Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Video card upgrade.... worth it??

Hello all,

Just wondering if anyone would know how much benefit there would be (specifically for BF2 performance), in going from my current 128MB 6600GT to a 256MB 7600GT? Has anyone had back-to-back experience with these cards?

I can get the card for roughly $150 Cdn., and am willing to do that if I can get a bit of AA or at least better performance.

Thanks,

Re: Video card upgrade.... worth it??

the 7600 will kick the 7600's ***..not sure how it works in canada but you could get a 7900 GS for $175

Comment

What are your other specs?

The 7600GT will be much better than the 6600. If you have 2gb of RAM and a decent CPU, you will be able to run all high 2-4xAA @ 1280x1024.
      If you do want to get a 7600GT, i would get this one: http://www.ncix.com/products/index.p...s&promoid=1008

Comment

Originally posted by cloaker
        What are your other specs?

The 7600GT will be much better than the 6600. If you have 2gb of RAM and a decent CPU, you will be able to run all high 2-4xAA @ 1280x1024.
        If you do want to get a 7600GT, i would get this one: http://www.ncix.com/products/index.p...s&promoid=1008
        Other specs are 2GB, and Athlon 3700. I think the bottleneck currently is the graphics card.

I have a wide monitor running 1440x900.

I think the previous post was a typo.... did he mean 7900 kicks a 7600?? I was looking at a 7950, but it is $300 here.

Comment

oops he he..i meant that the 7600 will get you better performance than the 6600..but i still think you should consider buying the 7900 GS...i play all high at a 1400X1050 res. and get anywhere from 50-110 FPS

Comment

Night and day. the ram and the graphics processor of the 76 is going to rip the 66 in FPS and loading time.

Comment

The 7900gs is $180 on NCIX.com.

Comment

I heart my 7950 now. I say wait a little bit, prices should drop pretty dramatically and a 7950 will be around 225 USD. By that time I'm sure you'll have some more mulah saved up.

Comment

The 7600 GT is comparible to the 6800 GT in terms of performance. You will definately see a healthy boost in performance, but it's probably not going to be where you want it to be.

Comment

Originally posted by Madpistol
                    The 7600 GT is comparible to the 6800 GT in terms of performance. You will definately see a healthy boost in performance, but it's probably not going to be where you want it to be.
                    ^ i would tend to agree with that, however, the OP isn't comparing a 6800 gt to a 7600gt. the op is comparing a 6600gt to a 7600gt, which would actually provide a fairly nice performance/eyecandy increase.

edit...more pipes, faster clocks...the works. OP could OC his 6600gt for a nice boost, but a 7600gt is fairly reasonably priced.

meh...if i had a 6600gt and an agp system, i'd probably start saving pennies for a conroe/pci-e redux, unless i wasn't planning on rebuilding for another 12-18 months. in that case, a 7600gt is looking fairly sweet. the alternative would be to go full bore and buy a hefty psu + an agp 1950pro which would keep a body a happy gamer for 18+ months (until games started saying "fully dx10 compatible video acceleration" under sys req's), but that's A LOT of cash--upwards of $350USD.

Comment

I'll say you should wait for Geforce 7950gtx sli 512mb it will drop to like $350...around that yeah. mY 7950GTX SLI kick ***! it rock! I average get 70-130fps on my fraps say...on everything high and high res.

Comment

Originally posted by megawhompertoo
                        meh...if i had a 6600gt and an agp system, i'd probably start saving pennies for a conroe/pci-e redux, unless i wasn't planning on rebuilding for another 12-18 months.
                        Thanks for all the input!!! Maybe I'll fiddle with my 6600 and see if I can oc it a bit!!

BTW, I am currently running a 6600GT PCI-e, forgot to specify the bus...

I hope to go at least the next 12 months without a major rebuild. I think I'll watch the prices for a week or two, and if the 7900 or 7950's go down grab one of those, and if not pick up a 7600GT for the meantime.

Comment

Working...
                        X