Is it my FX-60? Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it my FX-60? Help!

I had been playing BF2 on an Emachine for over a year and decided to upgrade and build my own gaming system. If you look at the stats below you can see it should run with very smooth gameplay and high framerates.

As I am pretty familiar with BF2 Tweakguides, I think I have done most everything to run smoothly and I am still experiencing lag and stuttering issues to where I feel I'm pushing through a wall. Here in a nutshell is what I've done.

On new hard drive loaded XP Pro and Sp2 and all updates...
    Loaded game w/1.4 then defragged, cleaned system,
    Ran through all TweakGuide optimization.
    virus/malware checks, loaded AMD dual core optimizer, and MS hotfix,
    Downloaded latest Forceware driver for the 7900 GS. I even have put almost all game settings to medium with 1024 x 768 ....

I have tried setting Affinity to 1 cpu while in the game......I am using a Trendnet wireless card at 54 mps, which is getting a high signal strength, and finds many servers at under 100 ping with about 40 at 0 ping...

I am really frustrated as my FX-60 with 2gigs of XMS Corsair Platinum (Memtest86 passed all tests )should rock with the 7900 GS right? HELP! What am I missing? CS runs like butter, of course.....

P.S My new Logitch 1000 DPI LX3 Optical mouse seems to sometimes cause the game to go into a spinning affect looking up or down quickly which has never happened with old system in game.

Re: Is it my FX-60? Help!

Originally posted by Binks527
    I had been playing BF2 on an Emachine for over a year and decided to upgrade and build my own gaming system. If you look at the stats below you can see it should run with very smooth gameplay and high framerates.

As I am pretty familiar with BF2 Tweakguides, I think I have done most everything to run smoothly and I am still experiencing lag and stuttering issues to where I feel I'm pushing through a wall. Here in a nutshell is what I've done.

On new hard drive loaded XP Pro and Sp2 and all updates...
    Loaded game w/1.4 then defragged, cleaned system,
    Ran through all TweakGuide optimization.
    virus/malware checks, loaded AMD dual core optimizer, and MS hotfix,
    Downloaded latest Forceware driver for the 7900 GS. I even have put almost all game settings to medium with 1024 x 768 ....

I have tried setting Affinity to 1 cpu while in the game......I am using a Trendnet wireless card at 54 mps, which is getting a high signal strength, and finds many servers at under 100 ping with about 40 at 0 ping...

I am really frustrated as my FX-60 with 2gigs of XMS Corsair Platinum (Memtest86 passed all tests )should rock with the 7900 GS right? HELP! What am I missing? CS runs like butter, of course.....

P.S My new Logitch 1000 DPI LX3 Optical mouse seems to sometimes cause the game to go into a spinning affect looking up or down quickly which has never happened with old system in game.
    not too to sure but is it just lag or are you getting artifacting too?
    it might be a bad stick of ram check with some one who knows more about ram issues to verify
    im running a almost similar system (see sig) and get great frame rates on all servers not too sure whats wrong unless its ram or psu issue
    also have you tried other games? try some demos if bf2 is all you play

sorry saw that you had past memtest try to play the stock game with out optimizations and see if it runs also clear up any unnecessary backround tasks if you have a constant scanning ant-virus/spyware program turn it off then try

Comment

run prime95 or orthos to see if your cpu is stable (at least an hour)....i recommend orthos as it will test both cores in one shot while u have to mess around with prime to test both cores.
      Theres always the possibility your card is bad. Run 3dmark 06 a couple of times to test your card.
      Something else to consider is that something could be overheating. run speedfan to check your cpu temps - 55c max at full load, no more. if it runs hotter then somethings wrong (noticed the aftermarket cpu cooler).
      Atitool will show your gpu temps ingame though im not sure what the ideal temps for nvidia cards are as i have an ati card which could handle up to 80c.

If after all this everything checks out....i dunno

Comment

get a flat black mouspad and your mouse will stop the spinning. try running a hardline to the router just to make sure it isn't the wireless for any reason.

Comment

Thanks for the input guys, I know the card is good as I ran it for 4 months on my old system, I will try Orthos on the CPU,but Im pretty sure its not the issue as there doesnt seem t be any problems at all with any other applications or games...its just BF2 that is giving me fits. I've read quite a few forums that say the BF2 being a single thread game has issues with dual core, thus the amd optimizer and setting the affinity, and MS hotfix,which didnt work for me. However, I've also seen threads saying their dual core runs like butter....?? I'm really at a loss...there is one thing that I havnt done yet and that is update the BIOs on the Asus A8s-x.....could that cause issues?

Thanks for all your help guys.......

By the way, the driver I have for the 7900 GS is the Xtreme-G 97.92..... Is this the right driver for this card?

Comment

By the way, the driver I have for the 7900 GS is the Xtreme-G 97.92..... Is this the right driver for this card?

By the way, the drive that I'm using for the 7900 GS is the XTreme-G 97.92...is there a better driver for this card?

Comment

renderer.drawfps 1

Type in the console, and tell us your average FPS. If it's over 30fps, then it's network lag.

Comment

Chipset driver?

Comment

Thanks for the help guys....

I updated the Bios and it has cleared up about 60% of the stuttering...so I am still looking for anwsers. This was my 1st build, and I'm still working through the bugs.....I will look into the chipset to update, thanks MonkMachine......

Can someone help me with the Corsair Latency settings in Bios?.. it is 2-3-3-6 @2.75v...the bios doesnt seem to allow 2.75...only 2.6 or 2.7..? will setting it up give higher ram access and help gameplay?

Comment

Originally posted by Binks527
                    Can someone help me with the Corsair Latency settings in Bios?.. it is 2-3-3-6 @2.75v...the bios doesnt seem to allow 2.75...only 2.6 or 2.7..? will setting it up give higher ram access and help gameplay?
                    Binks, be careful messing with Corsair RAM in the Bios. I also have 2GB of Cosair Twin Platinium, and royalled messed up my system by trying to tweak them in the Bios. (This was also with Corsairs guidance on how to set everything up) I even got input from the RAMGUYS and these sticks are a pain to tweak. Forget about even trying to Over Clock them!!! I had them tweaked perfect according to everyones specs, and got major jitters in game play, and several BSOD due to memmory issues.

I eventually went back to factory settings on my RAM and it has been running fine ever since. If you do discover a way to tweak the Corsair Plat Twins please let me know. Mine are 2 years old and were new to the market when I purchased them so Corsair might have modified them a bit since then.

Good luck tweaking your system!!!

Oh I'm running an OC'd FX-55 so we are using the same brand cpu.

Comment

Thanks Kula.....I dont think I'll even mess with the Corsair.....I'm getting about 90-100 on fps on FRPS......but the new system is still not as smooth as my emachine with a 3200+ and 1.5gb ram!!! It's really frustrating.....

Comment

Working...
                      X