Bf2 just crashes... help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bf2 just crashes... help!

Hey i have an issue that i cant solve by myself. i have an ati radeon x800 pro agp gpu and 1gb of ram. When i put bf2s video settings on high it runs fine , but then after 5 mins of gameplay, it locks up, and i cant exit out or anything, and sometimes it restarts the computer. But, when i have the settings on all medium, it doesnt look as good, but it runs amazing. anyone know what might be causing this problem?

Re: Bf2 just crashes... help!

Not enough memory. You need 2 GB of RAM for High settings, and 1.5GB for medium settings.

Increase the size of your windows xp page file (google search).

Comment

by increasing the page file, will it fix anything?

edit: but my friend has 1gb of ram in his pc and a 7600gt 512 and his works just fine.

Comment

Could it be a heat issue??......a lack of RAM should not cause it to reset

Comment

bf2? crashing? noooooooooooooooooooooo. you're mistaken

Originally posted by O2zi3
          Could it be a heat issue??......a lack of RAM should not cause it to reset
          sounds like it

Comment

well the card has a fan on it and theres 3 fans in my case so that shouldnt be the problem, and i downloaded 1.41full to see if that would fix it and it didnt.

Comment

Well I assume the fan is working on the GPU??? have u got uptodate graphic drivers??......just cos u got lots of fans, it doesn't necessarily mean you have good cooling. Something is causing the GPU to shat itself.

Comment

It IS a lack of RAM, and your PC is set to restart the second it BSODs by default, hence the resets. Go to system properties, click the advanced tab, first settings button, change button and select a hard disk and select "custom size", then type in a number. I have a 4GB page file, make sure that both fields are set to the same number (i.e. 4096 and 4096) and then click Set, then press OK and it will prompt you to restart, but don't do this yet. Click the last settings button, and under system failure, you'll want to make sure the "automatically restart" box is UNTICKED and make sure the dropdown list is set to "small memory dump (64kb)". It will probably say either "kernel memory dump" or "full memory dump" and you don't want or need either of those.

Comment

It doesn't matter that your friends computer works. He is using a graphics card favored by EA. You are not using NVidia. You have different requirements.

Comment

Originally posted by camperstruck
                    It IS a lack of RAM, and your PC is set to restart the second it BSODs by default, hence the resets. Go to system properties, click the advanced tab, first settings button, change button and select a hard disk and select "custom size", then type in a number. I have a 4GB page file, make sure that both fields are set to the same number (i.e. 4096 and 4096) and then click Set, then press OK and it will prompt you to restart, but don't do this yet. Click the last settings button, and under system failure, you'll want to make sure the "automatically restart" box is UNTICKED and make sure the dropdown list is set to "small memory dump (64kb)". It will probably say either "kernel memory dump" or "full memory dump" and you don't want or need either of those.
                    The lockup is not caused by 1GB of RAM,. jesus christ learn about computing man. 1GB will work on BF2 with high settings, if anything it will be rather slow but NOT lockup.

What drivers are you using on yer gfx card to play the game? Have you updated your snd card drivers?

What have you done since the game worked fine?

Comment

Ive gotten the newest drivers from ati.com, the catalyst control center.

Originally posted by camperstruck
                      i did all what you said and if it doesnt work then oh well lol, my friend who had this card in his alienware before me said it worked fine on high settings, he also had 1 gb of ram. so wish my nooby a55 luck

Comment

I tried all of that and it still craps out on me. But!, i can put everything on medium and move the anti-aliasing up to 6x and it looks as if it was better than high, i dont know why its that way for me, but it works, thanks for all the help!

Comment

Originally posted by =TBS=Tonic
                          The lockup is not caused by 1GB of RAM,. jesus christ learn about computing man. 1GB will work on BF2 with high settings, if anything it will be rather slow but NOT lockup.

What drivers are you using on yer gfx card to play the game? Have you updated your snd card drivers?

What have you done since the game worked fine?
                          Piss off.

When a PC has low swap space and low memory, it WILL crash, unless you take drastic action, especially when it's stuffed full of spyware, stupid Apple programs that shouldn't exist because we have standards, file sharing clients, etc, etc. On high settings, BF2 takes some 880MB of RAM. That leaves 144MB of RAM for the background programs, and the windows kernel meaning there'll be some swapping going on. Now if there's no swapping, it's either a "Error: Out of virtual memory" or a BSOD. Knowing BF2, it'll be the latter.

Get a f*cking clue, I don't know his PC inside out, but from what I read i.e. crashing 5 mins in, WORKING ON MEDIUM SETTINGS, it sounds exactly like a memory problem.

Originally posted by Sgt. EradicatE
                          by increasing the page file, will it fix anything?

edit: but my friend has 1gb of ram in his pc and a 7600gt 512 and his works just fine.
                          He's got more RAM on the GFX card

Looking at your sig, it SHOULD run pefectly, even on high. What processes are running in the background?

Comment

all of those except printscreen, msnmsngr, and firefox, those are the programs running while bf2 is.

Comment

Working...
                            X