Not happy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Not happy

Handy for practicing flying without the need to do it on a public server.

Comment

Yes, I'd like to think that if someone is capable of installing the game, using a pc over the net, can handle a full qwerty keyboard that they might just be able to read the player guide before coming into the game.

I'm brain damaged and have really bad short term memory loss, I tend to give people leeway, but I have to say that the proportion of brain damaged people that might be out there, as compared to people who don't bother doing any manual reading before playing a game is not showing realistic results here.

If you want to buy a game and play it offline, then no one cares if you don't bother reading the manual before you play as you are only ruining it for yourself. But coming online into a live intensive game and ruining it for 63 other human beings involved in the gamethat only have so much time in the day for gaming outside of work/college/other arrangements, that is just irresponsible and plain mean towards your fellow gamers. Some people need to think before they make a move like that.

Comment

Originally posted by Fireflye
        I've enjoyed PR ever since the first public release, but I'm really not sure I like where it is going. These two sentences from a DEV really say a lot. First of all, what the **** did you think would happen with the crewman/pilot kits? How on earth was adding more hoops to jump through going to limit flying to experienced people? Is your opinion of new players to the mod really so low that you think they are too stupid to learn how to request a kit within a round or two? The only good thing is that now the driver/pilot and gunner in helos, tanks, and APC's have to be in the same squad, which is a good way to at least encourage the use of VOIP. But are the kits even necessary to be able to code that?

With regards to the part about using ABR... yeah that's a great idea, lets turn PR into another stat whore paradise. For starters, how are you ever going to earn the stats to fly if you can can't ever get in a vehicle in the first place since you aren't "certified"? Or were you thinking more along the lines of just giving players with higher ABR rankings preference for vehicles? That would be a great slap in the face to people like myself who stopped playing vBF2 long ago because of hating the stats, and who haven't done anything with ABR... again because of hating stats. But of course it is a good way to keep the PR inner circle happy and continue the little circle jerk that you all so enjoy.

I wouldn't really care except that you guys do everything you can to attract new players, but then treat them like dirt when they start playing. On the one hand, it's your mod so do what ever you want with it. But at the same time, why do you still bother hyping your releases outside of your own site? It's getting pretty clear that you are building a game for yourselves, your testers, and about 100 hardcore PR fanbois. It's also pretty clear what you think of new players when you have to go out of your way to try and come up with ways to "stop them from ruining the game", so why even bother publicizing your releases outside of your own site? I promise that if you didn't hype your releases so much, you wouldn't have so many of the worthless noobs that you clearly loathe cluttering your servers and ruining your precious game. You want people to hop on long enough to play and tell you how great the mod is, and then gtfo so the inner circle can go back to playing without any interference from the noobs. (For the record the mod is great, its the layers of BS that you keep heaping on top of it that make it harder and harder to just simply play that are getting annoying.)

One more thing, let me save at least one PR attack dog the time of typing out theirr elitist condescending comment that is sure to follow:

Personally I'm against the stats/ABR idea as well. However I have no problem with the kit request system. I see it as way to encourage players to do a specific task (i.e. traport players across the map in chopper; dedicated tank squads, etc). It can limit the smacktards who jump in choppers alone and then bail out over the first flag. Its not about trimming out the 'noobs' from the mod, but trimming out the 'smacktards' instead. Unfortunately 'noob' and 'smacktard' are often used interchangably (sp).

Also, please don't take Katie Wolf to be a representative member of the PR community. She's been banned from the PR main forums for a reason, which can be quite visible in her posts here.

Comment

I'm new to PR mod. I'm a former vanilla player, and was looking for something with more focus on teamwork and realism. Boy did I find what I was looking for. Its awesome to get in a squad and use voip to assualt a flag. At first I didn't like the limited kits and all that, but no I do. Like someone said earlier, it puts you in a certain role, which is both realistic and fun. My friend was providing sniper cover on a flag, while the other three of us carefully moved in took out enemies and capped the flag. I love this mod. The weapons sound and feel great. The one thing I REALLY love though are the maps. OMG, WOW. The first time I played Mao Valley it was amazing. You can hide in grass and not be seen. All the things we talked about before BF2 came out, you can do now. You feel the thrill of hiding from your enemy, something you are unable to do in Vanilla. You hear shots around you, but you have NO IDEA where they are coming from. That never happened in BF2.

Awesome mod, that admittedly takes some getting used to. I'll never go back to Vanilla. I love the mix of urban and forest/jungle/dessert combat. Great job. I guess another nilla player bites the dust. I'm telling all my former clanmates too.

Comment

Originally posted by Fireflye
            I've enjoyed PR ever since the first public release, but I'm really not sure I like where it is going. These two sentences from a DEV really say a lot. First of all, what the **** did you think would happen with the crewman/pilot kits? How on earth was adding more hoops to jump through going to limit flying to experienced people? Is your opinion of new players to the mod really so low that you think they are too stupid to learn how to request a kit within a round or two? The only good thing is that now the driver/pilot and gunner in helos, tanks, and APC's have to be in the same squad, which is a good way to at least encourage the use of VOIP. But are the kits even necessary to be able to code that?

