Pilots help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pilots help please

I used to be a very good jet pilot (i think), i used to be able to hold my own in any jet and with very little deaths.
    I never used to j-10 whore as i get bored quick and wanted a challenge. Then at xmas my mother bought me a 3d pro and i loved the feel and the control over the mouse and keyboard i used to use.
    The problem is that now whenever i go to fly (almost every round) i just cant seem to do all the stuff i used to be able to do even though now i am more comfortable with my joystick. I just seem to get shot down a lot by just not being able to loose my enemy's at all in any of the jets. I have hears Chris and metallica talk about joystick settings but was hoping a experienced pilot could help me out with setting up my 3d pro and helping me to get better to the standards im used to.

Thanks
    if anybody wants to add me to xfire to help add mardgee

Re: Pilots help please

No body can tell you whats the best setting , every one use what they feel best for them . And all people get better and better every day so its no wonder you keep getting killed by another jet pilot who is be better than you.

Comment

In all fairness, joystick is no match to a mouse and keyboard in terms of control response. When Im out of missiles, and only run with cannon ammo- THOSE pilots are the hardest to kill. I wouldnt go as far as saying that you get worse in evasion with a joystick, Im just saying that with a stick, your evasions are a lot more "natural" and "logical", and as such you really have to evade using "counter maneuvers", rather than playing the "being unpredictable" card. The thing with a stick is that it allows for a more natural feel with a lot more control in tracking. When it comes to evasions, you can quickly tell who is who, because a stick pilot creates one, same evasion move for his first 1-3 maneuvers.

In order to somewhat combat the difference in control response, I would suggest you use some software to create lighning fast sensitivity, but its a ***** to get used to, and you need some heavy hours with a stick to even start turning the sensitivity up by a small ammount.

Comment

Chris, do you use the profiler and if so what are the settings for x,y and twist axis as well as your in-game sensitivity.

Comment

To me, whether the joystick is effective for evasions or not will depend on the pilot. There are some pilots who take advantage of the different freedom offered by the joystick, and can execute some of the not often seen evasions.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris_Redfield
            In all fairness, joystick is no match to a mouse and keyboard in terms of control response. When Im out of missiles, and only run with cannon ammo- THOSE pilots are the hardest to kill. I wouldnt go as far as saying that you get worse in evasion with a joystick, Im just saying that with a stick, your evasions are a lot more "natural" and "logical", and as such you really have to evade using "counter maneuvers", rather than playing the "being unpredictable" card. The thing with a stick is that it allows for a more natural feel with a lot more control in tracking. When it comes to evasions, you can quickly tell who is who, because a stick pilot creates one, same evasion move for his first 1-3 maneuvers.

In order to somewhat combat the difference in control response, I would suggest you use some software to create lighning fast sensitivity, but its a ***** to get used to, and you need some heavy hours with a stick to even start turning the sensitivity up by a small ammount.

Is there anything to tune the sensitivity of a mouse/kb setup? I'd love to push it beyond BF2's max settings, they're way too low to be decent.

Comment

Mardgree, Im using DXTweak2, which Ive also posted a shallow help topic about. Its far, far better than Logitech Profiler, and has a lot more good options to play with. Also, its not limited on Logitech Joysticks. Search it up.

I have 4 different settings, which I used 3 of, when I used to play a lot. Theres a very blunt and less agile "Air to ground" setting, a very twitchy and agile "Air to air" setting, then some mixed medium setting. And one for BF2142, for 50-60 hours of my total playtime in that crapfest.

For example, for dogfights I have an extremely high sensitivity rate (10% of joystick pull is already maximum sensitivity) for PITCH UP movement, normal sensitivity for PITCH DOWN, and a semi-high sensitivity for rolling movement.

Originally posted by camperstrike
              Is there anything to tune the sensitivity of a mouse/kb setup? I'd love to push it beyond BF2's max settings, they're way too low to be decent.
              BF2 max settings. You could also buy a gaming mouse, with 2000 dpi. I would suggest simply adding a PITCH UP key if youre using a mouse so you wouldnt have to raise the mouse off the board and whatnot.

Birdkiller, it only takes some experience to identify a pilot by their control methods.

Joystick
              Mouse
              Keyboard/gamepad

They all play differently.

Comment

Thanks Chris you have been most helpful. I'm just gonna ask metallica on xfire what he does when he gets on and see if i can get comfortable trying both. I would love to see how you fly but since no one noes your in game nick i cant exactly join you and watch

if any other pilots such as blades, colony, or metallica would like to post here later to help me and other pilots in the same situation im sure we would all be grateful.

