Pentium D & Core2 Duo CPU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pentium D & Core2 Duo CPU

Since they are both LGA 775 When I upgrade my CPU to a core duo from a Pentium D it will work on my mobo right, not matter how old the mobo is?

Just need a quik one answer from some1 who knows.. Thanks!

Re: Pentium D & Core2 Duo CPU

it depends on the mobo, some companies bought out bios updates some just implemented core duo 2 on latest release and current mobos.

I would go to the manufactuers website to check if it supports it and if not has it got a bios update out.

Most recent intel boards will work with core dou 2 and nforce 5 mobos and above will work but check first.

BUT PLEASE POST YOUR PC SPECS NEXT TIME, makes my life easier!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Sir. S.A.S
      BUT PLEASE POST YOUR PC SPECS NEXT TIME, makes my life easier!!!!
      meh..

he only needs to list make/model of his motherboard as he's asking about a CPu upgrade, if he listed his whole specs it wouldnt help you as most people miss out the motherboard ...

Comment

Originally posted by KENNYRH
        Since they are both LGA 775 When I upgrade my CPU to a core duo from a Pentium D it will work on my mobo right, not matter how old the mobo is?

Depends, as said, on your mobo. If it's waaay to old it may not work. And your other parts need to be quite good aswell.

Comment

Whats your chipset?

Comment

Its about a year and a half old. (INTEL DX955xbk)

Comment

you need a new motherboard before you can get a Core 2 Duo Cpu,

http://www.intel.com/design/motherbd/bk/bk_proc.htm < thats the list of supported Cpu's incase you want to switch to a (oldish but still good though) P4

Comment

Re: Pentium D &amp; Core2 Duo CPU

Not even if I BIOS UPDATE?!

Comment

Nope your chipset is outdated I have the same problem.

Comment

I have a few more questions.

My system was built by alienware (I know I know but I got it as a gift) It didnt come with the copy of windows but it did come with a recovery CD. My Question is: When I plug my hard drive into my new mobo will recognize it and just boot up and start working? Or will I have to get a new Copy of XP.

Im asking this cuz im not sure if I will have any problems cuz I have changed my video card and reformated with the new card without any problems, It just saw it off the bat. I would love for this to be answered today cuz my birthday is tomorrow and I need my gift to myself :P.

I als oneed help finsing a mobo thats good. It doesnt have to be a SLI board but of course it has to accept C2D and also DDR2 667 Which I know is hard to find.

something good from 50-100 bucks would be just fine.

Im gonna be buying an 8800 GTS. will an e6300 or a e6400 ottleneck the 8800 so bad?

Comment

Even if you didnt get an XP disc your machine should still come with a CD key, look for a sticker somewhere on the inside or outside. Then borrow some one elses cd and install with your cd key.

I have a few more questions.

My Question is: When I plug my hard drive into my new mobo will recognize it and just boot up and start working? Or will I have to get a new Copy of XP.
                      It "may" work but it is deffenetly not recomended, best to do a full reinstall with your new components.

Comment

Can any of you tell me if this mobo is good for my current setup with a e6400

Buy BIOSTAR 945P-A7A (8.0) LGA 775 Intel 945P ATX Intel Motherboard with fast shipping and top-rated customer service. Once you know, you Newegg!

e6400
                        sata HD
                        1 DVD Drive
                        1 CD Drive
                        1 Floppy Drive ( i dont c are about it though)
                        x1600 512
                        Audigy ZS 2

Comment

Yeah thats good

Comment

Originally posted by Merlin
                            Even if you didnt get an XP disc your machine should still come with a CD key, look for a sticker somewhere on the inside or outside. Then borrow some one elses cd and install with your cd key.

It "may" work but it is deffenetly not recomended, best to do a full reinstall with your new components.
                            Okay I think I do have an XP disk but im not sure. what I have is

The Disk Is titled
                            (Microsoft Windows CP Pro Recovery CD-Rom)

"The software icluded on this Recovery CS-Rom Was pre-installed on your hard drive at the factory and may only be used for backup and recovery of your system"

"For Distribution Only wit new PC."

When I put the disk in in comes up with a menu that asks what do I want to do? Listing things like "Install XP", "Learn more about Setup", "Install optional XP Components"

Sorry for the spelling.

thanks for the help guys.

Comment

Working...
                            X