With regards to the part about using ABR... yeah that's a great idea, lets turn PR into another stat whore paradise. For starters, how are you ever going to earn the stats to fly if you can can't ever get in a vehicle in the first place since you aren't "certified"? Or were you thinking more along the lines of just giving players with higher ABR rankings preference for vehicles? That would be a great slap in the face to people like myself who stopped playing vBF2 long ago because of hating the stats, and who haven't done anything with ABR... again because of hating stats. But of course it is a good way to keep the PR inner circle happy and continue the little circle jerk that you all so enjoy.

I wouldn't really care except that you guys do everything you can to attract new players, but then treat them like dirt when they start playing. On the one hand, it's your mod so do what ever you want with it. But at the same time, why do you still bother hyping your releases outside of your own site? It's getting pretty clear that you are building a game for yourselves, your testers, and about 100 hardcore PR fanbois. It's also pretty clear what you think of new players when you have to go out of your way to try and come up with ways to "stop them from ruining the game", so why even bother publicizing your releases outside of your own site? I promise that if you didn't hype your releases so much, you wouldn't have so many of the worthless noobs that you clearly loathe cluttering your servers and ruining your precious game. You want people to hop on long enough to play and tell you how great the mod is, and then gtfo so the inner circle can go back to playing without any interference from the noobs. (For the record the mod is great, its the layers of BS that you keep heaping on top of it that make it harder and harder to just simply play that are getting annoying.)

One more thing, let me save at least one PR attack dog the time of typing out theirr elitist condescending comment that is sure to follow:
            er.. wow .. I am having a hard time discerning rant from feedback...

The crewman and pilot kits are dead simple to obtain .. there are some usability issues with a LOT of the things we are trying in PR becaused frankly the engine wan't really designed to have some of this stuff done to it. We might have some bugs and such, but we'll get those sorted. Stand near a vehicle, request the kit, it will spawn at your feet.

We want specific kits for these positions because we want people to adapt to specific roles during the game. I don't want to see a Spec Ops guy jimp out of an attack helicopter and blow up the artillery, then jump back in and take off. We walso don't want multi crewed vehicles having people jump into one of the spots and drive off with the vehicle.

wrt ABR.. er..... where did we say that we'd make it a stat whore environment? I am a lil jaded on people assuming we're absolute dunces who don't play our own game. What we have thought about doing is making some *basic* "certifications" required to operate vehicles and/or obtain limited kits.

So, for example, to obtain a marksman rifle, you need to have a basic proficiency as a Rifleman. Or to operate an APC you need to have a basic proficiency as a transport driver. That basic proficieicy wouldn't be anything complex... it would simply be there to reward players who have been with the mod for a while not seeing some first time spawner jumping into a tank and drive it off to get blown up by the friendly fire land mines another first time player team mate put at the front of the garage (not realising FF for mines is on in PR).

When we release a new version of the mod, yeah it's nice to see folks try it out. Some minority % of those folks will stick with it.

There's no intentional circle jerk going on.. we do have a player guide that hopefully helps players get oriented... it's not like the wiki is password protected.

I don't think you will *ever* see a Project Reality team representative claim that the mod is one for the masses... but personally I do hate the l337 kiddies who seem to think that because they have 9 hours a day to play a mod they are somehow cooler / tougher / smarter / l3373r than other folks .. but I can't really control that.

Enjoy the mod, ignore the twits; if that's not possible.. hey it was free and there's other great free mod content out there.

Comment

Well...so far I got through a round on Airfield (16) alright, then went on to the...4th of the 4 maps (I forget the title) under 32 players...and it kicks me right outta the game before I even start...dissapointing...

And I always thought the british army used more then just one rifle type for everything...

Comment

Originally posted by Lt_Spike_Tsunami
                And I always thought the british army used more then just one rifle type for everything...
                the SA80 series is the main weapon the brits use. Same goes for the USMC, they mainly use the M16s, thou are slightly convering to M4s now, and the chinese mainly use the QBZ-95. Aswell as EA's made up MEC army uses the G3s mainly in our mod and insurgants use the AK series.

as for the crash, cant really help you there without a error etc...

was it a punkbuster kick for like a MD5 prob, or a full CTD?

Comment

Ah right *bit of an army dunce in the equipment used*

Just shut the game right down, was going in a single player game just to test things out.

Side note...the wavey effect when hit (I presume) really puts me off, is that a thing that's likely to stay or...?

Comment

First of all, what the **** did you think would happen with the crewman/pilot kits? How on earth was adding more hoops to jump through going to limit flying to experienced people? Is your opinion of new players to the mod really so low that you think they are too stupid to learn how to request a kit within a round or two? The only good thing is that now the driver/pilot and gunner in helos, tanks, and APC's have to be in the same squad, which is a good way to at least encourage the use of VOIP. But are the kits even necessary to be able to code that?
                    - They were doing the right thing, this is Project Reality and everything in the game are suppose to be almost like in real life, in other word, a simulator. In real life, you have to be an actually trained certifies pilot in order to fly any choppers, so it not like you can just join the military and expect to control every vehicles they have without having to go through proper training.

