Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I have geforce 7950gtx sli 512mb is 8800 worth it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have geforce 7950gtx sli 512mb is 8800 worth it?

hey guys I went to www.newegg.com I saw dx 10 geforce 8800 it SOOOOOOOOOOO "FREAKIN" HUGE! I was wondering is it worth it? it has 1800mhz! I was not sure if will fit my tower or it will fit all tower? Please if you guys own one please tell me detailed about it I might order if...if is worth it.

Spec...
    geforce 7950gtx sli 512mb
    3gb of kingson ram
    Amd 64 x2 4400+ I think...not sure...
    150 rapter HD drive!

Re: I have geforce 7950gtx sli 512mb is 8800 worth it?

The 7950's are rather new cards, and considering you have two in SLI...you've spent enough on your system. UNless you have 600 dollars absolutely burning a hole in your pocket. Just remember, DX10 won't dominate the market for another 2 or even 3 years. So there is still use in DX9. That and you need Vista to run DX10. The 8800 is DX9 and 10 compatible. So you could use it for both of course. I'd say to wait.

Comment

Originally posted by punkboy459
      Please if you guys own one please tell me detailed about it I might order if...if is worth it.
      1) I don't own one.

2) It will certainly fit your tower, unless you have to use the slot under the pci-e slot where you'd like to plug your card in.

3) If you're independently wealthy, the sky is the limit and "worth it" is no issue. For the short term and for folks with a budget, however, there is no reason to go from 2x7950's to an 8800. It is the fastest card on the planet, but you aren't going to see any dramatic increases in the games you're playing now or for the next few months by splurging on the ONLY dx10 gpu on the market now. Suggest you wait until dx10 cards/vista go mainstream and are adopted by enough folks to support dx10-only games or games that are genuinely enhanced by the dx10 standard. Then, you won't be paying a premium for the exclusivity of dx10 pre-compatibility, you'll be paying for the hardware you're getting based on (almost) free-market principles.

Comment

^^Ditto.

Comment

Wait mate i run 2 x 7900gtx 512 in SLI, if you buy 8800gtx its money down the drain games at the moment dont need DX10, and a new version of the 8800's ie 8950 or 8900 will be out earlier this year and the 8800's will drop in price

Comment

Na i wud wait for a while it's not worth it yet thats the first dx10 card and there will be loads more to come shortly i wud wait till the end of summer then it wud be worth it there will be a card 4 times as good

Comment

The above posters are probably right. However...I will say my 8800 GTX is awesome, and there is noting in BF2 that slows it down. The amount of AA and AF you can run is amazing. And yes, the 8800 is massive.

Comment

enless u have a pci slot 2x the size of a standard size one it WILL NOT FIT!

good luck

Felix

Comment

Well it would be a little bit faster in BF2 and all the other games that wont support SLI. Besides your cards are in QuadSLI not SLI mode.

Comment

Originally posted by Mrt1989
                    Well it would be a little bit faster in BF2 and all the other games that wont support SLI. Besides your cards are in QuadSLI not SLI mode.
                    ?
                    doubtful and highly suspect statement that was.

Comment

Okay...when is Dx10 come out? Btw the crysis require dx 10? If so do I need a new card or can my card do dx 10 now or not?

Comment

You will need a new DX10 card and Vista to run Crysis. I would suggest that you get ATI R600's when they come out.

Comment

Originally posted by cloaker
                          You will need a new DX10 card and Vista to run Crysis. I would suggest that you get ATI R600's when they come out.
                          'sfar as i can tell, crysis will run on a dx9 card. obviously, the better the card, the better it will run.

dx10 will make the game prettier though. there's a new preview over at gamespot,
                          snip:
                          Originally posted by gamespot
                          "The high dynamic range lighting and extensive shadowing made the level feel sun-drenched. In terms of sheer fidelity, the DirectX 10 version was noticeably better than the DirectX 9 version of the game that we've seen on previous occasions. Both versions look amazing, but DirectX 10 simply looks better."

Comment

The R600 rapes every card out there except dual X1950XTXs in SLI running a shader heavy game. The 8800GTX performs less well than the SLI config by the way.

Comment

Just so you know he doesnt have that computer he always comes here and says that he does....he already made a video of his computer its an old White windows 2000 computer you dont need to help this kid

Comment

Working...
                              X