Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Very bad FPS problem caused by grass sprites...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Very bad FPS problem caused by grass sprites...

After searching through my PC for a solution to the FPS drop I kept getting all of a sudden, I found out the cause:

^ You can see how the grass sprites don't look as they should (it's not always like this, but it's quite hard to replicate the change between crapped up sprites and detailed ones - when you move it switches between them depending on distance). Note that the FPS rate was 75, but dropped down to 41 when I took the screenshot for some odd reason.

^ In this screenshot, the FPS was always 18.1, no drop when taking the screenshot. Although, I'd say it was more like 5fps, it doesn't usually say the correct framerate (if you compare BF2's fps counter to CS's, you'll notice that BF2 doesn't seem to count below 15fps and reports anything below as that). The game is INCREDIBLY choppy when trying to play when these sprites are visible.

^ Here are the sprites how they SHOULD be, always. Notice the FPS counter is back to 37 showing no visual lag (was actually around 75 but dropped @ prtscrn).

EVERY setting in the options menu doesn't affect it. Sometimes the sprites stay crap and I get 30fps constant, other times it drops below 15. However, if I zoom from the top down, it's 75fps constant. Also, if the sprites draw correctly as in the last picture, then it's the same framerate (slightly higher sometimes).

I know this has something to do with the LOD bias setting in Rivatuner/NVTweak, but I can't work out how to force it to always draw the "nice" sprites.

Any ideas?

Re: Very bad FPS problem caused by grass sprites...

used to have that problem with my x1600 it lagged really bad when i zoomed in but ow with my 7900 i get 99.9fps when i zoom in

Comment

It seems it's a problem with anti-aliasing.

For instance, no AA:

Yet, with 16xAA, it's PERFECT (too bad it's a nice 5fps slideshow). The JPG image quality DOES NOT do this justice.

8xAA gives a playable 35fps, but I can't settle for so little [framerate, that is]. It's interesting, when I was in the 16xAA slideshow and hit the PRTSCRN button, it turned off AA altogether. It does similiar if you ALT+Tab between windows while the renderer is running too.

Now I have to choose between 2xAA, AxB (replace a and b with combinations of numbers from 1-4), Quincunx (Gaussian blur I'm assuming, SMOOTH performance running 90fps constant but blurs the ****e out of the text), and 4x, 4x 9-tap, and 4x supersampling.

What gives the best image quality v performance? (quincunx wins if the text wouldnt blur...)

The built in AA in BF2 works pretty well, just that the options are limited.

Comment

I'm just shooting in the dark, but what about possibly just reoptimizing your shaders? Dump the vid cache and see if that helps?

Simon

PS: Thanks for the quote

Comment

the built in aa doesnt turn off when you take a screenshot

Comment

I'm using the PRTSCRN button which freezes the whole PC for a second to take the screeny. Yeah, the built in AA doesn't turn off, but it's not exactly working nicely for me :P

Edit: Another thing, I just had it running at 4xSS and it was going @ from 100fps to 180fps constant, but with some pixellation on ropes. Really, really weird. I'm deleting the shaders now.

Comment

180 FPS?? what kind of specs you runnin mate??

Comment

E6300 (2.35GHz), 7600GT (620/1800) and 2GB 533MHZ RAM.
                Obviously, it's not usually like this, I don't know what exactly happened but it started behaving like CS (i.e. look at a wall it goes crazy with FPS). If I looked up at the sky or down at the ground, it would shoot to 180fps, and in firefights it would go to 110fps. It looked something like 2xAA, but some parts were still jagged. Also, some modes cause some crazy wallhack effect letting you see through the floor (no, I didn't exploit it, and it wouldn't even be practical).

Then I got a BSOD because my system speaker fell out of its socket and hit my fan (!!!).

Now I'm back to trying all the modes again. It's definitely a problem with AA, I got that narrowed down.

Edit: I just noticed something not very nice in Speedfan: Vcore = 1.26v, 12V+ = 7.55V (!!!!) and AVcc = 3.34V.

New PSU time as well?

As for the quote, it's the most fitting thing to describe the 8800GTX.

Just found out another thing - the FPS drop happens when I face in a certain direction. On Karkand, it's when I'm looking towars Train Accident from the Gatehouse, or from the USMC spawn at the front towards Hotel. It also happens in that little area between the USMC spawn point and the Hotel with an explosive barrel next to a stack of sandbags (if I look at it, my FPS DIES COMPLETELY).

Comment

7.55v is not good - have you checked that in other places that display voltage such as your bios and/or with a multimeter?

Comment

It's 11.9V in the BIOS. In the BIOS it displays the correct voltages.

I seem to have temporarily fixed the AA problem, by uninstalling forceware drivers and using the Tweaksrus drivers, but the whole grass zooming thing is still there. Any ideas?

Oh, and before, something happened to make it so bad that I couldn't even move in game, it was so laggy (low fps), I simply went to these (xtreme-g) drivers and the problem was gone, then I happened to go back to the original forcewares and it happens again. Why?

Comment

Working...
                    X