Pitch and Yaw Factors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pitch and Yaw Factors

I recently bought a Logitec Extreme 3D Pro joy stick. I set up the controls in bf2. There are two settings I don't understand and would like some help in adjusting. What is "Yaw Factor" and "Pitch Factor"? Since I am very new at flying with a joy stick what should I set these at? Thank you.

Re: Pitch and Yaw Factors

pitch = rotation around y-Axis
    yaw = rotation around z-Axis

A higher pitch and yaw factor will let your chopper/jet be more "responsive" to your mouse movements, considering these two rotations.

Hope this is somehow understandable. English is not my mother tongue

Comment

Hey, Thank you very much. What do you recommend I set the yaw and pich factors on bf2 for the jets and helicopters?

Comment

I don't have a joystick so I can't give you much advice. But in general, I think it is better to set them pretty high. You'll maybe have a harder time with lining up your targets at first cause you might fly a bit "shaky", but it will give you better maneuverability (tighter curves, faster rolls.......) what might come in handy at times

Flying with keyboard and mouse, I have everything set on 10 (S/P/Y) for the chopper.
        Can't remember for the jets tough.

Maybe some of the more experienced joystick users can help you further.

Comment

Start with default yaw and pitch and as you progress and get to fly better keep adjusting those setting higher. After few weeks you should have those up to maximum. Just take it slow. Same with helo. I have all of thos now on max for both plane and helo and that is the only way to fly my friend.

Comment

Thank you for the info.

Comment

use mouse for helo
              and set all to MAX

use joystick for jets and set all to minumum
              putting the jet to max does NOT help you turn better
              it DOES make it harder to aim your guns

Comment

The 'Invert Mouse' option if ticked means that pushing your mouse forward will move the character's viewpoint downwards, pulling it back will move the view upwards. If unticked it is the opposite - set to suit your preferences. The Sensitivity setting controls how sensitive your in-game movements are to your mouse movements. The 'Yaw Factor' setting controls the degree to which vehicles roll left or right, while the 'Pitch Factor' controls the degree to which they tilt forward or back - the higher the factor, the more sensitive vehicles will be to such movements.
                source: http://www.tweakguides.com/BF2_5.html

Comment

Hey,

Thank you for all the resoponses. This ia very helpful. Now I just have to practice.
                  mill114

Comment

Originally posted by TopGunGreg
                    use joystick for jets and set all to minumum
                    putting the jet to max does NOT help you turn better
                    it DOES make it harder to aim your guns
                    Is that true? How does it not help you turn better, but at the same time make it harder to aim your guns? Im assuming its harder to aim because its more responsive, so how would you also not be as responsive when you turn. You can turn quicker (sooner) if it is higher I would think.

Comment

I think getting a higher responsiveness would make you initialize a turn faster, but the actual turn would not be quicker. That's only what I believe, is there anyone who can test this?

Comment

Originally posted by mill114
                        Hey, Thank you very much. What do you recommend I set the yaw and pich factors on bf2 for the jets and helicopters?
                        10 and 10

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMafia
                          Is that true? How does it not help you turn better, but at the same time make it harder to aim your guns? Im assuming its harder to aim because its more responsive, so how would you also not be as responsive when you turn. You can turn quicker (sooner) if it is higher I would think.
                          I am 100% sure of the following
                          (and as a former fighter pilot and test pilot - I have some knowledge in this area)
                          anyway

the max pitch rate and roll rate is determined by game code
                          (each jet is a bit different - duh - we all know the j10 turns the fastest)
                          now, once your joystick - no matter what brand- reached it FULL deflection
                          you now have full pitch and or roll rates

ideally - it would be, for example - linear
                          eg
                          1/2 reflection = 1/2 roll rate
                          but in the game, we we are either commanding FULL rates or NO rates
                          (ie 1/2 rate turns are VERY rare)
                          now, imagine the highest sensitivity
                          this means even the SLIGHTEST deflection of your stick gives you the maximum rates - well - how can you make fine adjustments when trying to gun an IGLA? - you cannot

now , for those that say, but I want to turn fast when in a dogfight
                          well - how long does it take you to go from no pull to full pull
                          hmmm . . . maybe a bit less than .1seconds
                          lets say .08 seconds
                          well , at full sensitivity, this would be, say .07 seconds
                          ie - indescernable
                          and now you Get fine tuning for the guns

Comment

the max pitch rate and roll rate is determined by game code
                            Yep i agree with TopGunGreg - its a uniform rate, doesnt matter on your customised profile settings.

Comment

I agree that it is more difficult to aim your guns at first when you set those on high but to me it feels better and I believe i get better response from jet when I do it. When I set my pitch and yaw back to min it felt weird and it had stiff feeling compared to max.
                              Anyway everyone got his own preference so do your own testing and adjust those to your likening.

Comment

Working...
                              X