its so hard !!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• its so hard !!

i just downloaded GMAX and tried a bit of modelling. after reading a few tutorials, i still cant understand anything. can anyone give me some tips/pointers?

Re: its so hard !!

Only tip I know of is to practice...

I have tried to sit down and model with 3D Studio Max, Maya and Gmax and for some reason I get very frustrated and stop.

For a living I reverse engineer car parts so I use a modelling software (Rhino) but I don't have to actually model anything. I just fix it and edit it.

It seems as though a "blank canvas" is very intimidating...

Comment

I would suggest downloading Blender and practicing in there... it is opensource so it does get a bit frustrating at times, but I just practiced in there (and at school because it was free) until I moved to 3dsMax

Comment

3ds max is easier than gmax..it does take a long time to learn all the stuff, i have had 3ds max 8 for a good 6 months now and i still learn something new every day so just give it time and you will get better.

Comment

http://www.gmaxforum.com/ try here

Comment

3D Modelling is very hard when you first start, I was confused as ****. The best way to learn is by making simple boxes or shapes and expanding from there, also experiment using different filters etc.

Comment

ok so its just practice and reading some tutorials. ill stick at it because i will be working on a private mod for myself in a few weeks

Comment

yo makka

i had never ever tried modeling in my life and one day i decided i wanted to make a weapon mod for STALKER. i downloaded 3ds max and followed along with a VTM making a berretta. i didnt even finish the berretta before starting my m14 mod 0 and check out what i made

I started a model of an MK14 Mod 0 for STALKER Shadow of Chernobyl but unfortunatly that game sucks horribly and any drive I had to complete it went out the window along with the disc. The model is complete though, and it seems a shame to let a sweet model (imo) go to waste. Im not sure if this p...

not bad for a guys first completed model.

im not sure what type of modeling your doing but i plane modeled that (if you dont know what that is its explained in the video tutorial i watched)

if your willing to switch to 3d studio max that video shows you everything you will ever need to know when it comes to modeling. i'll see if i can find it for you if you like

-Phil

i forgot to mention how incredibly easy it was, getting started was hard but once you get used to the controls and how it works you'll be modeling entire sections in one sitting. i was amazed at how quickly i picked it up

i enjoyed it quite a bit too

there are a few things that really pissed me off for a while about getting set up to model so if you do decide to try this pm me and i will tell you a few things that i had trouble with but learned how to fix.

Comment

One thing is to make the model itself. Then you have the time consuming unwrapping, texturing, setting up the hierarcy for export and then the coding part. Most people dont realize how much work it is, but for a somewhat complicated model, you will mayby use a cpl of hundred hours from start to finish. If you're not a patient person, you have to stay away from modelling hehe...

Comment

Working...
                  X