How many people still play?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many people still play?

I have a bit of spare cash and I'm torn between BF2 and BF2142. I have demos of both and enjoy them both immensely (though I think the setting of BF2 edges slightly ahead of BF2142) and I'm just wondering: does this game still get a lot of people playing? I don't want to end up buying it and struggling to find rooms.

Thanks

Re: How many people still play?

I've been playing almost every day for a year now. I have a copy of 2142 that I bought 2 months ago and only played it a handful of times. It's sitting there gathering dust, while BF2 still gets around 2 hours a day play

Comment

Originally posted by JackMS
      I have a bit of spare cash and I'm torn between BF2 and BF2142. I have demos of both and enjoy them both immensely (though I think the setting of BF2 edges slightly ahead of BF2142) and I'm just wondering: does this game still get a lot of people playing? I don't want to end up buying it and struggling to find rooms.

Thanks
      Only a month ago according to the figures there was still far more people playing BF2 than BF2142 im no sure what the figures are now but i doubt theyve changed that much.

Comment

simple answer: YES! BF2 FTW!!!

Comment

2142 is an expansion(mod) in my eyes, that's why its not as popular.

Comment

Originally posted by Snoop
            I've been playing almost every day for a year now. I have a copy of 2142 that I bought 2 months ago and only played it a handful of times. It's sitting there gathering dust, while BF2 still gets around 2 hours a day play
            Exactly the same here. BF2 (for me at least) is so much more interesting and fun to play.

Comment

I play everday. I play instead of watching TV.

Ugh... yet another CSI spinoff? ::vomits::

Comment

Alot of people still play BF2.
                Most of the other people either when to 2142 or they when to the mod commituy and started to play the big mods, like POE or PR

Comment

Real-time server and player stats:
                  http://www.serverspy.net/site/stats/
                  At this time (4-Feb @10:30 Central US) there are quite a few more BF2 players than 2142 players.

Comment

this site shows a list games with their current number of players and servers online

Comment

please say no to 3142

Comment

BF2 is fun, although it doesnt seem to have the fun, stay and play forever type fun factor as Desert Combat Had........

Comment

Originally posted by {RR}SinisterCaesarSalad
                          Real-time server and player stats:
                          http://www.serverspy.net/site/stats/
                          At this time (4-Feb @10:30 Central US) there are quite a few more BF2 players than 2142 players.
                          Good to see Valve is still cornering the market on game players! EA could learn a lot from that company for future games.

Comment

Bf2 > 2142.

BF2 also has way more servers to play on.

Comment

Played some 2142 last night as a diversion.

I have to say it still feels like a stripped down version of BF2.

If you consider BF2 then take away the things that make it interesting (for me) to play, then you've got 2142. Take away key spawn points that are strategically advantageous to possess for long periods of a round. Take away interesting terrain that needs to be traversed. Take away high ground over spawn points that can be pain for apposing sides to counter. Take away crafty and hidden back roads, underground culverts with cover , and alternate routes that terrain and vegetation hide.

Take those things away and you've got 2142.

It's as if the game is played for the sake of playing BF2's action, yet nothing else. If you like action then it's your game, but if you like something with a little more strategy and logistics, then BF2 is your game.

Personally for me I prefer to kill half as many people and stay alive twice as long. Rather then kill twice as many people but spend twice as much time watching the spawn timer count down.

Larger 2142 maps are very mechanized too. There's no cover or terrain to gain an advantage on a vehicle.

Smaller maps are simply the same battles over the same choke points over and over again.

If your into that sort of line em up and shoot em ad nauseam then get 2142. If you want something that takes more to play then becomming proficient at maximizing your killing skills then get BF2.

Funny thing was I played 2142 last night after some air raping that got me frustrated with BF2. While 2142 has eliminated a lot of that, I found myself wanting a purpose for playing. At least in BF2 if the other team has air superiority you can concentrate your efforts on taking the bases that spawn helios and jets. 2142 just felt like one headlong rush from one silo or spawn to the next. None more important then the next one your trying to take, none more easily defended then any other. Just a merry-go-round of take one lose one. A guaranteed serendipitous end to the round no matter how hard you tried. Almost a contrived war of attrition.

There's nothing like a good close round, but a good skunking that is over and done with quickly too is something to shoot for, this seems to be taken out of 2142 for the most part. If it is a skunking like titan shield removal, its dragged on for ever and ever.

Comment

Working...
                              X