we had discussion in the past about an Ace Combat mod, which on its own would be such an awesome COOP ground.
                  WHen I first posted this topic I was actually thinking about a Twisted Metal mod... oh em gee fun!

two words

quake wars

hehe, soon enough. i think its the fresh new game allot of us so desperately need. ive kinda given up on the hopes of a real player base for mods in bf2, ive been holding on to this pipe dream that some day there will be lots of mod player but i think i need to let it go. ill always be a mod player but bf2 players dont want mods, they would rather have more points and more rank, they dont care about new exciting content.

moding bf2 is a lost cause, look at poe2, its an absolute masterpiece, the best battlefield game series mod ever as far as im concerned and where does it sit, maybe one room up during peek hours and for all the work that dev team did its like all the bf2 players spitting in their face at once.

i think its just really hard to convince new mod teams to start, they figure why should they even waste their time on something nobody will play or only play for a month.

i think zuiquan1 was being sarcastic, there is a ww1 battleship mod and he is the one who created it, its an outstanding mod but where does it sit, no players, like all other bf2 mods. it brings a tear to my eye........

Comment

mods you should look out for then

BF Priates 2
                    BrickField

both of thous mods will own! soo cant wait

Comment

Department Store Battles not float your boat?

Comment

We're pimping mods now? I think Battleracer and Sandbox are about as far out there as you can get.

I think the current mods have many things that make it so much cooler than vanilla BF2. Take DCon's artillery system for example. It's very different from any weapons because you've got cameras and stuff out there.

Comment

Man, I have so many ideas for games and mods, it would take about a day to list them all. Though only a few were specifically for the BF2 engine or possibly to a lesser extent the "improved" bf2 engine used with bf2142. Some fo the ideas are full conversions, others are mini mods and there are only a few tweaking ideas.

I would rather not list the ideas i have though unless i know for a fact someone is going to develop them, or use part of the ideas at least. i dont mind giving the idea away for free, but i do when i don't get credit for my ideas. If anyone serious about developing mods wants to hear my ideas, let me know in a private message.

Comment

Originally posted by Sir. Elxx
                            We're pimping mods now? I think Battleracer and Sandbox are about as far out there as you can get.
                            Niche mods. But fcking brrilliant nonetheless. With Battleracer being still an underdeveloped product.

POWER, Im nodding in an agreement. I too have to let go of the pipedream. When POE2 hit the downloaders, and its in its current position, makes me want to cry.

Quake Wars is on my "to go to that game now" list. I wish it wont disappoint me, otherwise I just might have to go out, get a girlfriend and start a life

Still wishing for a team to get together, create a brand new concept and make a mod out of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris_Redfield View Post
                              Quake Wars is on my "to go to that game now" list. I wish it wont disappoint me, otherwise I just might have to go out, get a girlfriend and start a life
                              Dont start thinking crazy just yet!

We still have Crysis

Comment

Working...
                              X