Sniper Question. Read...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sniper Question. Read...

Im a pretty good sniper, i have nearly 50hours with the kit and have a pretty decent KDR with it.

Now ive always sucked at killing someone who is running. Where do you shoot if they are running to the side? Straight at their head or just a bit infront? Ive seen vids where people shoot a bit infront of where they are running and vids where the shoot straight at their head.

So which one?

Re: Sniper Question. Read...

Actually
    if he is running horizontally western you shoot at the part of his body closest to the east (left - right) or just past it (usually the elbow) I find this helps a great deal.

I got it from here: REALLY HELPFUL FOR EVERYTHING WATCH!
    Edit: 1 sec finding link
    Edit2: found it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPTwGSrjsgo
    watch that, it helps =D

Comment

woah that video was freaky ^^. it totally contradcits wat i have always thought

Comment

Actually some people argue that the results of that video may simply be due to a ping difference between the players. The problem is we'll never know, I would like to see someone try the same experiment in LAN conditions and see what results from it. To answer the first post, in BF2 if you want to kill someone you have to wait until your opponent has shot you in the face with 200 machine gun rounds at point blank range and missed, then simply dolphin dive at him with a pistol and you'll get the kill

Comment

Well, that video is weird. Kinda makes you think differently about the game. I usually only play sniper when i ping around 30 though.

Comment

Hmm.. That video shows some crazy hit detection.

As for sniping moving targets... I'm really bad at it too. The only advice I can give is to leave your sights stationary and wait for the target to move into them. Of course, that makes it harder for the kill because you can't move the other player where you want him to go... at least not yet (patch 1.42 ).

Comment

I have that same problem, I prolly have around 80 or so hours of Snipe kit on my two accounts combined. I wouldn't call myself a GOOD sniper but I'm constanly improving. As for moving targets, you have to guess as to where they'll be, following them will only make it harder, so you have to be "Stationary" as dave said, but you WILL have to adjust, see how no one likes to run in a straight line. And I actually kill more people when I shoot and think "Damn I missed" and then it says "you killed _____" The hitboxes do lag behind, never lead your target you'll most likely miss, unless your ping is like 145 and theirs is like 51. Just try to shoot them in the ear, that's what I do.

http://www.wookie-clan.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?id=557 Watch that video, and pay attetion when it get's to 45 seconds, that's what I mean by guessing where they'll be (when Big shoots the guy going for gatehouse.) I would also ask the WOoKie's for advice they're all insanely good snipers, they'll teach you about bullet drop too, which is what I personally have the most trouble with. Good luck bro.

Comment

I love shootin guys on the run but the best gun for that is the L96 or SVD

Comment

A tad behind usually does the trick due to BF2's shoddy hit detection.

Comment

to TC, don't play sniper, its a really useless kit

Comment

Yeah on dragon a few dys ago, I took this pot shot to try and finish a guy off as he was about to go behind a hill; he was already behind it but i got him anyway.

Comment

You can't explain stuff like that on a forum. You learn for yourself

WOoKie ftw

Comment

I've done just over 52 hours as sniper and still find it the best kit for my style of play. Shooting moving targets is pretty tricky, I find aiming slightly in front works well. Saying that I tend to just point the soldier out for others to take care of, unless he stops or is running away or towards me, in which case it's a straight head shot for a kill

My stats aren't up to much (owned plenty when I first started) but over the last few weeks I've really got used to the sniper kit and have learn't the art of drop shots. Check out my stats if you like http://www.bf2player.com/index.php?p...count=78695526 but take into account that my accuracy was at 17% and K/D ratio much lower than it is now. This is not down to being a clay whore but just learning how best to use the sniper and the best places to find other snipers.

Saying all that I stood behind a sniper today who was within touching distance, took aim and fired.......the bullet went straight through his head, he got up.........we danced for a bit and he naded me

Comment

you have to lead your targets in order to hit people who are running with practice you can hit anyone who is running

Comment

That whole shooting behind the target video is one big BS story. Nobody ever clarified the circumstances in which the video was made. Ping & lag could have been huge for all we know.

You shoot dead on a target when he is moving towards you or at a slight angle towards your general direction up to distances of 100 meters. When you exceed that distance you will have to compensate when the target is at an angle moving towards your general direction (aim ever so slightly in front). Same story for a target moving away.
                              When a target is moving sideways from your position you will have to compensate somewhat more as compared to the movement at an angle.

Added to that compensation you will have to factor in that aiming at a running target will require aiming even more in front. Your best shot at a moving target will be when he has stopped running. Less compensation means greater chance on a hit, because you will also have the deviation on the rifle to take into account.

All this stuff doesn't really matter that much in the short range battles you have in the city maps. You rarely get the chance to put anything I mentioned to great effect. It does start to matter when you move out into the country and play maps like Wake Island 2007 and my personal favorite Dragon Valley.
                              Although sniping over 300 meters at running targets from an elevated position is slightly more complicated

Watch some of the video's the WOoKie's posted --> HERE<-- and you will get the general idea.

Comment

Working...
                              X