Vista or other problem?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vista or other problem?

Running vista home premium with one gig ram and using a geforce 7900 GS, game runs fine in 800 x 600 mode, but if i change the video to anything higher the video goes a garbled and totally locks up and shuts down the monitor... could it possibly be a PSU or RAM problem. also using a 22 inch AL2216W monitor with a native resolution of 1680 X 1050. thanks.

Re: Vista or other problem?

More RAM definitly.
    I went from 1 gig to 2 gigs and it made alot of difference(I still suck tho!)
    duggerh2001

Comment

If you haven't would also be a good idea to update the video drivers. I'm using the 158.45,

on my 7600GT and the performance is as good or better than it was in XP.

Oh, and definitely another gig of ram.

Comment

I figured I'd need another gig of ram... but is that the reason for the video going garbled and locking up when i set the resolution to anything higher than 800 x 600 ?

Comment

No, this problem is unlikely to be due to lack of RAM. I would try re-installing your video drivers first.

and also, when turning up the resolution, make sure that you are not accidentally switching it onto a refresh rate too high for your monitor.

Comment

Still having the same problem... uninstalled BF2, installed latest vista 32-bit nvidia drivers for my 7900 GS and reinstalled BF2 and patched it, sometimes I can play for 10 minutes at the most and then screen just freezes and little dots all over the place only way out is to reboot... is there a way to tell if my card is getting enough juice? Bought this pc with vista pre installed and put the 7900 in myself. Could this be the problem?

Comment

If it is not a brand-new video card, blow it out with compressed air. Sounds like overheating to me.

Comment

It's a brand new video card... 7900 gs running off of a 250 wt power supply using the supplied 6 pin pci-e connector adapter but i only had one free molex connectors hanging around in the case so I just plugged one of them into the split adapter thats coming off the back of the card hoping for the best.. the other one not plugged in ( do i need to have both molex connectors from the adapter plugged in? ) was able to play for a cple hours last night with no problems, then tonight fired it up thinking it had worked itself out and after about an hour of play boom the video locked up and froze and required a reboot, tried 2 more times and did the same thing with only about 5 minutes of play these times before video locking up on me again

Comment

7900 gs running off of a 250 wt power supply
                  Hope that is a typo. If it isn't I'm surprised the computer even runs, never mind BF2.

And yes you need to connect to both ends of the adapter.

Comment

No not a typo, I opened up the case and had a look at the psu and it said on it 250 wt max outage... I've also kept an eye on the card temp using ntune and it has't gotten over 51 degrees...

Comment

That PSU is definitely too weak for that video card, let alone any other devices you have in your case.

Comment

Looks like the project for today is to find a decent power supply that is at least 450 W.

Comment

Funny thing is though I jumped on today after work and it ran perfectly fine for about 2 hours without a glitch with settings and res maxed out and was getting easy 60 to 90 fps, so I don't get it... is there any program out there that will tell me if my gfx card is getting enough power as far as I know Nvidia is pretty good for letting you know automatically if the card isn't getting enough juice.

Comment

I just realized that you're running vista with only one gig. I'm amazed you haven't gotten any memory allocation errors yet.

Comment

Working...
                            X