Clear All

• Video Problems

Hi

Every now and then I'm getting weird artifacts like this:

• I've deleted the cache
    • Reinstalled drivers and DX, and even BF2
    • Altered gfx settings
    • PSU is more than sufficient
    • Card is not overheating (cooling is more than adequate)
    • Nothing overclocked (I've never done it)
    This only happens in BF2 and it's mods. Never any problems in BF2142, or any other gfx intensive games, regardless of the settings.

Any ideas?

Relevant System Specs:
    • AMD X2 5200+
    • 2GB RAM
    • nVidia 7950 GT (512MB)
    • Mobo Asus M2N32-SLI
    Thanks in advance

Re: Video Problems

what kind of PSu do you have? ie make!!

It could be a fault with the gfx card, but then you say other games work fine which is strange!

What drivers are you currently using?

When you state
    Card is not overheating (cooling is more than adequate)
    have you physically touched the card when this occurs? and if so, is it hot or not?

Comment

PSU is a coolermaster. 650watt. Can't remember model.

Current drivers are forceware 93.71 (not the 93.81 beta). Have tried older drivers too.

It's definitely not a card overheat problem. It can even happen if I turn the PC on from cold and start playing, and the GPU temp would only be 60-70 which is nowhere near too hot. There is adequate cooling and ventilation in the case and in particular around the card.

I don't believe it's a problem with the card, or problems would occur in other games too. BF2142 is pretty intenstive, and on full settings, Titan mode, full server, with several hours of gameplay I experience no problems at all.

Also, it seems to occur only on selected maps. For example, in Project Reality on Al Basrah.

Weird ...

Comment

Is it in BF2 or the mods where you encounted these issues?

I for one encounter some graphical errors playing PR but BF2 is fine.

I am simply saying that it could be a fault with the mod and nothing to do with your hardware!

Comment

Well it's a long time since I played vanilla, so it might be PR

In all BF2 I get the weird tripping blue tanks and trees from time to time, but yeah, I think this artifact might just be PR (and only certain maps).

Bummer. I love PR.

Comment

Your best bet is to stress your system for a good 12 hours using a very heavy graphical game and if you get no lockups or graphical glitches your in the clear & that PR is at fault.

Just make the team at PR aware of your issue and hopefully you can play PR again when they fix the glitch.

Comment

I can play BF2142, max settings, for many hours with not a single problem. Lol there's no chance of me playing any game for 12 hours - I have a life!! Nah - it must be PR, but there's plenty of maps that it doesn't happen on so I can still enjoy the best mod out there! I'll PM the developers though. Cheers!

Comment

Just cuz I'm making the rounds tonight trying to see who else has this problem...

Try turning of Write Combining.

Right click on your desktop and click properties. Go to Settings -> Advanced. In the troubleshoot tab, turn off write combining.

Don't ask me why, but it seems to fix alot of issues like this.

Comment

C:\Documents and Settings\xxxx\My Documents\Battlefield 2\mods\bf2\cache

delete the shader cache in this file. delete and re optimize shaders. this should sort your problem

If not let me know

Comment

Working...
                  X