Comment

Originally posted by mardgee
                  Chris, do you use the profiler and if so what are the settings for x,y and twist axis as well as your in-game sensitivity.
                  You have to max it out and get used to it.. takes a week or so.

I have all of my sensitivities all the way up.

Comment

Originally posted by metallicaguitrst
                    You have to max it out and get used to it.. takes a week or so.

I have all of my sensitivities all the way up.

I used to tool that Chris suggested and it works wonders, I'm not getting the kills i used to but im not dieing.

Comment

Originally posted by mardgee
                      I used to tool that Chris suggested and it works wonders, I'm not getting the kills i used to but im not dieing.
                      The difference between that tool and Logitech Sh!t Prolifer is that its precise, and lets you adjust any axis the way you want it. Plus, the deadzones work well and you dont have to keep it open for it to work.

I remember using the Profiler, you get nowhere near the result youd get with DXTweak2. Also, you can basically turn your stick close to analogue, when it comes to response time by increasing the sensitivity to such a limit where even a slightest touch would make the jet turn with its maximum speed. Whether it is good or bad, has yet to be tested

I trust that youve become familiar with the program through my thread?

Comment

doesnt using a "tool" come under the same scenario as using a third party software program to create a macro
                        it was drilled into my head that even though I have a G15 kb, the "software" that the G15 uses to create a macro is considered a third party program therefore illegal according to ROE
                        so isnt using software to tweak your sensitivity in-game the same thing...a third party program, therefore a cheat

Comment

Originally posted by Gun Slinger
                          doesnt using a "tool" come under the same scenario as using a third party software program to create a macro
                          it was drilled into my head that even though I have a G15 kb, the "software" that the G15 uses to create a macro is considered a third party program therefore illegal according to ROE
                          so isnt using software to tweak your sensitivity in-game the same thing...a third party program, therefore a cheat
                          Go think about what youre saying because youre talking BS.

DXTweak is a joystick calibration/ sensitivity tweaking program.

Im not even going to bother telling you why it isnt against ROE.

Comment

ya but technically speaking....it IS a 3rd party program isn't it? It doesn't come from EA/DICE, is not a part of BF2, and is not a part of the software included with your joystick. I dont think Gunslinger is accusing you of being a cheater, hes just wondering if it is technically considered that. I know you said that you weren't even going to bother telling us why it isnt against ROE, but could you? I don't see it as wrong, but am just wondering what is considered a 3rd party program. You are "tweakin" settings that you wouldn't normally be able to tweak in that way with the software you purchased.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMafia
                              ya but technically speaking....it IS a 3rd party program isn't it? It doesn't come from EA/DICE, is not a part of BF2, and is not a part of the software included with your joystick. I dont think Gunslinger is accusing you of being a cheater, hes just wondering if it is technically considered that. I know you said that you weren't even going to bother telling us why it isnt against ROE, but could you? I don't see it as wrong, but am just wondering what is considered a 3rd party program. You are "tweakin" settings that you wouldn't normally be able to tweak in that way with the software you purchased.
                              Youre tweaking joystick sensitivty because BF2 didnt came with the option. Alternatively, by those stupid and simply moronic suggestions, every software working with BF2 is a "third party illegal software" and thats including your precious musical programs playing MP3s aswell. Besides, DXTweak is NOT WORKING with BF2, it just adjusts the sensitivity Windows has assigned to the stick, so technically this isnt the kind of third party software you monkeys are talking about.

Im using a gamma correction software with hotkeys assignes to level up or down my brightness, call that a "3rd party illegal software" too? Because as we know, DICE didnt create an option for that. Then again! Your monitor has one too. Ban the monitors.

Listen, Im all up for a good and reasonable explanation, but explaining why this program doesnt fall under ROEs restrictions, especially when you guys dont have a clue what that program even does is wasting my time, wasting the space of this thread and is basically pissing me off.

Now kindly, bugger off, explore the wonders of different utilities that help you in the game and get some common sense. BF2 by its very nature is so limited, that smarter people do use help from programs that didnt, but should have come with the game.

I used a crosshair utility because its a fact that BF2 crosshairs are off the center
                              I used gamma correction with hotkeys because BF2 maps are way too dark for their own good, and in some cases way too bright
                              I used DXTweak instead of Logitech Profiler because BF2 has no means to adjust the sensitivity for the joystick
                              And, theres JoyToKey, because DICE didnt introduce mouselook on/with the joystick

Comprende? Now go cry me ROE and see if I give a sh!t.

Comment

Working...
                              X