X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this a good laptop to run BF2?

GateWay MX6441 789Mhz AMD Turion 64 It looks good. Suggestions. Thanks

Re: Is this a good laptop to run BF2?

the specs show it as only having a 64mb video card. bf2 requires a 128mb vid card minimum.

"Crunch's First Officer"
    twitter: @signaprime

Comment

It doesn't look like the video card could handle it.

:edit: ^hehe

Comment

Originally posted by davelisowski
        It doesn't look like the video card could handle it.

:edit: ^hehe

Can you install new video cards or is that hardware?

Comment

yes video cards are hardware and usually are not upgradeable on a laptop.

only a few laptops have upgradeable video cards such as dell xps laptops using pci-e

edit: never buy a laptop that you will need to upgrade (other than adding memory or a hard drive later on).
          "Crunch's First Officer"

Comment

you want a lappy with a geforce go 6800 or 7800 to play bf2. there might be other gf go's that could do it, but i know they defo made those 2 and they are both capable.

Comment

That won't cut it. By a desktop = more performance and 'upgradibility' for your money.

Comment

You could easily build a PC... and probably for the same price, or less. It just takes some shopping around.

Laptops are usually stuck with what they've got.

:edit: PM me, and I could give you some pointers.

Comment

Originally posted by signa
                  the specs show it as only having a 64mb video card. bf2 requires a 128mb vid card minimum.

http://support.gateway.com/s/Mobile/...09033sp2.shtml
                  I've run it on a Mobile Radeon 9000 64 MB (Latitude C840). Not well, but it runs. From the benchmarks I've seen on the net even if it had more memory the Xpress 200M would only be equivalent to a Radeon 9200 which is pretty bad.

Originally posted by zipp0r
                  you want a lappy with a geforce go 6800 or 7800 to play bf2.
                  Yes, I'd try to stay at least at the 6600 level. I'm currently running BF2 on a Dell Precision M70 that I got on ebay for around $800. It has a nVidia Quadro Go 1400 256 MB which is equivalent to a GF 6800.
                  Some mobile GPU benchmarks:

Comment

It's a Gateway...O.o

No Gateway is game capable without additional work.

My Dell is hardly amazing, but it does what I need to do.

Unless you're buying a gaming laptop, no game will run on it. Period. No current game at least.

Comment

Erm, just ask this fella':

edit...oops. my bad. on the plus side, you can still your pick of linux distros, no problemo.

Comment

Look in the dictionary!!!

LAPTOP - a portable computing device that is great at running business software, but sucks at gaming!!! Henceforth, no laptop will be great at playing BF2!!! (with the exception of shelling out $7,000 for Alienware's notebook with SLI 7950s, 2GB RAM and AMD dual core Chip)

Comment

I used to have a gateway MX3228 which had the sam evideo card. I still have it right here actually. Now I have a new Dell laptop that runs this game (or WOULD if someone looked in my topic hinthint).

I tried installing the game on that laptop and it sucked major crap. Don't even try. If you can find a workaround to get it to run at all, it's not even gonna be worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by kulamonster3
                            Look in the dictionary!!!

LAPTOP - a portable computing device that is great at running business software, but sucks at gaming!!! Henceforth, no laptop will be great at playing BF2!!! (with the exception of shelling out $7,000 for Alienware's notebook with SLI 7950s, 2GB RAM and AMD dual core Chip)
                            I would bever use a dictionary that gave that definition. A laptop won't be 'great' at playing BF2 but, again, my $800 used laptop runs BF2 just fine on medium settings at 1024x768. It probably cost about $2000-$2500 new a year or two ago. (I find notebooks are usually available used for about half price a year after release.) You don't need to pay a huge amount; just look carefully at the video chip before buying.

Comment

Originally posted by kulamonster3
                              ...LAPTOP - a portable computing device that is great at running business software, but sucks at gaming!!! Henceforth, no laptop will be great at playing BF2!!! (with the exception of shelling out $7,000 for Alienware's notebook with SLI 7950s, 2GB RAM and AMD dual core Chip)
                              bah, I have a XPS M170 with a 7800gtx card and it runs bf2 with great frame rates.
                              "Crunch's First Officer"

Comment

Working...
                              X