Yes, having the person in the same squad as you are to control the gunner seat encourage teamwork, gameplay, and VOIP. Also the point here isn't to make beginner won't be able to fly/drive the vehicles, but just trying to create a realism in the game.

But this is just my oppinion, let's be honest, who the hell would want a noobie fly a chopper anyway? Especially when they're beginner and playing online for the first time and don't even know the basic of the chopper nor how to control it properly? Seriously, I'm glad they add Pilot Kit, so that noobie won't be able to think that they could run and just jump into the chopper and expect to fly away without requesting for a pilot kit like in vBattlefield 2. If you think this is harsh, then shut up and practice flying on LAN instead of wasting teamate vehicles because you always crashed, even though when there's someone else who could have use the vehicle and kill the enemy.

Stat whore? What Stat whore? There's no such thing as a Stat whore in this mod or in the other mod because you can't even view the god damn BFHQ in any mod game, and because all of the stats are from vanilla BF2. I don't see anyone going around trying to knife someone so they can earn a Knife Badge, or be station in TOW to earn a Ground Defense Ribbon.

Players with higher ABR rankings preference for vehicles? Where the hell did anyone even said that? And I seriously don't think that was the DEV intention. The point is to make people request a kits before getting in the vehicles, and that's all they were doing, and I think you got the wrong idea of it because you were probably paranoid when writing the complaints and because you're a lower ranking ABR player.

But if you ask me for my oppinion again, I don't even give a damn if lower ranking ABR player can't fly or drive any vehicles until they're a Sergeant rank. This is to prevent new people from ruining the Team Vehicles and it required them to get more proper trainings before even stepping in multiplayer, so that way, their crash/death in vehicles will be much lower.

Nobody hate new players, they just hated the facts that most noobie (Not All, and I appreciate the one that doesn't) think they're better than everyone elses when they just basically start the game, and decides to run things their way instead of listening to everyone advice. Or just because their gameplay sucks (which I really suggests that people take time to practice alot in Single Player before even stepping online), because they took the sniper kit and they can't hit for **** because they always aim for the middle even though there's a bullet drops and try to act like a Navy Seals Sharpshooter, or because they crashed the vehicles when they don't know how to fly it.

Hell, I never even did started out like a noob. I always read the manual and check the forum to see if there's any thing new or that I missed before playing, and then take the time to practice and develope new skills or tactics in Single Player. Then when I'm playing in multiplayer, I always do my best and try to ranked somewhere in the Top 10 ScoredBoard and nothing below that ,and of course, I mostly did.

Seriously, this isn't counter-strike, its a Military Realism Simulator, so people who hate playing game where 40 shots kill someone and prefer something a little more realistic like in the real world would appreciate it.

Comment

I'm sorry that so many people have to be so rude to you guys about something you gave us for free. Personaly I like it a lot, sure I get some weird things happen like spawn in the sky and some lag but I'm sure you'll work it out. In the meantime the difficulty forces teamwork and I like that.

I love that shots come from nowhere and that sometimes it's me that is dishing that abuse out.

I've thanked you all over the forum but here's another.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Lt_Spike_Tsunami
                        Ah right *bit of an army dunce in the equipment used*

Just shut the game right down, was going in a single player game just to test things out.

Side note...the wavey effect when hit (I presume) really puts me off, is that a thing that's likely to stay or...?
                        the wavey screen means you need to find a medic fast, cos you are almost dead and bleeding like crap

and yes, it will stay, maybe might get replaced by anouther effect if we can get one but thats the best 1 we can use at the mo.

Comment

Right, gotchya, seems that the only map it kicks me off on single player is the one it has so far. Other then that seems alright, will find out the online reliability people appear to be having trouble on later.

I guess it'll just take a bit of getting used to, but other then that this is actually an awesome mod.

Seriously, this isn't counter-strike, its a Military Realism Simulator, so people who hate playing game where 40 shots kill someone and prefer something a little more realistic like in the real world would appreciate it.
                          Amen to that btw, a couple of rifle shots over 40-50 "Minigun" shots on games like CS or UT any day.

Comment

To preface these comments I would like to say I have been playing BF games since bf1942,BFVN and have had all the EX.packs and Boosters for all the BF stuff so far, I have also played many mods for all the games extensivly, that being said I played this mod the first time lastnight for about an hour, here are a few thoughts....

First off great job to the devs, when this mod is all said and done its going to be something special for those that enjoy this type of gaming.

There are some bugs, that are a bit annoying, (esspecially getting locked in the helo) and vehicles not moving when you try and drive.

I think I need to read a bit on how to request kits and how to do some things, then this game will come a open up for me.

The weapons a fun and everything, but it was a challenge at times to spawn and get back into some action because of the distance I had to run on foot.Then getting picked off at 150m-200M from multiple locations keeping us pinned down in our home base was not fun.
                            It seems very difficult to break out (might have just been he map), but it also could be because there seems to be a fairly steep learning curve that will take some time.

I don't know if this will pull me away from 2142, but its the first thing since 2142 came out that has peaked my intrest.

Comment

Working...
                            X