Different User Accounts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Different User Accounts

I created another user account so my brother can play Battlefield 2 and when I get into the game, try to connect to a server, it says the CD-key isn't valid. Any help?

Re: Different User Accounts

Are the user accounts on the same computer or is the game installed twice on yours and your brothers computer?

Comment

Different user accounts would suggest I'm using one computer. I wouldn't have said that if we were both using separate computers. :P

Comment

Can you logon, and he can't? If its the same install and computer, theres more to it than just another name account. Why the question, was it a second install? It it was a bad key, it wouldn't work for either of you.

Comment

It's my PC, but I just created another user account for him so he could use the computer when I'm not. I tried setting it up before he even touched it. I can login and everything, but when I click "Join Server", that's when it says the CD-key is not valid. It's not a second install.

Comment

Originally posted by Octaine View Post
            Different user accounts would suggest I'm using one computer. I wouldn't have said that if we were both using separate computers. :P
            No need to be rude you tw4t

Comment

Do both users have admin rights?

Comment

Originally posted by alex98uk View Post
                No need to be rude you tw4t
                There was nothing rude about it. You're the rude one, unless you're being sarcastic...

epoch, yes, both users have admin rights.

Comment

Ummm.. that certainly did seem rude.

Comment

doesnt matter...u can only have bf2 for one windows user account. it has to do something with the bf2 not being properly set into the registry of the 2nd user account, so just let him use ur account

Comment

The problem is that since patch 1.03 the CD key is encoded in the registry and the encoding depends on the user account. One option would be to install the game & CD key, patch, then make a .reg file of the CD key from the registry (look for a key named ergc). Then, switch to the other user, re-enter and re-encode the CD key (see http://www.totalbf2.com/forums/showthread.php?t=114238 ) and make another .reg file. Then you should be able play using either account after loading the appropriate .reg file.

EDIT: Using the trick in the linked thread about entering the CD key directly into the registry with a x9392 prefix instead of encoding it might let you play on both accounts without needing to use the .reg files.

Comment

Working...
                      X