Upgrading my rig, need help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrading my rig, need help

Right now its fairly pathetic... Stock everything but my video card which is a geforce 5200mx pci and 768 ram instead of 512 like my comp came with.

IF this is possible please make a few suggestions and try to stay under 500 dollars. I may need a new motherboard because I cant find an agp slot, if someone knows for sure if I do or dont have one that would be appreciated. Would I have to get a new version of windows as well? I think ive read somewhere that dell has xp built into the board or something along those lines. I also need a vid card that will run smoothly during online play. I am also planning on upgrading to 1.5 gig ram and would I need a new processor and power supply for all this? Heres what 3d mark says about my comp:

Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 2.53GHz
    NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200
    SoundMAX Digital Audio
    Dell corp. motherboard

UPDATE:

Someone pointed me to this website http://www.tomshardware.com/2005/10/14/the_/page3.html

For those of you who dont wanna go through all the screens.

ASRock 939Dual-SATA2 motherboard
    AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Processor
    NVIDIA GeForce 6600 AGP
    dual channel DDR400 1 gig ram
    Western Digital Caviar SE WD800JD 80GB
    Seasonic S12-330 Power Suppy

My question is qould I need to get that hard drive or would the one I currently have work with those components?

How would that run BF2? It would be almost a complete revamp of my system which is obviously no good for gaming.

Re: Upgrading my rig, need help

i built mine for approx. $450 all parts from www.newegg.com and runs bf2 all high and vista

it might look like u need a brand new comp

it depends on how mch u know about computers if u should build a new one or not. it is soooo much cheaper to build it yourself, but dangerous if u have never done it b4. more later

Comment

I know how to put them togather, but Im a bit slow when it comes to hardware. My main question is the motherboard.. can anyone suggest a decent one that has agp/pci express slots and will I have to buy a new version of Windows XP or Vista to use it?

Comment

what os do u have now?

the os shouldnt have to change ever

Comment

i think the name of ur mobo is a bit vague ... try downloading CPUZ and it will give u more info about ur mobo

but just for a general picture, how old is ur computer?

Comment

ive built many comps for friends and new egg will be the place to go. first ask yourself if you want AGP or PCI-EXPRESS. if you want to build a new comp then for sure get pci-express graffics card. that mean a new mobo. you can get a decent mobo for 80-100 bucks, videocard for 150, now what kind of hard drive do you have? is it an ATA or SATA ? ( are the cables fat or are they thin?) the big question will be ,what kind of processor do want to go with? i suggest a core2 duo, games are gonna start getting more advanced to use the double core processors and the single cores wont work in the near future. this is what ive been reading anyway. so you can get a core2 duo 1.83 ghz for 180 bucks. seems like a low speed but it works very well. your most important decission is your motherboard. this will dictate very purchase you make. think about it and i'll find you a go mobo to start with. good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Torlen
              Right now its fairly pathetic... Stock everything but my video card which is a geforce 5200mx pci and 768 ram instead of 512 like my comp came with.

IF this is possible please make a few suggestions and try to stay under 500 dollars. I may need a new motherboard because I cant find an agp slot, if someone knows for sure if I do or dont have one that would be appreciated. Would I have to get a new version of windows as well? I think ive read somewhere that dell has xp built into the board or something along those lines. I also need a vid card that will run smoothly during online play. I am also planning on upgrading to 1.5 gig ram and would I need a new processor and power supply for all this? Heres what 3d mark says about my comp:

Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 2.53GHz
              NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200
              SoundMAX Digital Audio
              Dell corp. motherboard
              1st of all try and stay clear from Celeron well that was my advice from leading edge if you are building your pc for gameing.2nd (itsbits computers) on ebay are selling a upgrade kit for around $350 which includes (Gigabyte
              8VM800M Motherboard with apg slot,3.06 Intel CPU + 512MB Ram)Very well priced for what you get and with a graphics card you could try a Geforce 6200 0r 6800 256mb for around $150.My mate has just brought the same setup and have not come across any game that he cant play.Just use your harddrive.Hope this helps seeing that you only have $500 to spend but dont forget to up your ram to at least 1.5g if you want to play BF2 as this game can chew it up.All the best with your new project.Cheers....PS my mates useing the Geforce 6200-256mb card which runs the game ok on low settings.

Comment

I would suggest to get:

Mobo- Gigabyte P965 mobo

CPU- Core 2 duo E6300

RAM- 1gb DDR2

Video Card- 7600GT

Comment

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813135026 motherboard? just an example but this is a good one for the money. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814130056 this is a good video card with 256memory interface. and has 20 pipeline pixels. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820134384 this is the cheapest 2gig combo i found that the mobo i showed you will take (667) you will need a 500- 600 volt power supply and for now you can use your old harddrives.

your memory has to be even so you can use ''dual channel'' 1 gig or 2gigs but not 1.5 gigs.

Comment

Get a new computer dude your Deceleron chip is a lame duck

Comment

Working...
                    X