Ways you deal with lag in game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ways you deal with lag in game

I've been searching on this forever and it seems like there are some good tips out there on disabling certain processes and making sure your hardware or PC is up to spec in order to acheive smooth game play. Each player seems to have a little different issue when playing online, but the most common issue I've seen/heard in game is how bad the studdering or lag is. Pilots not being able to control flight, gunners missing targets or not even trying... they all seem to apologize in advance before taking flight. What steps do you take to ensure smooth game play? What's your routine maintainance?

SIMON recommended this program to clean up cache files and it really helped with account connection speed and map loading...
    http://games.softpedia.com/get/Tools...-Cleaner.shtml

Re: Ways you deal with lag in game

Call my ISP and curse them out.

Comment

I pulled that card already... upgraded to the premium service (cable connection) same performance. Leads me to believe it's the server side...but nobody can say for sure... or can they?

Comment

I do nothing really and only have a problem when multiple connections to the server are happening, ie. server crashes and or a bunch of peeps just happen to join. Multiple connections will usually bog a server temporarily like at the start of a map, quicker loaders will see the stutter/lag. No one should be running ANY background programs such as messengers/email/antivirus. I have 22-23 processes at one time. Graphics(nvidia BFG 6600 GT OC and sound(SBLive) taskbar icons plus my Saitek X45 software(has to run for programming). I run a Sempron 3000(1.8Ghz)@2300 and have silky smooth play @1024 4XAA. Also, I have CDN Bell sympatico which has excellent connection and pings. I found cable here to have a higher throughput(never get that high tho) but much worse in the ping department.

Comment

I set all my video setting to low. remember there are 2 types of lag you can have a ping of 10 and still get lag from your graphics card

Comment

Theres another thing, you push the ~ button and type in "pb_sleep500" w/o the ". This make's it so pb only scan you computer for hax every 500 secs instead of every 10. but I forget how to make it stick, it's something like "write_cfg", can't rember if you know post it.

Comment

be a commander :P....thats what i do if it lags hard.

Comment

Originally posted by mr.morey
                Theres another thing, you push the ~ button and type in "pb_sleep500" w/o the ". This make's it so pb only scan you computer for hax every 500 secs instead of every 10. but I forget how to make it stick, it's something like "write_cfg", can't rember if you know post it.
                Yeah.

pb_sleep 500

then

pb_writecfg

Comment

I usually run this program called "Cleanup!" it helps alot and then I just log off and log back on from my computer (no restart) it just deletes history,temp. internet files, recycling bin, and cache. Also I recconnect my modem and yea

But I have also noticed alot of people asking how to lesen lag, yet in the BF2 booklet it gives some advice in the back on how to do so (Proccesses) and such and i think another one but yea

Comment

If you live in a ****ty place with high latencies, no amount of customizing or tweaking will give you good pings. I'm probably one of the best examples... :laugh:

Comment

Originally posted by Sloi
                      If you live in a ****ty place with high latencies, no amount of customizing or tweaking will give you good pings. I'm probably one of the best examples... :laugh:
                      Sloi where did u move? I noticed a while ago posts where you said that you are going to move somewhere and open PC store over there, but I didn't see any post where your new location is mentioned.

Comment

Escape button
                        Disconnect
                        Find a less crappy server/Wait till my connection calms down

Comment

Lag or stuttering?

I don't get Lag much...when I do I usually wait it out in a corner. High pings, however (which I get more often than "lag"), make me miss my shots, so I do one of two things:

A. Try to go the round anyway, trying not to smash my monitor in frustration

B. Find a different server

But since B is more frustrating than A, I usually go with A.

The thing I suffer most from is stuttering, which I get the most on maps with alot of vegitation/close quarters activity. Which is why I play nothing but Kark I/O on servers with low caps. Once I uprgrade RAM I'll play more airmaps and 64 player gut-fests, but until then, nothing but Kark Low Cap I/O.

Comment

stop pressing any buttons or moving the mouse and wait till it goes away, thats all you can do

Comment

Originally posted by ACE_FIN1972
                              Sloi where did u move? I noticed a while ago posts where you said that you are going to move somewhere and open PC store over there, but I didn't see any post where your new location is mentioned.
                              Iqaluit. I'm there now... damn is it ever cold. Thank heavens I don't have to go outdoors much: the store is directly linked to my house... very convenient.

Comment

Working...
                              X