building computer problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• building computer problems

i recently bought and built a computer, now my problem is installing vista and everything so i can actually use it. here is a word doc with all the specs.

http://www.*********.com/?ff0eg7rliqt
    note the motherboard, i think it is causing the problems im having

i am not very experienced in building computers, i built one with a friend who's dad knows quite a bit about it, but this is my first time on my own system.

After all the physical building part, i turned it on, and it started up seemingly normal. it gave me a list of devises that were working; the only thing that 'failed' was the floppy drive, but considering i did not put one in, that is expected.

Next, i wanted to look at the bios; it said hit del to enter setup, so i did. i looked through, and everything seemed normal, although i was a little frightened that it already had the correct date and time with out being plugged into the internet and no os or drivers for the wireless card. anyway, i set the cd drive to boot first, because i am under the impression that the way to install an OS is to put in the cd and boot that drive first. i exited and saved the bios settings and then restarted.

it started back up again and gave me the list of stuff that was working and that the floppy drive had failed again. i had the same options as before, del to enter setup and F1 to continue. I put in the vista cd and hit F1. it started a loading bar that said it was beginning the vista install process, i thought that was a good thing and that i was making progress. half way through the bar, it jumped to another screen that said something about files being damaged or corrupted and it told me to restart. (i would give you more detail, but i could only get back to that screen one more time and not at all after that) i then restarted and all hell broke loose.

i cant tell you the order of these issues because they came and went in random order for the next couple of hours, even after i opened up the computer and unplugged everything and re-built the computer again.

1. in addition to the floppy drive failing, the cmos battery failed occasionally.
    2. after hitting del from the first screen to try to get back to the bios, it would randomly do one of the following: blank screen with single flashing line (like a text marker underscore at the top left of screen), a screen with a few lines of writing that basically said 'loading', a completely blank screen, or it would actually get to the bios.
    3. similar reactions to hitting the F1 button to continue, if the cd drive was set as the primary boot device, i would sometimes get other screens too. for example i got the loading screen again, but it brought me to a similar error screen. the error screen said hit enter to continue, with brought me back to the original error screen.

when i left it, it was not letting me access the bios or do anthing past the first screen; i got pissed, turned it off and came in here to write this on my old computer.

my one possible idea, although i dont really think its an issue, is that the cd drive is sata, not ide, so it might be possible that the motherboard doesnt recognize it as a cd drive.

any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated.
    Thank You in advance...

ps. i hope this was written clearly enough so that you can tell what's going on; im very confused, which makes it hard to write coherently.

Re: building computer problems

If its reading the cd it seems as though its reading it fine. Is it a blue screen of death you are getting but really quickly?
    In the interim, try resetting your CMOS and starting from setting up the bios again in case there is something you have done it doesnt agree with.
    Nice pc by the way.

Comment

i havent gotten the blue screen, but i think its the black equivalent. i did try resetting the bios when i took it apart and reassembled it. but im thinking its a motherboard issue. the cmos battery failing seems motherboardish and not being able to go from the first screen to the bios seems motherboardish. but i just dont know about the messed up file error i got the couple of times i did manage to start loading windows because that doesnt seem like a motherboard issue.

Comment

I work at Staples and when Vista first came on pre-installed laptops, about 50% of them failed when they were being set up. You might have a dodgy disc :/

Comment

The date and time is right because the battery on the motherboard powers that, it has nothing to do with the internet.
          As for everything else, i'm at a complete loss as to why it's failing!

It the motherboard maybe not compatible with the 64bit Vista?

Comment

ok, so after my problems last night i decided to let it and myself take a break for the night. this morning, i got up, walked over to it, and turned it on. it took me to the first screen where the floppy drive had failed: so far so good. I knew that i had left the bios witht the cd drive set to start first, so i didnt even try to get to the bios. i put in the vista cd, waited 5 seconds, and hit f1 to continue. the 'loading windows' screen with the bar at the bottom came up, and i was thinking 'hey, maybe its working.' when the bar reached the end, it braught me back to that same error screen about a corrupted file, but this time i though to take a picture.

[img=http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/9616/1004067xi2.th.jpg]

its kinda hard to read, but at the top, it says 'Windows Boot Manager' and the lower left says hit enter to coninue and the lower right says hit escape to exit.

i said to restart, so i hit the restart button, it brought me back to the first screen so i hit F1 to continue. i went into the loading screen again and then back to the same error message. this time i hit enter and it went to a black screen.

so i dont seem to be having much motherboard problems, no black screen when i try to do anything from the first screen. but im just not sure how to solve a problem that claims to be a corrupt file.

thanks..

Comment

Not sure if this related or even would work, but here's what happened to me, and may be worth trying. I just built a new computer for myself, and took my old one and built it for my wife to use. I put all my old stuff in a new case to match her kitchen (women, what ya gonna do?) Anyways, the board would not boot because it kept telling me it couldnt find the floppy (yes, it talks, its an Asus P4PE)...I didnt want a floppy in there because she will never use it, and it was the wrong color to match her case (and of course, the kitchen). I think there is something about the board that requires a floppy be connected for it to operate properly. (I know, doesn't make any sense ...its something about the Bios setting the A drive correctly) So, what I did was I installed a floppy, but its laying down inside the case, down in a corner. Thing is, it satisfied what need the board had for it, and its now up and running stable. Just something to try, I am no expert, just thats what worked.

The only other question I would have is, your new system is stable when sitting and waiting for you to load an OS right? If thats true, then it may just be you have a defective copy of Windows ...good luck man, I get the frustration. I had a very good PC man once tell me when he builds a new system, he runs about 50-50 they actually start right up the first try. In other words, wouldnt give up yet :-)

Comment

thanks for the replies, i dont think its directly a floppy issue. but it doesnt really run stable even before i try to install the os. like i said, it only lets me get to the bios sometimes, other times i will get a blank screen or it will get stuck on a "detecting array.." screen. anyways, i have an asian friend coming over latter today, so he should be able to fix everything.

Comment

Working...
                X