Rights of Hackers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Rights of Hackers

Cheating in a game is not what I would consider "classic" hacking. True hackers (as others mention) are getting into govt/industry systems and getting information or just causing havoc.

A game hacker is just a form of cheating. Basically the losers of the hacking world, if they are even really a part of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Jumintiger
      What are the rights of hackers? Can EA sue them (as if they cared but anyway)? I saw on a google search a snippet that said that hacking is defined as terrorism. Really, is there any major action people can do against them other than making programs like Punkbuster? Some hackers even have their pictures posted on the hackmaking site like ***. Doesn't a game company have a right to sue *** for this? I was just wondering what rights people have to ruin others' games.
      The biggest concern would be a violation of the DMCA such as:

http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=06/11/18/1950203

Basically circumvention is now an offense and can be prosecuted.

Similarly:

http://news.com.com/Blizzard+wins+on...3-5403899.html

It all depends on how far the game makers are willing to go. Do cheaters violate the DMCA? Probably. Can they be prosecuted? Probably. Will the cheaters be convicted? Probably because of the legal precedent set.

The only question that remains is what is the probability of being prosecuted. For people that simply use cheats? very tiny. For people that develope cheats? Getting larger by the day but still very small.

Rocker

Comment

Yeah VAC seems pretty worthless to me. I still see the same cheats and the same hacks. Meanwhile, I get banned just because people think I'm hacking because I'm playing good.

Comment

Originally posted by Maxor127
          Yeah VAC seems pretty worthless to me. I still see the same cheats and the same hacks. Meanwhile, I get banned just because people think I'm hacking because I'm playing good.
          VAC uses a "delay" ban system, were that user will be flaged down, and banned at a later date, so that hack creators don't actually know If there hacks work or not.

and were talking about PB GUID bans. server bans mean really nothing, since there are 1000's of servers.

Comment

Originally posted by Scinto
            true,, the program itself would be pretty good if it didnt include its own device driver that cause's the problems, ive been a victim of it and its a bloody pain.

ZOMG!!! off topic admin on the prowl!! (jk Scinto, please do not ban me. )

*edit* On topic, I do not know if legal action could be taken, I just wish that there was a spectator mode that people could take screenshots from, that might help. But then people would say there were photoshopped and whatnot I am sure....

Comment

I think banning them from BF2 is enough unless it is a VERY serious hack like one that crashes a erver or something.

Comment

Working...
              X