Wireless Desktop Connection Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wireless Desktop Connection Problems

Hey everyone, at the moment I have a Westell 327W router that we have verizon dsl. On my desktop computer upstairs I am using a Linksys SpeedBooster 802.11g Wireless Desktop Card Model: WMP54GS. I do some online gaming on my upstairs computer and just normal internet usage and when I play my game and sometimes when I play my wireless connection is in and out. I may be connected for 10 minutes and then get completed disconnected and then after I find the available wireless network and get connected again, within 5-10 minutes it's doing the same thing again. I was wondering if I upgrade my wireless desktop card with one that has a higher wireless range would that solve the problem or does it apply to something within like the ip or something else. I am willing to change my downstairs router and wireless desktop card or anything else to get this fixed. If you could offer me some advice or assistance that would be greatly appreciated. If you need any links to what I have or any other information feel free to ask.

Thanks,
    Jeff

Re: Wireless Desktop Connection Problems

Latency is a killer of games. Wireless sufferes from signal problems due to household materials in construction and electronic equipment around you on the same freq. The only sure fire way to get a solid connection is hardwire.

I really feel you will just be tossing money away to get new hardware. You can try repositioning the laptop or the router, but thats about it.

Simon

Comment

Hey, alright I have a wire up to my computer upstairs and it has a connector on it. Is there anything I need to do on the computer to disable the wireless to switch over to a hard wire. Please let me know, Thanks!

Comment

usually with XP it is smart enough to do it by itself. Try it first and if it doesn't work, post here for setup help.

Comment

ok, I have been playing around with it and I have a connection I believe up, but no internet. In my network connections, under my LAN or high-speed section, I have the wireless disable and then what is called 1394 Connection 2. This connection has a speed of 400 mbps, but when I click on internet explorer it doesn't work. So I was wondering if you could help me from there? Thanks for your help!

Comment

go to START>CONTROL PANEL>INTERNET OPTIONS

Click on CONNECTIONS tab

Hit Setup

This should walk you through the internet setup wizard and allow the card to work instead of the wireless.

Comment

Hey alright I followed your advice and I went to set up so I could connect through the internet and then in the end I have a Verizon connected in my network connections, but when I disable the wireless connection the verizon gets disconnected also. I am kinda stumped.

Comment

go to START>CONTROL PANEL>NETWORK CONNECTION and make sure your local area connection is on. May say something in its name about 100. Make sure that is active.

If it is and you still have no joy,

Go to START>CONTROL PANEL>SYSTEM and click on the HARDWARE tab and then the device manager. Expand the NETWORK ADAPTERS area. Right click and uninstall the NIC card. If you are not sure which one that is, list everything here and I can pick it out. Then go to the menu ACTION and do SCAN FOR HARDWARE CHANGES and that should reload the nic driver. Reboot and try again.

Comment

Working...
                X