Wake Island = :(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wake Island = :(

Ok, I usually dont play Wake (I get horrible performance on it for some reason), but an old buddy wanted to play, so I just joined him. I get Chinese, load up with my support kit and PKM, and spawn at the airfield. I meet a face full of TV Guided Missile. "That was lame" I said to myself, and decided to spawn at a northern flag. There is no WAY 2 flags are under attack at the same time in 8vs8. This time, I spawn and get instantly bombed by an F35. Then I thought "3rd times a charm right?" and I spawn at the beach flag. I turn around just to watch as .50 caliber bullets tear through my body. They proceed to capture most of the flags, and our team ends up being spawn camped by attrition at the far north western flag.

Now that I got that wonderful story out of the way, here are the true reasons I hate this map:

1) Lopsided balance: There are never any stalemates like the 1942 version. Either one time gets owned, or it totally dominates the enemy team.

2) Planecampers: Both teams usually have 1/4th the team camping the Cobra/Z-10 spawn

3) Airpower: Dominates all, with AA sites being near useless when you can get sniped by some pilots

Re: Wake Island =

wake island works better when you play 32 or 64, have had some fun games, once usmc cap a flag on the island then the battle is on.

Comment

with AA sites being near useless
      Not only do you get bombed by planes or choppers you always have to worry about the sniper threat.. therefore AA sites are deathtraps. It is a fun map though when you get the right players and both sides are well balanced.

Comment

I would like to play wake more but like you i get poor performance = MEGA LAG, even with only 16 players....

Comment

wake island needs a mobile AA to spawn at the beach

Comment

I would say the majority of Wake Island games I've played have ended with the Chinese team destroying the other team. However, I have had a handful of games on the map that have ended pretty close.

Comment

Originally posted by barracudaj
              I would say the majority of Wake Island games I've played have ended with the Chinese team destroying the other team. However, I have had a handful of games on the map that have ended pretty close.

Actually, almost every single time I am on US, the US wins, but when I am on China, I lose The US has the massive advantage of being able to take the Chinese airfield, just get your team to work together, should be a piece of cake.

Wake is my favorite map to play, I love being on the US on it, as once the J-10s are down, they will never get back up

Comment

Originally posted by brianthebold
                Actually, almost every single time I am on US, the US wins, but when I am on China, I lose The US has the massive advantage of being able to take the Chinese airfield, just get your team to work together, should be a piece of cake.

Wake is my favorite map to play, I love being on the US on it, as once the J-10s are down, they will never get back up
                had a great round doing just that earlier, taking airfield then going from there, came 3rd on my team with 2 squad members 1st and 2nd... then got teamswitched to china in the last second... i cried lol

Comment

Originally posted by troybob
                  wake island needs a mobile AA to spawn at the beach

Actually, I think that would be a nice thing to add, mobile AA's are pretty powerfull, but not overly so, the only problem is, China would get it first every round, and they would have 2 J-10's, and a mobile AA..that is not balanced at all. Although they are pretty easy to kill, it blows trying to dogfight a J-10 while dodging AA..(Daquing)

Comment

Mobile AA would be so awesome because it would screw over all jet whores ( me lol ) and helicopters.

Comment

Originally posted by raidyr
                      3) Airpower: Dominates all, with AA sites being near useless when you can get sniped by some pilots
                      The trick with stationary AA sites (and this applies to all maps) against jets is to wait until you spot an enemy jet before jumping into it; NEVER just sit inside the AA, scanning for a target, otherwise you will be a free kill for any pilot (or sniper for that matter) in the area. Once you spot the enemy aircraft, wait until you are sure that he is not attacking your position (if you can, wait until he passes you, so that you can lead and fire at him from his 6 o'clock), then jump in and engage him by surprise. It takes a split second to get a lock-tone, fire, and then hop out and put some distance between you and the AA site since he will come looking for you if you don't take him down initially.

Also, a key element to this strategy, is to keep your distance from the AA site at all times while you're not actively shooting at a target; you need to keep clear just enough so that if a jet does come in and blindly attacks the AA launcher, you won't be hit by his machine gun fire, or his bomb splash. Usually 15-20 feet away is best; close enough to the AA where you can quickly sprint and access the launcher, but far enough that you won't be killed by bomb concussion (this obviously depends on the angle and direction of the bomb attack, relative to you, so it's not a guarantee that you'll survive at this distance, but any further, and the jet will be gone before you can reach the AA to fire at him)

Comment

Working...
                      X