doesn't run smoothly...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• doesn't run smoothly...

Ok so i installed BF2 sometime late last year....been playing it on and off since then, my problem is that most of the time my game feels like its lagging, when its not. I had heaps of crap on my computer, spyware and all that, so i formatted the other week, since i did that, gameplay was fine, it was running all smooth, but now its gone back to what it was, it just freezes up while im playing, like i'll run along and then the screen freezes for a second or 2 then goes back to normal. It crashes a every now and then to desktop, it did that twice in one sitting the other night. It used to crash to desktop like every 40 mins before i formatted, now its just starting to do that again after a few weeks of being fine. But its constantly jumping which is really annoying, as the game freezes up, the sound goes in and out too....it feels like bad lag when i don't have any.

Not sure how to fix it....update drivers, get a new graphics card? i dunno what settings to run it on either....im stuck (and not really computer literate when it comes to gaming specs so be gentle :P) btw how do i check my specs ?

Thanks.

Re: doesn't run smoothly...

first try removing spyware.. Spybot should be the best way. Download all updates and librarys you can for it and make full scan.

Defragment hard drive(s)

Tuneup Utilities 2007 http://www.tune-up.com/products/tuneup-utilities/ is nice tool.. you can fix/repair registry, remove unneeded files from harddrive, tweak computer and much more.. download it.. no need to provide actual email address while getting trial. just adsls@djhudg.net do fine. 1-Click Maintenance is cool feature. Try it. It does row of actions to clean up and enchance your pc. Program will work even after the trial period is exceeded.. fewhundred seconds of timer countdown before you can start main program is only thing you have to wait after

If you have several harddrives and swapfile is located on same drive with windows then change it. You will get nice speedbump when swapfile is on separate harddrive (physical hard drive)

turn off all Windows Services you dont need.. Windows Help, Messenger, Smart Card (if you dont use any) etc. this helps you free additional memory, and less swap will be used..which is generally good since swap is thousands times slower than system ram..

for BF2. there is command like pb_sleep 500
    enter it from console or use shortcut. It will maximize the interval of Punkbuster internal scans and reduce lag caused by Pb. You can save this command by using pb_write cfg so you dont have to enter each time you start playing.

Sometimes antivirus (symantec) will create artificial lag, disable it while you play. You can enable it again after you finish playing. I use NOD32 and this does not affect playing. Some firewalls may also cause lag (packet analysing).

Renaming BF2 main executable BF2.exe to BF_2.exe or whatever might help. It will override graphics driver AI and sometimes reduces lag. But then you need to adjust your shortcuts on desktop/start menu
    hope some of the tips help you

Comment

What are your system specs?

Comment

yeah wat are ur system specs and what settings r u playing on?

Comment

Originally posted by ConscriptVirus
          yeah wat are ur system specs and what settings r u playing on?
          Intel Pentium 4 CPU 3.20 GHz
          1 GB of Ram
          NVIDIA GeForce 6600

and basically all my BF2 settings are on medium except the textures are set to high.

Comment

in the settings turn shaddows off and dynamic light also make sure you have 2xaanaliseing on no like 4x or 6x it uses lots of the graphics cards power try some modded drives be it ati, or nvidia

Comment

def set ur textures back down to medium. ur gig of ram wont be able to handle it at high (which is why it is laggy). i also cant have it on high with 1 gig

Comment

alright thanks guys i'll see how it goes

Comment

but the game looks so crappy w/ out shadows and lighting .. arrgghhh

Comment

Try omega drivers .com ,provides you with tricked out drivers that will make your card work better

Comment

Working...
                    X