The Ol' Battlefield 2 Chestnut....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Ol' Battlefield 2 Chestnut....

Ok... another newbie has the classic BF2 multiplayer problem.

That newbie being me......and the classic problem being "You have a problem with your connection" every 30 damn seconds.

Now, I've disabled EAX, disabled VOIP, switched between DSL and T1 options, even switched audio rendering from Hardware to Software.

Still NOTHING.

My computer and connection should be more than enough to handle this stupid glitch. I have an 8Mb Wireless Broadband connection and a Linksys Wireless-G PCI Adapter Network card. My router is a Netgear DG834GT.

Computer stats?

CPU: Intel Viiv Pentium D 945 Dual Core 3.4GHz
    Memory: x2 512MB 533MHz DDR2
    Graphics: ATI Radeon X1300 Series
    Audio: Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy Xi-Fi

Now ok the graphics card isn't the greatest ever but it's still meaty enough for this game. I mean it runs Medieval II on full level graphics.

So what's next? What am I missing or more importantly what can I do to make this damn thing go away for good.

Someone must know. I've googled and read lots of forum answers but it's either jargon or cop-out answers.

If any forum can help me it's this one.

Thanks guys.

BloodSnake (Bazerk83)

Re: The Ol' Battlefield 2 Chestnut....

A couple of suggestions:

manually update your PB files

reinstall game and use full 1.41 patch

Comment

Thanks for the reply Charger,

I actually started d/l'ing the pbsetup.exe for manual update before posting this because that was my next idea.

i've patched the game with the full 1.41 patch. You still recommend a fresh install and re-patching?

Comment

Originally posted by BloodSnake
        i've patched the game with the full 1.41 patch. You still recommend a fresh install and re-patching?
        If all else fails. It was a solution for the disconnection problem a few patches back. But if it is a new install it shouldn't be required.

Are you connecting to servers that have a low ping? If over 250 you are probably being disconnected for that. Try to find local servers with a ping under 100

Comment

Hmm, Wireless. Theres your problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris_Redfield
            Hmm, Wireless. Theres your problem.
            Can wireless do that? Does it spike up and down enough to diconnect you?
            I don't know a lot about wirless gaming, can it get interference?

Comment

i have wireless, and i dont have any problems....

Comment

Im not getting disconnected. Thats happened to me all of once and that was probably me going into a high ping server and not looking.

I just get the "you are having problems with your connection" error message every other minute. It freezes for a a fraction of a second then comes back and my bearings of where i am are screwed for a second or two, it just seriously messes with gameplay and i want it gone.

Comment

try running straight Ethernet hookup to your router to see if its a wireless problem.
                  "Crunch's First Officer"
                  twitter: @signaprime

Comment

I have a friend that had the same problem. He stopped using the Wireless and it fixed the problem. There may be something interfering with the signal. Try changing the channel on the router. also make sure there are not any electronics near the antenna or your antenna.

Comment

Hmmmm. I really don't think my wireles is the issue. Everything else regarding my wireless is fine. But I'll try those as a last resort.

I'm really hoping the issue can be resolved through a software correction of some kind.

I just tried the game again having updated PB. Still no change.

Is it time to uninstall, reinstall apply the patch AGAIN and then update Pb again. This is so frustrating.

Comment

You said it yourself...you are having difficulties with your connection. I am certain that your wireless connection is to blame. Packets get lost in wireless connections, and it will spike. I have seen this many times

Comment

what kind of internet do you have? dsl, cable, or are you on a huge network like a college dorm for example?
                          you might want to do a bandwidth test or something on some sites, just google bandwidth test... if you arent getting at least 1-2 mb/sec, that might be your problem

my brother is at college now and his internet fluctuates allot. Some days he will have a ping of six in bf2 servers, other days it will shoot up to 5 or 6 hundred and he will loose his connection.

Comment

Originally posted by CHARGER_76
                            Can wireless do that? Does it spike up and down enough to diconnect you?
                            I don't know a lot about wirless gaming, can it get interference?
                            i heard that wirless give you 24/7 crap same way comcast does but i dont know im not gonna take the risk and ever use wireless anyway.

Comment

its broadband. so dsl im assuming.

Comment

Working...
                              X