new x800 pro doesn't work with bf2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new x800 pro doesn't work with bf2

just got a radeon x800 pro and now bf2 wont initialize. im running windows vista (32 bit), have a gig of ram, 2.4 gherz processor and currently have my radeon 9600 in the slot. YES i connected the power to the x800 and i have tried uninstalling and reinstalling bf2 with the new card in and with the old card in. I have tried uninstalling all ati catalyst software with old card in then putting new card in and installing driver. I have tried customizing bf2 to run on xp service pack 2 settings with the new card, but bf2 still wont initialize, i keep getting battlefield 2, ea games, black screen, then back to desktop, any ideas?

Re: new x800 pro doesn't work with bf2

I dont understand why you would buy that old card. How much did you pay for that card?

Comment

Originally posted by cloaker
      I dont understand why you would buy that old card. How much did you pay for that card?
      because its on the list of supported cards, and i need an AGP card

Comment

lt DOES NOT have to be on the list to work well. That list was made 1 1/2 years ago, there are tons of newer and better cards out now.

Is there any way that you can return that card so we can suggest better ones.

Comment

yes i can return it, but it has to be AGP and it has to work with a dell 8250 (with stock motherboard), id prefer to get it from a physical store.

Comment

Well your are gonna be ripped off at any retail store. I would suggest to buy online.

Comment

im sure that newegg has some x1900 pros that are agp am i right about that

Comment

the x800 series works well with bf2 and has somewhat lower psu requirements compared to some of the similar nvidia cards. I have a x800xt-pe and it works fine. I agree though, the newer agp cards will run at better frame rates.
                "Crunch's First Officer"
                twitter: @signaprime

Comment

my m8s who had 800pro had the bf2 working fine.

moving from 9600 to x800 is stupid imo. Get x1k series next time.

Comment

Originally posted by AlexIsUber
                    my m8s who had 800pro had the bf2 working fine.

moving from 9600 to x800 is stupid imo. Get x1k series next time.
                    Incorrect. That is a decent enough upgrade, provided OP didn't bust the bank on the new card.

"x1k series" on the other hand, is rather well informed. Can you count the threads of the people who've "upgraded" to a x1300 or x1600 and are crying about why their "500" unit upgrades (x1300-x800=x500) just don't seem to go go go faster?

The OP could've done a little better online, if he had a better PSU, and if he'd chosen to. x800pro isn't a bad option if you insist on buying local (unless you're spending +$150 buckaroos).

Take a breath before you toss out words like stupid in ignorance.

OP: Is there an agp driver upgrade for your MOBO?

Have you tried reinstalling the latest version of directx?

Is your PSU adequate for an x800pro?

Do other games work with the x800pro plugged in, or is it a bf2 specific fault?

Comment

[quote=megawhompertoo]Incorrect. That is a decent enough upgrade, provided OP didn't bust the bank on the new card.

"x1k series" on the other hand, is rather well informed. Can you count the threads of the people who've "upgraded" to a x1300 or x1600 and are crying about why their "500" unit upgrades (x1300-x800=x500) just don't seem to go go go faster?

The OP could've done a little better online, if he had a better PSU, and if he'd chosen to. x800pro isn't a bad option if you insist on buying local (unless you're spending +$150 buckaroos).

OP: Is there an agp driver upgrade for your MOBO? i had the most up to date drivers, i am 100% positive.

Have you tried reinstalling the latest version of directx? trying it now, will post again when done.

Is your PSU adequate for an x800pro? stock dell 8250 psu, and my computer savvy friend says it is adequate

Do other games work with the x800pro plugged in, or is it a bf2 specific fault?i can see my desktop and the os works so that means the card works at least for the most part (except bf2 damnit)[/quote]
                      comments in bold

Comment

[QUOTE=hebrewhammer14]
                        Originally posted by megawhompertoo
                        Incorrect. That is a decent enough upgrade, provided OP didn't bust the bank on the new card.

OP: Is there an agp driver upgrade for your MOBO? i had the most up to date drivers, i am 100% positive.

Have you tried reinstalling the latest version of directx? trying it now, will post again when done.

Is your PSU adequate for an x800pro? stock dell 8250 psu, and my computer savvy friend says it is adequate

Do other games work with the x800pro plugged in, or is it a bf2 specific fault?i can see my desktop and the os works so that means the card works at least for the most part (except bf2 damnit)[/quote]
                        comments in bold
                        ok first check to see if you plugged in the 6 pin power cable to the card if you don't have one then use a molex

Also i wold deffinetly try some other games if bf2 is all you have try some demos to see if they work

If the above doesnt work then you might have a faulty card if this is the case just go back to the store and ask for a replacement

EDIT!

I didnt see you had vista i believe ATI/AMD just released some new catalyts drivers for vista so you should check those out

Comment

Key in:

Start-->Run-->dxdiag-->"enter"

go to the display tab and click test directdraw and test direct3d.

Does the tests complete w/out errors?

Comment

[quote=ZDOOBY]
                            Originally posted by hebrewhammer14

ok first check to see if you plugged in the 6 pin power cable to the card if you don't have one then use a molex (it has 4 pins but yes it was in)

Also i wold deffinetly try some other games if bf2 is all you have try some demos to see if they work

If the above doesnt work then you might have a faulty card if this is the case just go back to the store and ask for a replacement

EDIT!

I didnt see you had vista i believe ATI/AMD just released some new catalyts drivers for vista so you should check those out already tried that
                            comments in bold

Originally posted by megawhompertoo
                            Key in:

Start-->Run-->dxdiag-->"enter"

go to the display tab and click test directdraw and test direct3d.

Does the tests complete w/out errors?
                            Card name: RADEON X800 PRO/GTO
                            DxDiag Notes
                            ------------
                            Display Tab 1: No problems found.
                            Sound Tab 1: No problems found.
                            Input Tab: No problems found.
                            and ooh, ur on ur 999 th post, use 1000 for something kickass
                            also, returning the x800 and am gonna wait for a card thats vista certified

Comment

A card that is vista certified means absolutely nothing. The X800 pro will work perfectly in vista. The only reason that it doesnt have a sticker on it is because it is an older card, thats all.

Comment

Working...
                              X