No announcement yet.

card overheating, but fan is good, wtf?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• card overheating, but fan is good, wtf?

Just today my card starting reaching temperatures of over 90 celsius. But the fan is working fine not to mention I have one of those small desktop fans I use to cool it as well. It usually never goes above 70 and I peaked at 92 or 93 a minute ago. Can anyone think of an explanation for this madness? thanks.

Re: card overheating, but fan is good, wtf?

what card do you have? have you cleaned it of dust?

Comment

6800gs, I sprayed what I had left and got quite a bit of dust out 30 minutes ago. There might be some still in it, but not much. It's crazy, because I was playing fine earlier. Then I go back in game just recently and all of sudden the card is reaching temps of 90 and higher for no apparent reason. I'd understand if the internal cooling fan quit working but it didn't.

Comment

have you tried smartdoctor and apply the fan spedd to 100%, drops my card temp by 15 degrees

Comment

Originally posted by ReaperUK
          have you tried smartdoctor and apply the fan spedd to 100%, drops my card temp by 15 degrees
          hmm never heard of it, gotta link?

Comment

Well with the card being so old its memory thermal compound could be dryed up, if you know how, pick up some new thermal compound and re-apply them to the memory chips on the card then re-attach the heatsink + fan.

Comment

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/V...rtDoctor.shtml, says its for asus cards but works for me...

Comment

Originally posted by ReaperUK
                http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/V...rtDoctor.shtml, says its for asus cards but works for me...
                I installed the program and it says it can't find an ASUS gfx card. Did it tell you that? what kind of card and MOBO do u have?

Comment

hmmm i'll look into this for you m8 but i won't reply until tomorrow....

Comment

Well, i took the card apart and there was literally a wall of dust caked up against the heatsink blocking all airflow. So looks like I get to take the thermal compound back and save $10. Dust is the anti-christ.

Comment

Haha that would be right, all them older cards must be getting dusty thermal compound by now. Make sure you apply it to the memory and the core, if you have never done it before just put blobs on each thing, dont worry about flattning it out, when you put the heatsink on that should flatten everything for ya. Also, try and get some thick stuff too, the real wet stuff kinda sucks.

Comment

Working...
                      X