Great Team Morale and Communication

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great Team Morale and Communication

(Originally posted in basic commander tips, but thought this was worthy of sharing with everyone).

Something I learnt today; if you can get the ball rolling with your team, and command them effectively enough to enable them a foothold on the map, they then look to you a lot more, and really begin to follow your mostly-every command. I played as commander several times today, and they wanted to reinstate me as commander each round. Me doing what I do- supported the team and tried to coordinate them as best I could, pre-empting enemy movement with arty strikes, supplying isolated units with vehicles, indicating objective points with the radio commands and UAV.

We started off losing pretty badly- everyone was going in seperate directions,doing their own things as if it was counter-strike (non-clan CS of course),people just hovering around CPs instead of capturing them for some odd reason... or people just mindlessly running into a CP swarming with enemies, hoping to kill them all as if they were Rambo.

A round or 2 later (of the mindless lone-wolfing and poor-play), I built such a bond with the squads I was commanding, they would be as sure to recieve anything they ask of me, as I would be certain that they'd help me achieve any objective I set for them.

The greatest moment was when I said (in caps, because as commander, I need to be heard and I don't have a mic): "JOIN SQUADS/CREATE SQUADS", and soon enough- every bloody squad slot was occupied, where I started out commanding only 2 squads. At that point... I could only focus on the squads the had 4 members or more (to which there was 4 of those squads, which proved hard to manage especially when some squad leaders die and end up spawning too far away from their squad), the rest obviously created their squad out of 'fashion'.

It seemed the team morale got so good, they could conquer the map even without the commander's help; and thats what happened- I didn't have to say a word, they were already rapidly moving from point to point, capturing what they can, and eliminating every resistance they encounter; and everytime they are met with overwhelming resistance? the next 2-3 squads that were en-route to the objective point arrive in time to support them and finish off the enemy. It also completely amazed me when our base-point was being heavily raped; 3 squads and several lone-wolfers responded and came to my aid, rids the enemy, and fixes everything (destroyed commander assets). I'd never heard the 'Thank You' and 'Roger' radio commands get abused so much.

It had been the best few rounds I had ever played as commander.

Re: Great Team Morale and Communication

Sounds like some good times
    Sometimes you just need to point the team in the right direction, like typing "squad up" etc.. or encouragement. Its extremely satisfying playing a few rounds as commander where you completely decimate the map and everyone follows orders, the x2 is also good

Comment

I find the same works as a Squad Leader.
      If you can manage to create a squad with a name like Teamwork or something, give decent orders and even throw in a little VOIP people actually begin to listen and follow you. and trust me, if you're playing an unorganized enough team, a good squad of 5 can even take a map like 32 player Dalian Plant.
      Good times when you find people like that!

Comment

The same can work by simply being the guy that's yelling "Let's do this! Push them back!" and not be a commander.

It helps to get a little angry sometimes, and I went on a good killing spree last night and rallied the troops to take back the map.

All it took was me cheering them on, and charging into the fray getting a few runs of 10-15 kills before the rest of the team caught on and backed me up.

I don't usually say "good job, team" but we turned around an almost hopeless situation and won the round.

I just wish people would listen to me more in my squad/commanding so this would happen more often. Instead, people think we will take a difficult flag unharmed, and after a few deaths ruining their beloved K ratio they leave the squad.

Comment

Originally posted by ent|ty
          The same can work by simply being the guy that's yelling "Let's do this! Push them back!" and not be a commander.

It helps to get a little angry sometimes, and I went on a good killing spree last night and rallied the troops to take back the map.

All it took was me cheering them on, and charging into the fray getting a few runs of 10-15 kills before the rest of the team caught on and backed me up.

I don't usually say "good job, team" but we turned around an almost hopeless situation and won the round.

I just wish people would listen to me more in my squad/commanding so this would happen more often. Instead, people think we will take a difficult flag unharmed, and after a few deaths ruining their beloved K ratio they leave the squad.
          Well, I suppose listening to a calm and collected person rather than an 'angry' one is more desirable.

There was one part on Dragon Valley- I was on the USMC side (yes, my avvie is the Chinese flag, shush, this is a game :P), I told everyone to avoid the closest CP because the enemy defense is way too concentrated there, and too many of us are dying before we can even get there; I asked them all to take the marketplace (the point behind it) instead, as gaining that point will allow us a foothold, plus the enemy is so concentrated at the other point, they will take too long to pursue us as we go on to spread to areas BEHIND the marketplace. That was the turning point.

Commending squadmates is recommended- it's a good way to let them know they're noticed and are well appreciated, just as long as you're commending them for a good reason of course.

I once had a squadleader who sang to us "Spawn on me" (as opposed to 'Lean on me'), and of course, just out of some momentary fun- my SL was spending way too much time DEFENDING a CP that we were virtually surrounded, I suggested: "I like to move it move it!"
          Squad Leader: "You like to?"
          Me: "MOVE IT!"

And yeah, we moved, unfortunately- at that point (this was on Kubra Dam) our point was being severely raped, so... we couldn't get too far, because there were no more gaps to travel through without being shot at by half the opposing team.

Comment

I'm not gonna read anything, but the title is hilarious.

Comment

Originally posted by [AK]Lord_Of_War
              I'm not gonna read anything, but the title is hilarious.
              lol, okay- so it's almost non-existent in BF2, but when it happens- thats where all the magic is.

Comment

My first experience of real teamwork was on Mashuur City IO map as a squad member on the USMC side. The poor MEC players didn't stand a chance against a co-ordinated wave of USMC players....game was over in under 15 minutes. It was awesome to behold.

Comment

Working...
                X