• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Unfair Advantage?

Player on machine with 100 fps and a sub 20ms ping

vs

Player on machine with <25 fps and a >75ms ping

I have played both and differerence is night and day. This unbalanced match is made worse by the fact that the most experienced gamers usually have the faster machines on better connections leaving the poor recreational gamers feeling like the other guy must be hacking.

Is there anyway to balance the matchups?

Re: The Unfair Advantage?

Not really, this is how BF2 is..

Comment

People with higher pings tend to be harder to hit, due to the hitbox not registering nearly as often. Often these people can 'skip' frames, making them almost invulnerable to gunfire at times.

This is one of the many reasons why there is an auto-kick for high pings.

Comment

Originally posted by Dairuka View Post
        People with higher pings tend to be harder to hit, due to the hitbox not registering nearly as often. Often these people can 'skip' frames, making them almost invulnerable to gunfire at times.

This is one of the many reasons why there is an auto-kick for high pings.

Cool thats the answer to the question i now don't have to answer.

Comment

Originally posted by ampan View Post

vs

I have played both and differerence is night and day. This unbalanced match is made worse by the fact that the most experienced gamers usually have the faster machines on better connections leaving the poor recreational gamers feeling like the other guy must be hacking.

Nope, that's the way online gaming is. Not all players are created equal, hardware-wise.

It's the sole thing that pisses me off in online gaming. I am fiercely competitive and I absolutely hate to lose - the round, the firefight, what have you. I don't mind losing when I know I've had full opportunity to win - I lose graciously.

It's only when lag and hardware gets in the way of my full potential, and I lose, then I get real mad, lol.

Comment

Scroll down to the Usersettings.con section, the reason that a target with a high ping is harder to hit is because of the set time for latency compensation which is default 100 (which says your ping is 100 and compensates for that...kinda), which means a ping lower than 100 I believe you aim behind the target a ping of more than 100 you would lead the target that would be for your ping I don't know if the person your shooting ping matters.

Comment

Someone tried to vote kick me last night, when I asked why they replied: 'PING FAR TOO LOW'

My ping is 10. I lol'd especially since there was several other players with less then 10 ping.

Surely you could tweak your system a bit to get more then 25fps? O/C CPU / Memory and Video Card. Use all low settings apart from geometry which should be med or high. Also 75 Ping isn’t that bad, I play with that on some servers.

Comment

vs

online gaming has been like that for the last 14 years. I have noticed though that bf2 isnt as sensitive to ping as alot of other games. Framerate does make a big difference in bf2 imo.
                "Crunch's First Officer"
                twitter: @signaprime

Comment

The thing about BF2 that I find annoying is that I can play most games (Half Life 2, Company of Heroes, Doom 3, Quake 4, etc) fine on high settings, but my computer gets 15-20 FPS on low settings in BF2...

Comment

I have a high end machine, but mostly I get 60-100 ping.

Comment

Originally posted by raidyr View Post
                      The thing about BF2 that I find annoying is that I can play most games (Half Life 2, Company of Heroes, Doom 3, Quake 4, etc) fine on high settings, but my computer gets 15-20 FPS on low settings in BF2...
                      If you have an Nvidia card, you need the perfect driver for it. BF2 is very fussy with Nvidia drivers. I'll get back to you on which drivers I have installed.

Edit: I have a 7950 GT with driver version 9.1.4.7(or 91.47). Works well with BF2 and I run all high at 80+ fps.

Comment

Get a better computer

Comment

its not unfair when everyone is able to buy a new pc.

Comment

Originally posted by zipp0r View Post
                            its not unfair when everyone is able to buy a new pc.
                            It is when you're ignorant.

With 1,800 children dying every hour from starvation in the world; it makes you wonder if we really have our priorities straight.

UNICEF works in over 190 countries and territories to protect the rights of every child

Comment

I'd rather have a machine that runs at least 30fps then we will talk about pings but if your machine is lagging ping really wont make a diffrence.

Comment

Working...
                              X