Lomac

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lomac

I'm looking into purchasing LOMAC (Lock On: Modern Air Combat).

Problem is, no shops in town seem to have it in stock. I know that I want to purchase the 'Gold' edition, which comes with the 'Flaming Cliffs' expansion.

I've found that I could purchase it online here.

As well, I have heard that the developer offers it for digital sale on their webpage, but once you have downloaded it, you only have a limited amount of keys for which you can use to reinstall.

Could anybody point me in the direction of the best place for a Canadian like myself to get my hands on LOMAC? Whether that be via digital download, or ordering it and having it shipped to me.

Remember, I also want the 'Flaming Cliffs' expansion.

Thanks .

(I would ask EAGLE_18, but he's not on xfire )

Re: Lomac

ebay. for lomac. And you can purchase Lomac (FC) online. Its not expensive. Its a reliable site.

only 14 bucks US.

then downbelow is a patch that you will need to play the sim online, and IF you are interested in joining a bunch of guys in a VFW (virtual fighter wing) go to http://www.virtual9thaf.com/ we specialize in A-10's and F-15's. We are fairly new though. But during the weekends the dogs come out of the cage =).

Hope this helped

Comment

Thanks for the response, Lt.Drop .

Would it be worth it to order both LOMAC and FC directly from the developer?

Comment

just be aware that LOMAC fully patched comes with a complementary copy of starforce
        You'd be better off sourcing Falcon 4.0 Allied Force - better game and far more fidelity to realism

Comment

Originally posted by $kelet0r
          just be aware that LOMAC fully patched comes with a complementary copy of starforce
          You'd be better off sourcing Falcon 4.0 Allied Force - better game and far more fidelity to realism

Better game...not really. Falcon4/AF is not a game anyone can pick up and excpect to fly after the installation. Sure you can start off at the Ramp, Taxiway, or the Rwy. But (and I have no clue if you are new to sims Garabaldi, so if you are just dont listen to this) than I think you should go with LOMAC. Graphics are a huge plus. Re-fueling is a whole lot better, the terrain is nasty of F4/AF but on lomac atleast it looks like its the ground. You can do carrier ops in lomac (same with F4/AF) the tutorials actually teach you something (instead of just selecting a training excersise and not getting any help at all). But Falcon does have some cool features. You can basically fly any plane you want, people have made skins. But you still see the F-16 Cockpit. There are 3-5 diffrent F-16 varients in the game also. Falcon is the most realistic flight sim out there, but not until Fighter Ops Comes out.

Lomac one of the best military sims out there. Sure it only has two flyable US planes but it was made by Russians, what would you expect?. There are plenty of upgrades for Lomac, including better models and new paints and sweet mission. Dont get me wrong though F4/AF has all of that too.

So basically its up to you Garabaldi, If you want to go with F4/AF go right ahead, its not a bad sim, you just got to do your research. I have it myself. I hope I am not being biased..=)

as for your question. I found a link to the Main Game, It has some links to it but I am not sure if anyof them are downloadable.

Just for reference: I really think I should not do this but, cause I will get flammed...=(

Thumbnails below.

F4/AF:

LOMAC:

Comment

Thanks again, Lt.Drop .

I am new to flight sims. I used to play them quite often when I was much, much younger with my dad, who really enjoyed them. I haven't touched one in years, though.

I've heard Falcon 4.0 has a 700 page manual. It is probably the better simulator, but something which you would really have to dedicate yourself to. I have heard that LOMAC is still very realistic and detailed, but not as much so as Falcon 4.0. I also like the fact that LOMAC has a wider variety of aircraft.

Thanks again.

Also, $kelet0r, I am aware LOMAC comes with Starforce. I have a few games with Starforce and have never had a problem.

Comment

Glad I could help. Any other questions just let me know.

Comment

Nicked of a previous post of mine, but suits the thread at the moment. Also I forgot to mention this is the old post, but keep in mind that both sims interfaces are pretty bad and convoluted.

Easy to learn modern combat flight sim is a paradox.

