Black dots/spots (WTF?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black dots/spots (WTF?)

Wtf is this ****, they to be appearing on the map and ****, and they're all over well not exactly all over, but you know what i mean

i.e. when i approach or look at the land, the big black dots/spots appear

and the truth is, other games work fine

****in' EA

I actually updated my driver yesterday and they didn't appear anywhere else, the graphics were strong and now today it's same as before, wtf?

Re: Black dots/spots (WTF?)

Likely a cooling issue. How long has it been since you put an air-gun to the dustbunnies recently?

I noticed some artifacts right after the weather began warming up. Sure enough, I blew out a colony of the little buggers.

Comment

Cooling issue, huh........hmm, well if it was the case, then the game would've froze or quit, wouldn't it? I actually have 8800 gtx.

I don't know, u may be right, but the truth is it always went smooth and then after few days the black dots/spots on map started to appear, which is weird and then one day i install a new driver, everything goes smooth as before and then next day it's black spots........

Comment

Hmmm. It could be the drivers or some other software conflict. Usually, though, artifacts that pop up and go away are due to a physical problem with the card that prevents it from working at spec. If you (carefully) take the side panels off your psu, point a housefan at the innards, and giver her a 'rip, you'll know posthaste whether your case's ventilation is the culprit.

Another possibility is that the PSU isn't providing either enough total or enough stable power. I'm guessing that anyone who splashes out on a 8800 series card goes the extra mile and gets a decent PSU, though, and I'm guessing you've already done the "wire wiggle" to make sure they're all making decent enough contact, etc.

As an aside, have you tried clearing the BF2 video cache in a subfolder of BF2 under the "my documents" folder?

Comment

Yeah, I am going to second that there is a physical problem with the card. If you can, see if you can send it back to newegg or where ever for a swap out. I had the same issue (similar) with my first 7800GT. It was not a cooling issue, but a problem with the card. I borrowed my friends card (same version/model) and with the same driver it had no problem. Upgraded the Firmware, still same problem. Upgraded the driver, same problem.

The problem I sad was the screen started to look like a mirror that had been shot in the center.

Comment

You're card is overheating definately. You need to cool it better. Are all your fans on?

Comment

Thanks for the responses.

Well, when my computer was never on - well, practically the whole day, so I don't see the overheating would be the factor. I think it may be the game. When I start, and I start the game and they do appear.

My power supply's 500W. I have got a case fan also.

Here are the screenshots if anyone doesn't get what I'm talking about:

As an aside, have you tried clearing the BF2 video cache in a subfolder of BF2 under the "my documents" folder?
              What do you mean? I don't see the "BF2 Video cache" or anything related to this

Any amount of help would be appreciated.

Comment

Clearing the video cache. The first three links are all relevant, but all say the same thing. It looks like your missing texture data to me:

Looking back over the forums, alot of folks had trouble with their new 7900's in April of last year due to the new drivers/new hardware situation.

If you're monitoring your temps in game, and they are remaining in spec, then ^ is probably right and you should consider contacting the retailer for a replacement.

edit: oh yeah--the short explanation for deleting the video cache is that doing so will force the program to reload the data (textures/shaders/geometries/etc) instead of relying on the (potentially) mucked and corrupted data that it has already got stored.

Comment

OK, i have had that same thing happen. Now, you might want to check for overheating. Head over to an OverClockers forum/site and see what the normal (non-OCed) Temp is for an 8800GTX. Download the nVidia nMonitor software from Nvidia.com and run it while playing. Jump out real quick and take a look. That will help rule out the overheating. I don't think a reinstall will help but you could try to rule that out also.

As for the PSU thing, well, you could be pushing it with that PSU from what I have read in the last few months. You are not telling us if you are OCing your CPU. I believe that you need a minimum of 500W to run the GTX G80.

Check your temps while you are getting artifacts. If a driver or game reinstall does not fix it, then it could be a bad card. I have never seen it happen again after I replaced my last card.

Go out on the web and look for the nvidia driver cleaner. It will remove everything from the registry that might be jacking something up if you are going the route of driver reinstall.

Comment

Sounds like a lot of things I have to do...

I was thinking to contact evga for technical help but it says I have to register and have to fill out amount of personal information :hmm: :|:

But what I did was to completely remove and uninstall the whole game and re-install, and it worked fine, and then applied a patch to it, i saw the black dots. I have not tried once again playing without upgrading a patch so I think perhaps the patch could be the problem. I don't know.

Comment

Originally posted by TRAJIK
                      and it worked fine, and then applied a patch to it, i saw the black dots. I have not tried once again playing without upgrading a patch so I think perhaps the patch could be the problem. I don't know.
                      Bad file perhaps? Have you tried re-downloading it from a different source?

Comment

have you played another game and do you still get the black dots, ? try useing a difrent driver as well

Comment

Yes, is there any way to downgrade this game, make it everything back to original without uninstalling and installing with like 5 discs involved? Thanks.

I got these patches from EA's battlefield 2 website..

If it was a bad file itself, would it not have succeeded to install, but yet it did?

Hmm, I think it would be a good idea to replace the card and everything - but may I ask how? What steps should I take? If it does the same, then I'll find out it's definitely the game.

Comment

Check this out, I posted on another board:

Originally posted by Thinkpad
                            I have an 8800GTS-640 in my gaming machine right now, running Vista and haven't had any problems like that in BF2. I can't speak for XP however.
                            Originally posted by Alan
                            Same as Thinkpad, except that I'm running the GTX as well, but also on Vista. Battlefield 2 runs without problems as well here.
                            Sounds like it's my card...............****

Comment

I have this problem with an asus 8800gtx using the nvidia drivers from the website, I switched to the asus drivers and all is well so far...I hope.

Comment

Working...
                              X