256k internet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 256k internet?

i currently have 256k internet and i was wondering if it was a bad thing or not. i kinda started thinking it was bad when it took 29 hours to download project reality mod can any1 give some advice or suggestions to help me understand internet speeds? thanks

Re: 256k internet?

i think mines 128k, took me 5 hours to download 1.41 so think yourself lucky

Comment

I hope your not saying you have dialup! :s Still as a mininum get 1mb broadband.

Dont know much about internet speed .... This might help...

Comment

128k is Dual ISDN, ( so yes to dial up but their is no 2hr disconnect & you can have it running 24/7)

256k is low end of Internet Speeds

Australia/NZ are a bit behind on the whole Broadband front i have a few friends their who are struggling to find a suitable ISP

Comment

yea i have broadband adsl2 or something. would a 5mb internet connection help my downloads?

Comment

Originally posted by makka99
            yea i have broadband adsl2 or something. would a 5mb internet connection help my downloads?
            yes, and would help your pings when you try to play on a server outside Australia

Comment

Originally posted by makka99
              yes, it will be 20x faster. if you can get 10mb cheaply then downloading 1gb would take about 20mins.

Scinto, the speed of the line doesnt affect ping times, 256k or 10mb, the pings will be the same.

Comment

Originally posted by zipp0r
                yes, it will be 20x faster. if you can get 10mb cheaply then downloading 1gb would take about 20mins.

Scinto, the speed of the line doesnt affect ping times, 256k or 10mb, the pings will be the same.
                True and not true. And a difficult one to explain.

Comment

ok thanks guys for the really fast replies and nice info

Comment

Originally posted by Bloodsport
                    True and not true. And a difficult one to explain.
                    Agreed not easy to explain.
                    Its the quality (not speed) of your connection that matters most. You might have 256k from your ISP but your 'line' might be capable of much more. The ping is going to be (should be) the same ir your on 256k or 16MB
                    If your are on ADSL make sure your router is plugged straight into the MASTER socket for a start. How far your are from your local exchange is also a big factor.
                    There are so many things that affect it, but the quality of the line is more important than the speed. BF2 does not use a lot of bandwith, its the speed of the bandwith that matters most!

Comment

Working...
                    X