Lost my BF2 CD-key, any ideas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lost my BF2 CD-key, any ideas?

First of all, my BF2 and BF2:SF CDKeys are(were) both genuine. But my old HDD crashes every now and then so I made a fresh install in a new HD and all... I can't find my BF2 CD's anymore so I used a backup.

Since I couldn't retrieve my plain old CDKey, I tried to copy the encrypted one from the registry and then pasted it back in the new Windows installation, but it just doesn't work. It says "Invalid CD-Key" or whatever when I try to join an online game.

I don't know if the encryption scheme is different depending on whatever factors, or if the backup is a DVD version and my old CDKey was from a CD, but anyways it's not working.

Any ideas?
    Thanks

Re: Lost my BF2 CD-key, any ideas?

The only advice I can give mate is to contact Ea and ask them for help, if you haven't already done so.
    Sorry.

Comment

make sure that you entered it right obviously but if that dosnt work then try to get a key from a freind or something and once you get it right it down somewhere if your HD crashes alot.

EA wont give you a key unless you pay them.

Comment

Originally posted by Churrasco
        First of all, my BF2 and BF2:SF CDKeys are(were) both genuine. But my old HDD crashes every now and then so I made a fresh install in a new HD and all... I can't find my BF2 CD's anymore so I used a backup.

Since I couldn't retrieve my plain old CDKey, I tried to copy the encrypted one from the registry and then pasted it back in the new Windows installation, but it just doesn't work. It says "Invalid CD-Key" or whatever when I try to join an online game.

I don't know if the encryption scheme is different depending on whatever factors, or if the backup is a DVD version and my old CDKey was from a CD, but anyways it's not working.

Any ideas?
        Thanks
        Organization is the key. Never loose CD-keys or CD's/DVD's!!
        You need the CD-key that is on the manual. You may loose the CD/DVD, if you still have the key, there is no problem. You can install BF2 /SF from a CD/DVD copy, but you really need a valid key i.e. the one you got when you bought the game!

Good luck

FipZ

Comment

How do people lose their CD-Keys... I still have my original Quake and Duke Nukem 3D CDs easily found in a box...

Comment

if u registered ur game with EA when u first installed it, u can find it somewhere on their site

Comment

Originally posted by ent|ty
              How do people lose their CD-Keys... I still have my original Quake and Duke Nukem 3D CDs easily found in a box...
              I don't know, it seems like it just vanished.

Chrissakes, it even looks like my house has been ransacked now :hmm:

Comment

Happened to me as well. You need to mail $10 and one of the original BF2 CDs as proof of ownership to EA's Customer Service goons, and they'll return your CD along with a brand new CD key.

Comment

i heard if u call them up and read off the numbers on the CD itself, they would give u a new CD key...

also u get that error if ur trying logged into a windows account that is not admin

Comment

I had the same problem when trying to reinstall BF2, I wondered for 3 days ( where the hell is the CD key) I then opened the CD case, grabbed the manual and turned it to the back side. And there it was that beautiful code, right on the back of my manual top and centered. If this doesn't help, then I'm stupid for answering. Hope you get it.

Comment

Originally posted by Churrasco
                      I don't know, it seems like it just vanished.
                      For future reference, keep all your gamekeys in a file that you can make multiple backups of so you never lose them. Some games may even let you cut-and-paste the key so you won't need to type 16+ random characters in when you reinstall.

Comment

Working...
                      X