Problem(s) with wireless router/switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem(s) with wireless router/switch

Hey guys, this is not exactly BF2 related, but the thing is, I just set up a wireless router (works as a switch as well) so I can share the Internet Connection with other devices...

Currently I'm using NETGEAR's WGT624, and I have everything set up. But I'm noticing a significant speed decrease in my PC - and it is connection to the router is wired, not wireless.

Before:
    PC > Modem

Now:
    PC (wired) > Wireless Router > Modem
    Notebook (wirelessly) > Wireless Router > Modem

I've just checked my ping to a server in Dallas and it's 120 ms (used to be 20 ms). Is this normal or I did something wrong?

Also, I'd like to know how to setup a small local network - connecting the notebook to the PC through the router (that is, without having to go through the Internet).

Thanks

Re: Problem(s) with wireless router/switch

Normal. Ping goes anywhere from 0-200ms on top in my experience. Check your router settings.

Oh, and make sure the connection isn't simultaneously being used, i.e. someone else streaming vids or using bandwidth in any way, shape or form. Ping will go through the roof.

Comment

could be just coincidence. your ping shouldn't change with a wired router. try a tracert to that IP and see where the lag is coming from.

ps. also buy a mic, because I couldn't talk to you on voip the other day.
      "Crunch's First Officer"
      twitter: @signaprime

Comment

Originally posted by Churrasco
        Also, I'd like to know how to setup a small local network - connecting the notebook to the PC through the router (that is, without having to go through the Internet).
        Shouldn't need to do much besides plugging them in. What exactly do you want to do between the two computers? Running a local co-op game of BF2 for example shouldn't need anything extra. If you want to share files you just need to right-click the folder and select "Sharing...". The exception would be if your router has firewall protection between the local ports but most don't by default.

Comment

In mine i have pc wired to router, then router wired to modem. As for the wireless setup its signalled from the router to my pci card.

What about the speeds when you ping using the wired pc?

Also this may help but are you using a CAT5 or 6 cable to connect your pc to the router?

Comment

Working...
          X