Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water Probs + Crashing

Hey

I'm having some new found issues that are really getting on my nerves, and restraining me from playing. First and most important, I cannot play BF2 for more than 10-15 minutes. After this time, the game just freezes, screen turns black, then blue. I have to turn off the computer to get it back to desktop. I've not changed any settings in the game or anything like that. I also did a clean re-install of everything today. Same issue. This occurs consistently, every 10-15 minutes. I really have no idea what's going on, it was working about 3 days ago(I didn't play in those 3 days).

In addition, I have another problem with water in the game. It turns greyish with lines and weird crap. Again, this did not occur 3 days ago either. Heres some pics of it:

Re: Water Probs + Crashing

card overheating?

try deleting ur shaders / reapplying ur video settings and then reoptimizing the shaders

Comment

Conscript Virus is probably correct. Also try blowing out any dust in your system and make sure all fans are spinning.
      Good luck

Comment

My money is on the power supply dying (hey, gotta have some kind of 2nd opinion ). If it is, the issue will get worse and worse till it just doesn't run at all. Easy fix is to replace the power supply.

If it is ConscriptVirus's issue, then you need to deal with it asap as overheat leads to burn out and vid cards are pricey.

Comment

Hey thanks for your responses.

@ConscriptVirus-I highly doubt the card is overheating, I've been running all settings high with no problems for months. Only now it's occuring. I tried re-optimizing(I guess set all settings low, load map, set all high, then re-load a map?). This didn't help, I still have the same problem

@roucious- I actually did that about a week ago. There was large amount of buildup on the intake side of my video card fan, and on a lot of other fans. Even with all that buildup, the game ran fine but had to go to super-turbo fan speed(lol) a few times. I knew something was wrong at that point. Yeah, so I think the cleanliness of my box is pretty good, but yeah that would def contribute to overheating.

@Simon-I don't quite understand how it can be the power supply, if I can keep the computer on all day still and it never crashes? How can I check if this is really the problem, like using a multimeter or something? Funny thing is though, I tried playing all settings low, and i played for a good 2 hours and it was fine. Also tried medium. After 20 minutes it crashed, black screen, then blue. Also tried high again, same thing. I have an X850XT video card if that helps any.

edit- oh and on medium settings the water is still doing that funky thing, but on low it does not.
          Thanks

Comment

I'm not skilled in the electrical arts unfortunately so I can't tell you. What I can relate to you is my experiences with them. A 500 watt powersupply doesn't have to provide 500 watts when it is dying. it can slowly spiral downhill and not just break. Your computer never takes the same amount of power when it is running. What applications take the most power? Video, drive and communications intensive ones. The higher your settings would take more power. If the power wasn't there or the supply could handle the strain for a bit then finally drops below the acceptable threshold, you'd crash.

When wierd gremlin crap starts happening on my system and I suspect the PSU, I go buy a new one and swap it. If my error persists, I swap them back and return it.

In my life, through my own and family, work and friends, I've bought about 10 supplies. I've returned one.

Comment

u didnt reoptimize correctly

go to:
              C:\Documents and Settings\Your Name\My Documents\Battlefield 2\mods\bf2\cache

and in that cache folder u should see a folder with a name like "{D7B71E3E-4305-11CF-...." delete that folder, and set the settings u want and hten join a server

and after a few months, dust can collect on ur card which can cause a tiny bit of overheating depending on how hot ur card usually gets.

Comment

@Simon- Oh ok i see now. You know, I'm almost kind of thinking it is the power supply, maybe I should do what you suggested! Though I'll wait for my dad to get home from vacation, he knows a lot about this kind of stuff. Thanks!

@Conscript- OK cool I did that, it re-optimized on all high settings but crashed even faster than usual! The water was also messed up still. I will try blowing out my case again, but I think its pretty clean for the most part

edit- My computer does run pretty hot, I mean if you put your hand on the top of the box, sometimes it feels "too hot". It's mostly where the power supply is, and that gets hot actually pretty fast, if I start up the computer cold. Is this an indicator of a shot PS?

Comment

Working...
                X