...I have highspeed dial-up.
    Isn't that an oxymoron?

Comment

Re: Whats EA gonna do bout the lag spikes

gogogo blame the game for your crap connection

Comment

lol sledge it is i think...

on topic: yeah i get these lagspikes sometimes, i just live with them and they usually go after 2-3 mins... then i carry back on my usual rampage of getting owned

Comment

Originally posted by Nefarious
          It may not be your internet, but your machine. Follow this Tip 4 for increasing performance:

If BF2 gets worse as a high priority application, simply change it to low. It works for me, no lag what so ever, and I have highspeed dial-up.
          That post right there tells me how BF2 is really ****ed up... I mean for the love of god there is bf2lag.com website. :laugh:

Comment

There is a program out there called BF2 cleaner. You can google it to find it and it is free. This will clean out your BF2 files. The only minimal down side is that the first time you return to the game you will have to wait while the program optimizes your shaders again.

I would also run a few spyware programs and clean up your machine as well as use a registry cleaner. I can suggest some programs here if you need them.

Check msconfig and see how many programs are starting up and running in the background. Things like quicktime, real media, automatic spyware programs and logitec mouse and keyboard controlers and the like will add themselves to this list upon install and the next thing you know, there are 20 new processes running. All of this eats up computer resources and bogs things down.

Do you have onboard sound or a seperate audio card? A seperate audio card can make an unbelievable amount of difference in gaming as it relieves your MoBo of the audio processing work.

If you are really PC savy, you can try going through the Windows XP teak guide. This will show you a number of ways to free up resources and RAM and make your computer run smoother and faster. Remember, stupid screensavers, fancy pointers, wallpapers, etc all eat up resources.

DO NOT forget to update your Punkbuster.

To make things easy for me, I have a dual boot computer. One hard drive is set up with XP Pro and has all my office programs, photoshop, email, music, ITunes, etc on it. I surf the web only on this one and use it for my normal everyday conputer work.
            The other hard drive has XP home on it and is set up for gaming ONLY. I stripped every unnecessary program from it, use only the neccessary services, (I even turned off print spooler) set it up to run for performance and made sure every possible ounce of computer resource was left available for gaming. It works extremely well, it keeps others from screwing with my game settings (wife and kids) I don't have to do maintenance nearly as much and it always purrs like a kitten!

Comment

Originally posted by [MOH] Coach
              There is a program out there called BF2 cleaner. You can google it to find it and it is free. This will clean out your BF2 files. The only minimal down side is that the first time you return to the game you will have to wait while the program optimizes your shaders again.

I would also run a few spyware programs and clean up your machine as well as use a registry cleaner. I can suggest some programs here if you need them.

Check msconfig and see how many programs are starting up and running in the background. Things like quicktime, real media, automatic spyware programs and logitec mouse and keyboard controlers and the like will add themselves to this list upon install and the next thing you know, there are 20 new processes running. All of this eats up computer resources and bogs things down.

Do you have onboard sound or a seperate audio card? A seperate audio card can make an unbelievable amount of difference in gaming as it relieves your MoBo of the audio processing work.

If you are really PC savy, you can try going through the Windows XP teak guide. This will show you a number of ways to free up resources and RAM and make your computer run smoother and faster. Remember, stupid screensavers, fancy pointers, wallpapers, etc all eat up resources.

DO NOT forget to update your Punkbuster.

To make things easy for me, I have a dual boot computer. One hard drive is set up with XP Pro and has all my office programs, photoshop, email, music, ITunes, etc on it. I surf the web only on this one and use it for my normal everyday conputer work.
              The other hard drive has XP home on it and is set up for gaming ONLY. I stripped every unnecessary program from it, use only the neccessary services, (I even turned off print spooler) set it up to run for performance and made sure every possible ounce of computer resource was left available for gaming. It works extremely well, it keeps others from screwing with my game settings (wife and kids) I don't have to do maintenance nearly as much and it always purrs like a kitten!
              nice post great tips,i run a similar set up as you with 2 hardrives,1 for gaming ect,

and if you keep the processes down to a minimum (i use 20) then all me games run nice(bf2 included)

welcome to forums as well,im sure you advise and future advise will come in handy for a lot of ppl

Comment

Or you can go to start>my documents>BF2 and clean out whatever you don't want. Kinda a better decision than adding another 3rd party program to you rmachine.

Comment

Yes you can clean out your files on your own however, I try not to encourage people to start deleting things on there own as I have no idea how computer savy they may or may not be. BF2 cleaner is safe, will only remove files that will not corrupt the installation, does not run in the background, will not mess with any other programs or cause other PC and or OS problems and allows more technical people to make shoices if they so desire.

Here is a link to the program if anyone would like to check it out!

planetbattlefield.gamespy.com/View.php?view=BF2Tools.Detail&id=114

I removed the http:// in case admin frowns upon active links!

Comment

Working...
                  X