Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FPS for all, well maybe everyone but me.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FPS for all, well maybe everyone but me.

I just got a new Nvideia Geforce FX5200 video card (256 mem) replacing my old radeon 9600 with 128 mem. However, when i run bf2 it seems to be about 1/2 my previous performance, I had bf2 show fps in game and it was almost always 15 (wouldnt show below 15 but i can just tell when its lower). I recently (not for this reason) reinstalled bf2 and the only lag fix ive done is set pb to scan hard drive every 475 seconds. Anyone have any idea if the video card is just "getting used to me" or what gives?
    *edit* i have, and have had 1 gig of ram for about half a year now.

Re: FPS for all, well maybe everyone but me.

To my knowledge, the 9600 is a much stronger card than the 5200.

This should also be in the Support section.

Comment

Originally posted by hebrewhammer14
      I just got a new Nvideia Geforce FX5200 video card (256 mem) replacing my old radeon 9600 with 128 mem. However, when i run bf2 it seems to be about 1/2 my previous performance, I had bf2 show fps in game and it was almost always 15 (wouldnt show below 15 but i can just tell when its lower). I recently (not for this reason) reinstalled bf2 and the only lag fix ive done is set pb to scan hard drive every 475 seconds. Anyone have any idea if the video card is just "getting used to me" or what gives?
      *edit* i have, and have had 1 gig of ram for about half a year now.
      XD XD XD XD XD

Comment

You should have researched more thoroughly to find the system requriments for BF2.

The 5200 series is not supported by the game. Good luck on getting the game to comply even with the latest Nvidia updates.

Comment

Garabaldi is correct, that 5200 is a lesser (?) card. I have seen the 5200 cards at several stores and been told how good they are by the salesman. (I have a 7800 GT OC) The short version is that it would be a good idea to take it back to the store and get a 7900 (Im not sure about the number, 7900 or there abouts). Its a really good card and not expensive, if you have the proper slot on your mother bord.
          At any rate I wouldnt run the game on anything less than a Nvidia 6600 or the radion version. Good luck. . . . . . . . . .Red

Comment

He is probably kicking himself right now :P

Comment

lol, you replaced a 9600 with a 5200? Sorry but that is hilarious! If you want a decent card for AGP then I would suggest a Geforce 6800 XT, it goes for around $125 USD and can run BF2 decently.

Comment

hahahaha how much did u pay? best buy still sell those for like $70

and the fx5200 is supported, it just didnt make the minimum requriements list becuz it isnt worth playing with a FX5200, but its not that incredibly bad. i used it for bf2 for a year until i got my nice 6800gt

Comment

Originally posted by Garabaldi
                  To my knowledge, the 9600 is a much stronger card than the 5200.

well the current card is 256 mem and the old was 128 so it seems logical that its better.
                  Originally posted by Monkmonkman
                  He is probably kicking himself right now :P
                  probably

Comment

I've been using the 5200 with BF2 for about 6 months now and have had no problems with it on XP or Vista Ultimate Edition with 1 gig of ram.

Comment

Why did you even get a FX5200?

Comment

To my knowledge, the 9600 (ATI) is a much stronger card than the 5200 (Nvidia/PNY).

different companies different product line number meaning.... maybe.... i guess that thing about kicking myself then.

Comment

Originally posted by hebrewhammer14
                          well the current card is 256 mem and the old was 128 so it seems logical that its better.

probably
                          Not at all.

Video memory is not the deciding factor in a cards performance. In fact, it is probably the last thing you want to base your decision on when buying a card.

The 9600 is much stronger than the 5200m and the 5200 is the absolute minimum supported card for BF2. You will be forced to play on low settings to achieve playable frame rates.

Comment

Not at all.

Video memory is not the deciding factor in a cards performance. In fact, it is probably the last thing you want to base your decision on when buying a card.

The 9600 is much stronger than the 5200m and the 5200 is the absolute minimum supported card for BF2. You will be forced to play on low settings to achieve playable frame rates.
                            i have been on low settings with both cards, i tried medium on the 9600 but not the 5200 yet but it was a distaster, and grenade sniper can attest to that one.
                            *edit* ps sorry for wrong section and thanks admin for moving it to the right one

Comment

if u havent already, return that card asap if possible. if u r stuck with it......:hmm:

Comment

Working...
                              X