If it is a true sim, there is no way it could pick up and play without proper familiarization of the aircraft, radar mechanics, and weapons deployment. And that's just to fly it, actual combat is a whole other world of getting shot down over and over before you learn what works and what doesn't.

Now that the scary info is out of the way, there are basically two modern combat sims at the moment. Falcon 4.0 AF, and Lock On Gold.

Falcon 4.0 is the hardcore of the hardcore. If you have the time and patience to literally study on flying an F-16C, then go for it. Falcon 4.0 is hands down the best and most realistic simulation ever. However because of the hardcore nature it is not something easily recommendable to first time flyers.

I actually have the ooooold binder version of the game, which means it is not AF and actually out of date. However I studied that massive 700-something page manual (if you can even call it that, more like textbook) more than I did my schoolwork, and I loved every minute of it. Learning F4 makes you feel like a real fighter pilot, so much to the point that you feel confident in being able to just hop into a real F-16, start it up, and shoot down some Russians (I'm in classic Cold War mode here, no offence to any Russians on these boards.)

Lock On Gold is the second best sim on the market, but it is much more accesible. It has 8 distinct aircraft to fly, each with its own detailed flight model, radar, and cockpit. The differences between Western and Eastern aircraft is something to really behold, and the more time you spend in the cockpits of the Su-27 and F-15 the more you appreciate just how wildly different they are.

To be honest I was actually amazed how easy Lock On was to pick up, and I find the avionics and radar and all around handling to be extremely easy to grasp. However I came from F4, so take what I just said with a grain of salt. But remember, this game simulates 8 separate and completely different aircraft with an impressive amount of accuracy. So if you focus all your energy into just one single aircraft you are missing the point. The more I played the game the more I came to appreciate the advantages and disadvantages of each aircraft. The game has a suprising amount of depth, you just have to stick with it.

Quick Summary for the lazy:

Falcon 4.0 AF

+ Hardest of the hardcore. If you're totally serious, get this.
                + The most intensive and realistic sim on the market.
                - Level of hardcore is daunting to new flyers, takes real dedication to learn and play
                - Graphics are fairly outdated

Lock On Gold

+ More accessible than F4
                + Impressive variety and depth in the different flyable aircraft
                + Great Graphics
                - Terrible stock sound quality, you will want a soundpack to really enjoy this game

Remember that accessible is very, very relative in meaning. Saying something is more accessible than Falcon 4.0 is like saying there are things smaller than galaxies. Both do require a good amount of time and effort to be put into, but are very rewarding when you get a grip on the mechanics.

Alternatively, if you own an Xbox 360 and want to try a lite sim. Pick up Over G Fighters. It's a vastly underrated title that is as realistic as you would want to get on a console. It would actually serve a very good introduction to dogfight mechanics and missile dodging. Not to mention its a blast to play.

Comment

I agree with Why. That is a more in-depth review than mine. Good Stuff.

Comment

one of the major points that no one mentioned yet is the actual gameplay. Falcon 4 is probably the only game in the world with a fully dynamic campaign actually scratch that - two campaigns. You are actually fighting a war in Korea when you play whereas LOMAC is simply a load of random missions. That is a BIG selling point for me, that you are actually a fighter pilot and part of this theatre war - the immersion is impressive.

Comment

And now there are 3 theaters for F4/AF, just an update. Some group of people have created an Operation Desert Storm Theater, so Skelet0r if you want it check it out.

frugalsworld.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, frugalsworld.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

Comment

My clan mate just informed me that he got his from EB games around 6 months ago, and that they had to have it sent to them from another store. He lives in Vancouver.

Comment

Originally posted by Lt.Drop
                          And now there are 3 theaters for F4/AF, just an update. Some group of people have created an Operation Desert Storm Theater, so Skelet0r if you want it check it out.

http://forums.frugalsworld.com/vbb/s...d.php?t=114487
                          AMAZING thanks man

Comment

Lock On Gold comes with the Flaming Cliffs expansion, correct?

Just want to double check before I place my order .

Comment

correct

Comment

Working...
                              X