Killer Nic is it worth it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Killer Nic is it worth it?

I was looking into buying one of these cards and didn't know if by any chance someone on the forums has one already because i read alot of reviews and as usual they have their highs and lows, anyone wanna give me the heads up to order?

Re: Killer Nic is it worth it?

No, its nothing more than a good looking card. Get a decent router and ethernet cable and you will be playing perfectly.

Comment

thx alot i was just contemplating it because they had good reviews on it but the price for just a little change is way too high right now

Comment

Hey guys,

Dave from Bigfoot Networks here, maker of the Killer NIC. I just wanted to stop by and say that BF2 is one of our best performing games, as many 3rd party reviews have shown.

It is much more than a 'good looking card', to be sure. We have bypassed the entire windows network stack, and simply get data to and from you game faster, which means lower ping, higher framerate, and overall smoother game experience. The Killer is a linux computer on a PCI card, so it can run applications on it (instead of your CPU) giving horsepower back to your game. Our most popular app right now is FNTorrent, a bit torrent client that allows you to download torrents a USB storage device attached to the Killer. The packets never touch your PCI bus and use 0% system resources, all while applying our QoS to make sure your gaming network traffic always gets processed first.

One reviewer had a great quote about the Killer with BF2142 (i know this is BF2 site :

"I also managed to slip in a few (hundred) rounds of Battlefield 2142. I know, this game is not an MMORPG, but most people don't play just one type of game or another. I wasn't sure the Killer NIC was even having an effect on this game until I found myself in the middle of an EM strike with the ground exploding all around me. This usually causes my computer to slow down to slide-show mode, which in turn causes me to get stuck in the explosions and die. I kid you not, the first time this happened with the Killer installed, I died anyway. I was so stunned that I could move normally during the explosions that I just stood there and looked around."

(http://www.mmorpg.com/showFeature.cf...NICReview.html)

Feel free to PM or email me with any further comments or questions!

Comment

^ lollz.

oh and welcome to tbf2.
          "Crunch's First Officer"
          twitter: @signaprime

Comment

Originally posted by davebfn View Post
            I found myself in the middle of an EM strike with the ground exploding all around me. This usually causes my computer to slow down to slide-show mode,
            a network card wont have any effect on that, that is dependant on your Ram/Cpu/Graphics card.

and tbqfh who in their right mind would spend ~$200 on a NIC...

Comment

It's very good, yes. Worth the £200 if you plan on gaming ONLY with it? No way in hell.

Such a card isn't really for gaming, more so for those who would want a bloody PC on a PCI card.

Comment

Originally posted by camperstrike View Post
                Such a card isn't really for gaming, more so for those who would want a bloody PC on a PCI card.
                Certainly has geek-appeal; I want one.

Comment

alright so i gave it a shot and got the killer nic card and i got the DGL 4300 router with gamefuel too and now randomly bf2 will completely crash on me yes the game runs better pingwise but i still have to figure out why it crashes now so hopefully i can get this sorted out

Comment

if it's so good, then offer a money back guarantee, if your not happy we'll give you your cash back :P other that that my 15 ping on UK servers does me just fine

Comment

Working...
                    X